Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

What's the difference?

by Kane54981 / May 2, 2011 12:23 PM PDT

Can some explain in detail the difference between a laptop, netbook and tablet?

Does a tablet work like a smartphone where you're always connected to the internet or does it need one of those cards like a laptop?

I need a education on these three items but nothing gets indepth in layman's terms and explains it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's the difference?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's the difference?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Major differences
by Willy / May 3, 2011 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: What's the difference?

Laptop - full features has all options as in like a desktop, though for laptop being mobile

Collapse -
buy a netbook / laptop now, wait for a tablet later
by beat_elite / May 5, 2011 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: What's the difference?

Laptops range from a 13 inch to a 17.3 inch screen typically and the price range for mid-range is usually anywhere from 300-700 dollars. They can weigh from 3-10 lbs but on average they are 5 lbs.They have the most power out of the 3 to handle applications and have faster processing for photo/video editing. They have the most harddrive space to store Music, Documents, Videos, Photos etc.

Netbooks are great for quick light weight travel. They are mainly cheap and have around an 8-11 inch screen. They are portable and can handle simple applications such as web browsing, Office productivity programs, viewing photos and playing some flash games. Most netbooks have a long battery life and can be used on average for up to 8 hours.

tablets are light-weight and are fairly new to the market and as such are more expensive. The operating system is arguably easier to use because it is based on simple touch gestures and applications are easily accessible. Their processing power is fair, but some tablets cannot use Flash *cough* IPad* cough*.However along with the down-side of price, they can't store too many videos, documents, music or w/e and have around an 8-32 gig harddrive space, If you plan on spending more for harddrive space I'd recommend getting a laptop.

As for your question on smart phones related to tablets, tablets can be connected to the internet all the time if you
1. Buy a tablet that has a 3G option
2. purchase a 3G data plan from a phone service that is compatible with the tablet(ATT goes with IPad, Verizon goes with Blackberry Playbook)

you don't need a card for it, as it is built into the tablet. Just make sure to pay for the plan to access it.

If you don't really want that feature for yourself, you can get a tablet with a Wi-Fi only option that is cheaper, but you can only connect to the internet via a hotspot in your home or a Mcdonalds, starbucks, Cafe etc.

If you do really want a tablet though, you should wait another 2-3 years for the price to drop down or for more options to be available on the market. at the moment I can only recall 3 tablets off the top of my head and none of them I would want to buy now. I'd especially avoid the Ipad 2 because it really doesn't have too many more improvements than the Ipad 1.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.