Networking & Wireless forum

Question

What's The Easiest Wireless Router To Set Up?

by baybreeze / May 14, 2011 1:17 AM PDT

I am looking for a wireless router for my sister, who would not know the first thing about setting one up, so I'm trying to find one that's easy to set up. In my own experience, I've found Netgear to be pretty easy & quick. I've never had problems with them and they work great for me, however I always buy the more expensive, feature-rich routers. She doesnt' want to spend much and she only wants one to be able to connect her Nook Color via wi-fi to download books. She probably wouldn't need dual band, though in my opinion it wouldn't hurt to have it.

I've read a few reviews on some Belkins where people said they were easy, but I've never used a Belkin myself. I know Netgear is good as long as it comes with the easy set-up disc, but I think she wants to spend less. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's The Easiest Wireless Router To Set Up?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's The Easiest Wireless Router To Set Up?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Nod to the first answer but.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2011 3:03 AM PDT

Why can't you use your existing router? Tell more.

Collapse -
Routers not for me
by baybreeze / May 17, 2011 9:21 AM PDT

Because I'm looking for a router for my sister, who does not live with me. She ended up ordering a cheap Belkin model which she should get soon, so we'll see IF she can set it up w/o calling me over.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Hard/easy
by bill012 / May 15, 2011 10:29 PM PDT

I may not be the best to answer since I configure cisco routers from the command line.

All the major brands have very detailed manuals with pictures. The largest issues is many people do not read or follow the instructions.

The part that you cannot avoid that is complex is the security. Mostly you can use WPA2 and be good. What gets complex is some end user equipment will not support that so you have to figure out which option to use.

I hope your sister has a PC I don't think the nook has a ethernet port. There are few routers you can configure via wireless out of the box and the ones that do require a good understanding of how wireless works since you will be changing the settings on the connection you are running on.

Collapse -
The Easiest Wireless Router to Setup
by michelsmith / May 17, 2011 9:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Hard/easy

To setup wireless NETGEAR router, users have to first install the router software of driver that came with the purchase of the product. Users then need to run the network wizard on the system to configure the settings. Specific NETGEAR router models have different IP (Internet protocol) addresses and users would have to find out the specific IP from the login page of router connection and then setup the router accordingly

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.