Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

What's safe to delete from Registry?

by edismobile / January 6, 2006 5:06 PM PST

Hi,
I would value your opinions please as I have only just started to delve within the registry due to having problems with locking up etc.
I have downloaded Tweak and now have the following question to ask.
Having deleted the 'Safe to delete' entries, there are some under 'Unsure' that I have left.
One has in the title.... microsoft laugh??? (can't remember the exact name)...what in God's name is this one for? and, is it safe to remove?
Also, gow do I find out what each registry entry means/ is for/ is related to which program etc?
I an using WXP Pro
Many thanks,
Ed

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's safe to delete from Registry?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's safe to delete from Registry?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I do. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 6, 2006 9:54 PM PST

First thing I do is back up the registry. Then I search for entries for programs I have uninstalled. I also use a program called RegScrubXP. It will search for orphaned entries and remove them. I also use Norton System Works WinDoctor.

One word of caution. Removing even a benign looking entry can completely hose up your system. Be careful and back it up first.

Wayne

Wrinkles only go where smiles have been - JB
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
backup registry
by edismobile / January 7, 2006 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: What I do. . .

Hi,
Thanks Wayne for that.
I didn't back up my entries when I used Tweak Now, tho it said that it was safe to delete them...I can trust what it tells me, can't I??????
As I am back online and rebooted ok I think tho that it's ok, this time!!!
Is there anywhere that I can get a list of what entries should be in the registry..or is it best not to poke around in there at my level of in-expertise?
Thanks again.
Ed

Collapse -
Ed, Making a Registry Backup Is ALWAYS Best
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 7, 2006 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: backup registry

...and NO, don't trust third party programs to make the correct decision. (Although you were able to get back online, it only means that those particular programs were left untouched..You still might have an issue when opening a word processing document, or running a media player, or all of the other programs that worked before.) That said, Tweak Now should allow you to restore many of the items it's changed and it's usually safe but it's always a good idea to make a backup before making any changes..Here's how:

IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE, BE CAREFUL. First, make a backup of the Registry. Click on Start-Run. When the box opens type in "regedit" (without the quotes). Click Ok. When the Registry Editor window opens, click on the "My Computer" entry so it is highlighted. Next, click on "Registry" in the upper left corner of the window, ("File" in Windows 2000/XP) choose "Export Registry File" (or "Export" in Windows 2000/XP). When the next window opens, be sure of the location where you are saving it to (I direct it to my desktop for easy access) and give the file a name like Backup. Click "Save". You now have a backup registry that can be double clicked and will replace the new one you?re going to make, IF you make any deletions you don't like..

As far as to which registry changes are "correct" and which ones aren't, try checking on "Google". Or post back here and we might have some input.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
registry
by edismobile / January 7, 2006 4:31 AM PST

Thanks Grif,
now you have really scared the teeth out of me!!!!
Think I will leave well alone unless I need to dive in there again.
I may undelete the registry items that Tweak Now deleted, and back up the registry before redeleting them. Then again tho, I may just wait and see what happens.
thanks again for your help,
Ed

Collapse -
RE Reg BU's
by caktus / January 8, 2006 5:34 PM PST
In reply to: backup registry

I've found it is usually helpful when making a Reg BU to open the individual key folder or parent key folder, right click on it, then left click on "Export", then saving. This ensures that the correct file is saved. Also, backing up an entire HKey or the entire registry ocassionally results in a corrupt saved BU.

As Grif recommendad, always back up before editing. Crashing the system is as easy as making a typo.

Collapse -
Ed, do you have System Restore turned on?
by Paul C / January 7, 2006 6:41 PM PST

If so, you're covered as long as there has been a restore point created before you make changes - IF those changes don't totally ruin your Windows install, that is.

You may wish to get into the habit of creating a restore point prior to doing anything of this nature - just in case. It may not save you in the event of a major whoopsie, but may save you from a minor one...

Collapse -
Addendum:
by Paul C / January 7, 2006 6:50 PM PST

A trouble free Windows installation, IMO, requires many ways to recover from system disasters. A good backup system is one of them. Do you have one? If so, good. If not, it's time to get one...

Collapse -
restore
by edismobile / January 7, 2006 8:37 PM PST
In reply to: Addendum:

hiya,
yes, i do have Restore on and use it occasionally as my Son has a habit of, well, you know how it is with teenagers?????
think I will start using the abacus again now..
thanks,
Ed

Collapse -
LOL!
by Paul C / January 8, 2006 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: restore

Yes, I do know the issues with teenagers...

Just remember to get the abacus with a battery backup... Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.