Laptops forum

Question

What's causing my laptop to heat and freeze?

by vkaraminassian / April 11, 2013 12:46 AM PDT

I have recently had my laptop fan replaced because it was making very disturbing noises. Seems like one issue was fixed but another created...

Ever since the fan replacement and my laptop is heating like never before (thank goodness I have a laptop cooling station). Moreover, I'm also experiencing system freezes that never existed before. For example, almost everytime I want to open a new tab on my browser, the system freezes a few seconds. I either cancel the command or wait a while until the page loads. Another example is the desktop. Everytime I want to drag a file into a desktop folder or even the Recycle Bin, the system freezes.
I have no idea if the heating and freezing incidents are related or not, and don't have the least idea what to do. I sure don't want to spend more money.
Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Vik

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's causing my laptop to heat and freeze?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's causing my laptop to heat and freeze?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
No make or model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2013 1:03 AM PDT

But if this was mine I'd pull the heatsink off to wipe off the heatsink compound and apply it fresh.

There can be some infection but your post makes me want to be sure the heatsink compound is fresh (some shops just don't apply it!) and then you would see this.

Here's a link about scans Grif would do -> http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Bob

Collapse -
PS. I thought you may want to know why the model matters
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2013 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: No make or model.

Some use the 8600m GPU or is a model with known issues. Without the model I can't offer as good an answer.

Collapse -
Re:
by vkaraminassian / April 11, 2013 2:46 AM PDT

Sorry I missed to mention that it's a VAIO VGN-SZ483N model.

Collapse -
Re:
by vkaraminassian / April 11, 2013 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: No make or model.

Thanks Bob.
Sorry I missed to mention that it's a VAIO VGN-SZ483N model.

Weren't they supposed to check the heatsink during the fan replacement? I've never done this before. Is it easy to pull it off?

Alternatively, I will follow Grif's instructions I guess.

Vik

Collapse -
Nice model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2013 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:
http://www.sony-asia.com/product/vgn-sz483n

Nice specs and I can see if someone tried to install the OS from scratch it could result in a system that draws more power than normal.

As to your question, I've encountered so many bad techs over the years I have to check the work when such a machine shows up. I haven't seen this model so I can't answer the question. I will write that here in the USA Sony's service has been very good. Some may flame them about wiping their files or not being able to repair Windows without the factory OS install but so far, they've done service well.

So that's my thoughts. Again.
1. Scan per Grif's notes.
2. Use the factory OS as-is.
3. Refresh the heat sink compound.

If this unit is used on games, it will heat up just like most if not all laptops.
Bob
Collapse -
Re:
by vkaraminassian / April 11, 2013 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Nice model.

Fair enough. Thanks for the support Bob!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.