TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What reciever and sub will be best...

by JonM81 / September 21, 2007 2:07 PM PDT

Well I have search several forums and still undecided. Here is what I have and what I am looking for...

The Room:
3000cu. ft. 25x15 TV room w/ hard wood floor w/ a cased open to the front. We sit long way veiwing in the room. I know we need a throw rug and heavier drapes on our winder for acoustics...

Current Equipment:
36" JVC Tube w/ Cable from the wall... (no box)
Yamaha 5 disc DVD and 5 speakers from remaining HTIB DVD-C700.

The sub stopped working (if it ever worked) but it was only a 6.5" driver. We need a reciever that will accomidate the 5 speakers and a 12" powered sub in the tv room, then I want to install a single speaker outside under the patio. We are into action/comedy DVDs, sports, a few shows and music. We are not looking for HIGH end material.

Here's what I like:
Yamaha RX-V661 Reciever. I may grow into it... lol
I am really undecided on the sub... I read good and bad about Velodyne, Klipsch, and Polk... Hear good about eD and Hsu stuff, but hard to go listen too. All I know is I want good bass, don't know if it needs to be ported on sealed...

Any help appreciated!!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What reciever and sub will be best...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What reciever and sub will be best...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Duh
by JonM81 / September 21, 2007 2:11 PM PDT

Sorry, is there not an "edit post" function...

Apparently, I can't spell and drink at the same time! Grin

I am from south Texas, but I don't refer to my windows as "winders"!

LoL

Collapse -
Yes, but you do probably pronounce "all" & "oil" as
by NM_Bill / September 22, 2007 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Duh

indistinguishly the same as perceived by the ears of us from other parts of the country.

Collapse -
Now Don't Mess With Texas...
by RockL / September 24, 2007 11:59 PM PDT

Y'all are really steppin' on some toes, now. Or, should I say... "All Y'all" (meaning that every one within the Milky Way ) are hurtin' some feelins. Just remember, Michael Dell is a Texan... for whatever that is worth.

Collapse -
yup
by jostenmeat / September 21, 2007 2:53 PM PDT

Elemental and HSU have great reps. Add SVS to the list. Don't worry about sealed vs ported. Sealed has a more gradual roll-off, whatever, not a big deal. Even if Klipsch and Polk might have a nice model or two, I would really give SVS a shot, but I must admit I have been brainwashed. SVS has the edge in HT over HSU it seems, where HSU is a bit more musical. SVS looks decidely better, but HSU has the better warranty. Im not too familiar with eD, except they are known to be excellent values. I am pretty sure you will be happy with any of these, just make sure to get the best you can afford. Decent room that is open...

good idea, the throw rug and drapes, but thats more for frequencies higher than the sub's. The sub might have to be dealt with in other ways, but I wouldn't sweat it until you do get to "HIGH" end...

Collapse -
LoL
by JonM81 / September 21, 2007 3:06 PM PDT
In reply to: yup

I have yet looked into SVS, with a quick glance at the website, I am still looking at a 400-500.00 sub.

If I am 12-15ft from my TV (and sub) can I get away with a 10" driver. I know a 12" would suit my room better. I have read mixed reviews on this as well.

I am tempted to go with a Yamaha YST-SW315 10" 270. I read that it most likely doesn't reach the 20Hz it claims to tho... Anything has to be better than what I have now... Would an "average joe" be ******** for goin this route??

Collapse -
hm
by jostenmeat / September 21, 2007 4:34 PM PDT
In reply to: LoL

err. You are correct in that driver size is of importance, as well as the size of the cabinet, power of the amp, and design in general. But, there are many 10" subs that WAY outclass plenty of 12" subs. So, 400-500 is way out of budget? You never really said before. Yes, specs.... 20hz.... hm. I once tested a sub rated to go down to 25hz @-3db, and I was pretty darn disappointed, quite tubby, which brings up River's rec to listen. Yamaha makes a sub that goes down to 20hz????? Any tolerance rating like -3db? Mine cost a fortune and is rated at 19hz -3db... Reminds me of DefTech specs...

I am often guilty of trying to spend other people's money, sorry. But, you really get what you pay for, and particularly with subwoofers I find. So much that it *might* be possible that it becomes the opposite of diminishing returns. That double the $ might actually get you even more than double. I would take a $500 SVS over three units of plenty of other models. Remember, you're not just buying a quality speaker design, you are also hopefully buying a quality amp as well. Best shopping.

Collapse -
by ..ben / September 24, 2007 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: LoL

I have the the SVS PB12-NSD, which rated down to 18 Hz -3dB, and I was absolutely blown away by its performance. In fact, when I measured the in-room response, I didn't have a dip from 56 to 14 Hz. Yes, 14 Hz. Room-induced? Yeah, probably. But I mean, still... And I'm certainly not complaining!

But I would absolutely put $400 into an SVS and put it up against any brand. It's essentially the the same amp as mine (300 vs 325 watts = insignificant difference, gets you ~ .37 dB less loud), and it goes nearly as low. It compromises by leaving out speaker-level I/O and an adjustable crossover, which is not an issue if you buy either the RX-V661 or the TX-SR605 as they both have adjustable sub crossover settings built-in. A major bargain at $430, and an absolute steal at $380 for a b-stock.

