Desktops forum

Question

What's important when building desktop?

by zacthebyrd / November 21, 2011 6:53 AM PST

I am looking into building my own desktop for two purposes, watching movies, specifically blu ray movies and movie files i have on an external hdd and playing the occassional computer game but im not a hard core gamer. Specifically i will be playing RPGs like Skyrim and Fallout. What should be my most important parts I shouldn't skimp on and what is the basic standard to do all this?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's important when building desktop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's important when building desktop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
After watching many build such things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2011 7:12 AM PST

The biggest lessons seem to be that you will have an unreliable machine at times. No seller of the parts is giving you instructions about heat sink compound or how to install Windows.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Its not that hard
by TWB404 / November 22, 2011 2:28 AM PST

The main components for a gamer will be the MOBO, CPU, and the video card. I could really fire up the fanboys on the which one to choose so I will let you do your research on them. When your ready to make a purchase I recommend you look at Newegg. They offer good tech support but they will not walk you thru it if your a total noob when it comes to the build.

http://www.newegg.com/

Loading Windows is not the hard part as long as you can read and answer a couple of questions. The hard part comes when you have to load the drivers for the components you choose. I can guarantee you that the drivers on the CD that comes with the component will be out of date and the best thing you can do is to have another puter ready to download the latest drivers then burn them to a CD or DVD. I recommend that you load the motherboard drivers first, then video drivers, then the network drivers, your audio drivers if you buy a separate audio card and anything else that will require drivers. Windows loads generic drivers for the keyboard, mouse, hard drive and CD\DVD. If they come with a driver CD its worth a look at them and see if you like the extra feature they might add. Just remember that the drivers are going to make or break the system.

I do recommend that if you have never done this before that you do a LOT of research on what your getting yourself into. Make sure you handle the boards correctly and follow anti static procedures to the letter. Bob is right when it comes to the heat sink compond. That is the one area I see a lot of noob miss or skimp on. Buy the upper grades and make sure you apply it correctly. It will save you money down the road.

In the end, if you do it right, and follow the correct procedures you will end up with a much better system then you can buy from any brand name company out there. The best thing of all, is you will not have any bloatware or corporate spyware if you choose wisely.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.