Laptops forum

General discussion

What's the best photo printer, copier and scanner.

by fishhatch / October 5, 2004 11:53 PM PDT

I'm looking for a good photo printer, copier and scanner for home use with notebook and nikon digital camera (5200). Maybe under 400.00. If there is a better forum for this info please assist. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's the best photo printer, copier and scanner.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's the best photo printer, copier and scanner.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: What's the best photo printer, copier and scanner.
by KenSanramon / October 6, 2004 4:43 AM PDT

HP is selling out a great multifunction unit right now that has all the camera card slots, a viewing pop up screen on the top for viewing the photos off the flash memory card, a fax, a copier, a scanner, etc (it does not have a sheet feeder as it is a flatbed copier/scanner).

These have been retail $299 for a long time but HP is coming out with new models so this week at Office Max (in store stock only) they are $199 after rebates.

The new HP models coming out are faster supposedly.

Also Fry's Electronics is selling out the same model refurbished for $179.

Canon multifunction printers ($199 retail with fax) are great if you have a Canon camera has it has a dedicated port where you can select and print the photo directly from the Camera. They also have all the flash card slots for other cameras but don't have the viewing pop up screen on the printer the HP printer has.

Epson makes some excellent models but I have not seen one with a fax included.

Collapse -
by fishhatch / October 6, 2004 5:26 AM PDT

Do you know anything about the Epson Stylus Photo RX500. Fax is not all that important, if it prints good looking pics up to 8x10.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2004 5:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
by KenSanramon / October 6, 2004 9:26 AM PDT

I have an older Epson dedicated Photo printer (that had a PC card slot instead of the multiple card slots like most printers have now for photo printing) and it did print very well.

Note that printers with more colors as opposed to less will print better photos and also buying a more expensive machine with separate color tanks will save you money if you print a lot of photos (as you only replace what color you use up instead of tossing the entire print cartridge).

What is the cost for this model ? If it is over $200 look at the HP model I mentioned on closeout as that has it all (including the pop up photo viewing screen). If you always print from the computer that does not matter as much but if you want to print directly from the flash card it makes a huge difference (otherwise you have to print out an index page to tell the printer which photo you want to print).

Collapse -
by fishhatch / October 6, 2004 11:25 PM PDT

Ken, Bob:

The RX500 is cheapest at Office Depot for 248.84. The RX600 is 280.00 after rebate at Best Buy. Thats 70.00 cheaper than any other store in my area. I haven't checked out the HP's yet. Thanks.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / October 7, 2004 4:21 AM PDT

Fry's Electronics has a 1 day sale on the Canon MP390 I told you about -- fax/copier/flatbed scanner/port for direct printing of canon cameras and all flash card slots. We have one of these and it is all black with a silver lid.

It is $199 - a $50 instant rebate at Fry's Electronics today only (Thursday) or $150 .. you can't beat that for a true multifunction printer.

As I stated, the also excellent HP unit normally $299 is being sold out for $199 at Office Max (they may all be gone already) with everything the Canon has (except for Direct print) and it also has the pop up photo viewing screen (for selecting and printing photos from flash cards inserted into the printer directly without printing a thumbnail page like on the Epsons or the Canon if you are not using direct print with a Canon Camera.

Also, as I said Fry's had this HP multifunction unit for 179 refurbished and they are having 1 day only specials tomorrow (Friday 10/8) as well so check it out.

Otherwise, hit Office Max as getting an Epson for over $200 without a fax when you can get an Canon or HP loaded with a fax for under $200 seems a bit of a waste.

I picked up 2 Canon MP360 printers which had everything the MP390 has except for the fax for $50 after rebates at Fry's Electronics a few weeks ago.
That was a closeout however the MP370 is similar and available for $150 before any diacounts but why not get the MP390 with fax today for $150 with the instant discount at Fry's !

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / October 7, 2004 4:22 AM PDT

The HP and Canon prices are very low as they are swapping out models and selling out the existing ones for much less. Supposedly the new HP printers will print faster but these units are all still great.

Collapse -
by fishhatch / October 12, 2004 10:50 PM PDT

Thanks for all the great help. I went with the epson rx600 at best buy for 220.00 after rebates and gift card i thought was a deal not to pass up. We have a fax already, and we liked the extras of the rx600 with negative/slide reading slot, also 6 individual ink cartridges. Thanks again. I will be posting a user rating on this printer soon.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / October 13, 2004 4:28 AM PDT

The Epson should be great for you if you don't need a fax. Note that the HP and Canon great closeout prices (I just bought another MP390 on a 1 day sale at Fry's on Saturday for 129.99 (regular 199) as both HP and Canon have introduced new models. Now the HP has a 199.99 multifunction model (including fax) with the photo pop up viewer for 199.99 and it is smaller and faster than the older larger unit for 299.99

Canon has just introduced a model that allows printing photos through the air from certain cell phones. In addition, it still has the Canon Direct print (for Canon cameras) and the photo card slots and other multifunction uses.

But printers with the separate ink tanks are more expensive to buy initially (but cheaper in cost over time) so that will be good for your use if you use it for photos alot.

Collapse -
Best possible printer around - especially for pictures
by dhett1214 / September 11, 2008 12:41 AM PDT

I do a lot of photography as well as my daughter. I need to know if you can provide me with a list of the best printers out there for pictures and regular work. I want a printer, scanner and copier - fax is not an issue. Please respond. Thank you.

Collapse -
Look at this discussion's date.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2008 12:45 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.