Windows 7 forum

General discussion

What's the best way to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7?

by netmark72 / December 15, 2010 9:07 PM PST

Thinking of upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 and trying to decide whether to upgrade or clean install. The problem I have is that my laptop manufacturer didn't supply disks with drivers, etc, so if I clean install, I presume I'll lose these apps. I've heard that the alternative (upgrading) can leave remenants of Vista which can affect the performance of Windows 7. A third alternative I thought, is to first reinstall Vista from scratch using the recovery disks (therefore creating a 'clean' version of Vista with all apps supplied when I bought the laptop) and then imediately upgrade to Windows 7. I'm hoping that upgrading from a brand new clean version of Vista might eliminate the problems associated with upgrading from a well used version of Vista. Does anyone think this would have the same effect on performance as a clean install of Windows 7?

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's the best way to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's the best way to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This can't be answered.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2010 9:16 PM PST

For example my Sony and Dell have those apps for download at the company sites. So for those machines a clean install works great. But then again an owner challenged by not looking for such would be best off trying to upgrade the OS.

Your last question is also one that could only be answered by TESTING both methods and BENCHMARKING the results. Since no one has done that I'll write that anecdotal evidence points to clean installs followed with finding and install all drivers and helper apps (like Dell's quickset and Intel's Rapid Storage Solution) points out that clean can win.

As the 32 to 64, 32 to 32, 64 to 32 and 64 to 64 bit question has been covered many times, I'll leave that question as answered.

Collapse -
About performance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2010 12:37 AM PST

While most find 7 boots and feels much faster overall, tasks such as rendering a DVD complete in about the same time. This is because this is CPU intensive work and the OS does not speed up the machine.

But it's a great step up in my opinion.

Collapse -
Win 7 Install
by kedscnet / December 16, 2010 5:40 AM PST

This is easy!

Do the upgrade, not a clean install.

The upgrade takes only 30 minutes or so, and you do not have to worry about drivers for most things. During the upgrade, the installer may ask you do remove some programs or drivers. The installation will then supply the appropriate driver for everything. In addition, drivers such as the chip-set drive do not need to be installed, as they are retained.

The upgrade retains ALL of your installed programs and data, so you will be ready to go in less than an hour, without having to reinstall ALL of your apps again along with several drivers, a savings of two days or so. You will probably need to install the latest driver for your video card,in addition to some hardware such as printers, etc, but these will all work initially. You may need to reinstall older programs, such as utilities, which are not compatible with Win 7, with Win 7 versions.

Just make sure you back-up any data, pictures, songs, etc. just in case something bad happens.

I did the upgrade on two Dell laptops, with 100% success. Do not listen to users that say you must do a fresh install. There are many out there that think you need to do a fresh install of the OS every several months to remove junk, viruses, etc. I do not believe in this route, although I don't visit sites that are prone to problems. With the upgrade, there is really nothing left over to cause problems, except for anything that has infected some of your data files. These would still be a problem if you did a clean install.

Collapse -
by netmark72 / December 17, 2010 12:15 AM PST
In reply to: Win 7 Install

Thanks for the advice. When you made the switch from Vista to 7, did you notice a big improvement in performance? My wife and I have identical laptops and both can be unstable and are very slow despite having decent specs. I've read a lot of positive reviews so I'm hoping the outlay on the upgrade software will sort this out!

Collapse -
Win 7
by kedscnet / December 17, 2010 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: Performance.

The performance (speed)is somewhat faster, but the real improvement is reliability. Blue screens are rare. Problems that would freeze the computer with Vista and XP usually resolve themselves in a few seconds - most rebooting is eliminated.

Speed is relative. I just did some installs which were proving difficult. When I set the MSConfig to not load the few non-Window's services I have load during boot-up, the speed of all operations was at least three times faster, something I had not expected. I am going to investigate to see which of these I really can live without.

Collapse -
Best Way
by FiOS-Dave / December 17, 2010 2:35 PM PST

Buy a copy of PCtools PCMover. This will retain all your installed software. You should have an external hard drive, which PCtools will use to create a file with all your programs, data and install info.
You then do a clean install, which is highly recommended, in order to wipe out any garbage from your old installation, and then run the PCtools program again to transfer all your old stuff back.
You don't need any of the fancier versions, unless you want to install on another computer, as well, since the base version only allows for one installation.

Collapse -
By All Means Go with Win 7
by rwscolari / December 17, 2010 10:16 PM PST

Windows 7 is one of the best, if the not the best, OS that Microsoft has developed. By all means up grade. I personally prefer a clean install and have gone with the 64bit version on all of my computers. It is faster if the app supports it. Overtime computers pick up "junk". The clean install removes it. You will have to re-install your apps and this is a pain, but the end result is worth it.

Win 7 fixes itself so you, the operator, never see the problem. It boots faster; it shuts down faster.
In the year I've been using Win 7 (v. XP & vista) I've yet to see a blue screen.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.