Will the PB10 hold up in a 3000 cu ft room? If you're looking for theater-level volumes, no. If you run your movies in the -20 to -10 range, I would guess yes. The best way to figure it out is to ask SVS. Happy Just send them an e-mail. They will give you conservative answers because they don't ever want you to feel cheated, like if normally you listen at moderate levels, but one day you have a party and there's a ton of people and so you crank it up and you start stressing the sub... they never want that to happen. So if you tell them 3000 cu ft, likely they will recommend the PB12, just to cover their butts if you EVER want to listen exceedingly loud, but I would bet the PB10 would hold up just fine.

Definitely contact them, though. Incredibly helpful, especially before I bought the sub!

Best,
Ben

Collapse -
Here's my final choises...
by JonM81 / September 24, 2007 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

After actually going to best buy and looking around, I decided on everything!!!

Comparing the Yamaha V661 to the V461, I doubt I will have a need for 7.1 Channels so I am going with the 461 5.1 channel.

The sub, I heard a Klipsch Sub 10 in thier display room and it was nice! I think I am gonna go with the BIC H100 12" however. All together, I should be sittin at around 500.00 total.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Collapse -
Jon
by jostenmeat / September 24, 2007 11:02 AM PDT

how much did you find the BIC for? Its known as a solid value at its normal price point. Not as musically finessed as a comparably priced HSU, but good value for HT particularly.

HOWEVER, I would look harder at ben's listing of that b-stock. Great Deal. It should be a significant upgrade for not much more, depending what you did pay (ive seen such varying prices on the BIC).

Anyways, whatever you do, congrats, and happy listening (er, rumbling).

psst. get the b-stock Wink

Collapse -
I WAS ALL SET TO SUGGEST A "SUNFIRE" SUB UNTIL I READ.......
by Riverledge / September 21, 2007 4:05 PM PDT

THE NEW PRICES. MAKES A 12" KLIPSCH look inexpensive; by a lot!!!
As you can gather, there are acceptable subs from $300.00 to $6,000.00. Best wishes; but personally most $600-$900 subs are more than adequate for a room your size. I'd prefer a KLIPSCH RW-12d, however, both POLK and JBL manufacture excellent SUBs in this price range.

Good listening.
Only YOUR ears know for sure.

Riverledge.

Collapse -
2 zone?
by FMCook / September 21, 2007 9:54 PM PDT

you mention patio speakers. I recently upgraded my receiver to an Onkyo 605 because of my patio. my old 5.1 setup was okay inside but it played inside or outside but not both. I think the Onkyo is the least expensive good receiver that will not only play both at the same time but will actually play something different inside and outside. you can watch your football game inside and still play music on the patio. this was a key feature for me. it might not be something you care about. the Onkyo is 7.1 with the outside turned off and drops to 5.1 when you use the second zone. you could just run it 5.1 all the time inside if that is what you want. there aren't really a lot of things out there that have 7.1 tracks anyway if you are talking TV's and movies. perhaps games are different but I don't play them so I don't know.

speaking of games, I think that's a key sub-woofer question that doesn't get asked here enough. I wonder if some of the sub-woofer recommendations have games and action movies in mind more than music and regular TV? what will you be listening to?

for what it's worth, I have replaced a lot of my old Bose speakers with Klipsch and I'm very happy I did. I moved the Bose stuff and my old receiver to the basement rec room. I haven't replaced my sub yet though so I'm interested to read what others are recommending. I've got a JBL 10 now and it really sounds good on music which is my prime concern. the extra $400 it would take to upgrade to a Klipsch and move the JBL to the basement is burning a hole in my pocket though.

Collapse -
Zone 2 is a common feature for receivers now.
by NM_Bill / September 22, 2007 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: 2 zone?

If you are happy with your JBL 10, don't think an upgrade is necessary by any means.

A couple of our frequent posters have really gotten into sub woofers. They have hears quite a few & learned a lot. I think it's safe nowadays to consider sub woofers as a specialty that are best done by companies that specialize in them.

Those in the know consider most run of the mill subs as not really doing a good job compared to those that do. I have a Monitor Audio that had a list price of $499 & have no idea how others consider it as it never has showed up on lists like the sub ranking list on AVS forums.

If you do get the buying fever & can afford it, a new sub, possibly like the highly regarded HSUs or SVSs that start at $300-$500 are in the select list of really fines ones.

I'm sure you will appreciate the new Onkyo 605. It is a helluva feature packed value. I just happen to be high on the slightly more expensive Denons that I have.

The purpose of these toys is to enjoy.

Collapse -
Update!
by JonM81 / September 23, 2007 6:44 AM PDT

No better way than to test a 10" out for free... My bud has a Yamaha 10" sittin in his garage collecting dust so I am gonna borrow it and see if I like it. I know Yamaha subs are barely even recognized, but it's a good test to see if a 10" will do compared to a 12". I need to get my reciever soon though!

Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
SVS.
by grc24 / September 24, 2007 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Update!

Stop flim flamming with dusty subs and just get an SVS. I also have the PB-12 and this thing is a beast. There is one scene in Superman Returns that made my basement walls creak and there was so much pressure that hit me square in the chest. I really wasn't expecting it and I actually had to stop the DVD because I thought a transformer blew down the block. I then reversed the DVD back to that scene and WHOOOAAA! I figured I had better not do that again or may have to dig myself out from the rubble. SVS makes a great product and I really don't think that you can go wrong with them. I think they have a 30 day return policy too. So if you don't like the sub you could return it. What the hell? Give em a shot.

grc

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.