PC Hardware forum

General discussion

What's the best way to transfer data from one PC to another?

by bigelowbkm / November 7, 2006 11:01 PM PST

Hi--I'm a freelance editor and I need to go mobile. In January 2007, I'm getting a laptop (probably a Dell Inspiron 1505). Right now, I have a Dell desktop (Dell Dimension 4550, Pentium 4 CPU, 2.53 GHz, 512 RAM) with Windows XP. Over the past four years, I've created many important files in Word and Excel. I've also downloaded a lot of programs (Adobe Standard 7.0, WinZip, CuteFTP 8, Java, ScanSnap Manager, and others). I don't want to lose anything when I switch to a laptop. Forum people: please help! What's the best way to transfer everything from my desktop to a new laptop?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's the best way to transfer data from one PC to another?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's the best way to transfer data from one PC to another?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ideas...
by Willy / November 7, 2006 11:30 PM PST

Here are some ideas, what if any work for you depends on what you're willing to do.

1) laplink type connection(with laplink s/w)
2) mini-network via ethernet (desktop &laptop)
3) USB port network
4) flash drives
5) burn to DVD or CD
6) use www service to FTP data
7) use ext. HD via USB or firewire

These do work, but again it depnds on s/w or h/w and/or purchases you need to get.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Laplink
by Jtabor5740 / June 22, 2009 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Ideas...

Laplink used to be a good product however I would not recommend it to anyone. 1st they have made it so that you can only install it once - very bad idea. I use to use laplink in my business to transfer my customers data now I would have to buy a new one for each computer I wanted to transfer data to - that could be very expensive. Also, laplink cables are not recognized on older computers. I tried it on two computers with windows 98 and Milinum and neither computer recognized the USB cables. LAPLINK is a VERY POOR Product.

Collapse -
backup and transfer
by linkit / November 7, 2006 11:41 PM PST

Those ''many important files'' and other ''can't lose'' files get burned to optical disc (CD, DVD) as a backup, regardless of how they may be transferred in the future.

For the transfer, you can use whatever removable media makes sense for the number and size of files you need to transfer. CD, DVD, USB flash drive, external hard drive, etc.

My preferred method is to transfer the files over the network I created by plugging the two computers into a router.

Don't forget to backup and transfer bookmarks/favorites, email, contacts, etc. Remember those software serial numbers, activation codes, and product keys, too!

Collapse -
No all-in-one solution?
by bigelowbkm / November 8, 2006 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: backup and transfer

Thanks Willy and Linkit!

Hmmm ... I was hoping someone would recommend a miraculous all-in-one transfer software, but it seems it's not going to be that easy! I'm heading to OfficeMax for the CDs, but I'm a little confused about transferring the programs v. the files. Does every program need to be reloaded, either by CD or a network download? And how do I transfer bookmarks, email, contacts, desktop, etc. Also, how do laplink and mini-network/router methods work? I have a router set up in my office (upstairs) so that my son can access the Internet on another desktop (downstairs). Are you referring to the same type of router?

Write when you can, okay?

Collapse -
I believe in miracles, but we are talking computers here
by linkit / November 8, 2006 12:50 AM PST

In general, operating systems and programs are not transferable. They are tied to one computer's hardware profile.

Retail versions of some programs (as opposed to OEM versions that come bundled with computers) may be INSTALLED (not transfered) on the new computer; but all this depends on the program's licensing agreement.

Windows XP does have a utility that can transfer some files and settings, but it is far from comprehensive. Google: FILES AND SETTINGS TRANSFER WIZARD. The links will tell you what it does and does not do.

For each program, use Google.com to find how to backup/transfer files and settings.

Some keywords:
backup My Documents
backup IE favorites
backup bookmarks
backup Outlook
backup Outlook Express
Backup Firefox profile
(you get the idea)

ROUTERS? Yep, the same type of router that allows two or more computers to connect to it.

Collapse -
Gotcha!
by bigelowbkm / November 8, 2006 10:14 PM PST

Great! That's exactly the kind of info I need. Thanks!

Collapse -
Aloha Bob
by Bozz5384 / November 10, 2006 10:32 PM PST

There is a program that will take most of the pain out of it for you, it is called "Aloha Bob"... sounds silly, but from what I understand (not first hand experience), it takes the pain out of transferring your documents, settings, email, bookmarks, etc.

Priced at $40 or so its a pretty good bargain.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Aloha Bob
by treetis / November 29, 2009 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: Aloha Bob

Hi, Does Aloha Bob transfer MS Works program? Thanks, Treetis

Collapse -
Generally speaking ...you have to reinstall PROGRAMS or
by VAPCMD / November 29, 2009 7:10 AM PST
In reply to: Aloha Bob

APPLICATION SOFTWARE as it puts files in various directories on the drive with the OS.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
transfering data
by rober49 / June 13, 2007 7:43 AM PDT

how to transfer files from one pc to another

Collapse -
If I were you ...
by Kees Bakker / June 13, 2007 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: transfering data

I would start studying the first 7 posts in this thread. Then maybe ask some questions about it if somethings isn't clear or you want advice for your particular circumstances. But you have to tell them then.

Kees

Collapse -
Here is another idea for transfering ..
by weniamrdy2 / August 8, 2007 6:35 AM PDT

Hi,

I would also suggest The Tornado File and Data Transfer System w/PC Eraser Software. I got mine on QVC.com. I think it costs @ $50.00 it's often offered in 2 ez payments.
I strongly suggest you check out the customer reviews for the Tornado on qvc.com.
I'm preparing my older PC to add files to my new Gateway. I'll give you a update when done.
Very good luck whatever you decide.

Weniamrdy

Carpe Diem!

Collapse -
Transfer data from laptop to a pc
by thefayco / May 12, 2009 5:23 AM PDT

Would like to transfer data from Toshiba laptop to Apple computer.

Collapse -
Repost your thread
by Willy / May 13, 2009 2:05 PM PDT

Your question was placed on a post generated in 2006. Posting as a new question should give you more responses.

A quick answer to your question, use either a USB flash drive or DVD/CDs supported by both systems. A small network setup should work too.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks
by treetis / November 30, 2009 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: Repost your thread

Thx a bunch, Ty

Collapse -
Additional question
by gran33 / June 15, 2010 8:23 AM PDT

To tag onto the question being asked here -- I'm wanting to transfer data from a computer where the screen has gone dead. Do you have any suggestions for transferring data without being able to access it? externally perhaps?

Collapse -
great
by bdargo / July 1, 2010 12:12 AM PDT

I am glad your problem was solved

Collapse -
Best way to transfer data

I think the best and easiest way to transfer data from once pc to another is networking. You need to connect you desktop pc and laptop through a cross cable and configure IP address on both. Then you can share everything from your desktop pc to laptop.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.