PC Hardware forum

Question

What RAM chips can I use?

by edweather / November 19, 2012 12:40 PM PST

I'm breathing some life into an old computer we have. It's a no name brand put together by a local computer store no longer in business. I took off the cover and saw 1 Samsumg 128mb chip w/ 2 empty slots next to it. The number on the chip is M368L1713CT1-CBO. Is it possible to increase the memory to something like 4gb? What are my options? Thanks. Ed.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What RAM chips can I use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What RAM chips can I use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
A little more info.....
by edweather / November 19, 2012 1:01 PM PST

The chip # is M368L1713CTL-CBO. Here's the description

Description = M368L1713CTL 16Mx64 DDR Sdram 184pin Dimm Based on 16Mx8 ;; Density(MB) = 128 ;; Organization = 16Mx64 ;; Bank/ Interface = 4B/SSTL2 ;; Refresh = 4K/64ms ;; Speed = A0,A2,B0 ;; #of Pin = 184 ;; Power = C,l ;; Component Composition = (16Mx8)x8 ;; Production Status = Eol ;; Comments = -

Hopefully this helps. Thanks. Ed.

Collapse -
Identify motherboard
by edweather / November 19, 2012 2:17 PM PST

So now I realize that I have to identify the motherboard to know how much ram it will accept.

To be continued.....

Collapse -
VT8366-8233 motherboard
by edweather / November 20, 2012 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: Identify motherboard

So I found out what the motherboard is and located the manual online. There are 3 memory slots which can take up to 1GB per slot.

Collapse -
Ram
by bob b / November 20, 2012 5:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Yes...you need the MFG, the series and model #.....
by VAPCMD / November 20, 2012 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: Identify motherboard

revision # if indicated. What you provided sounds like the chipset name vice the MB brand series and mfg.

If the PC runs ...there are system utilities that can give you most if not all the info.

If the system runs and you can get to the internet, then the Crucial.com with the system test may work too.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks everyone
by edweather / November 21, 2012 2:03 PM PST

I ran a program that identified the motherboard, so now I'm confident about what ram I need to get. Unfortunately from everything I've read, Win98 doesn't run very well with more than 512mb, but 768 can be used with a MS workaround. Can I mix a 512 stick with a 256 stick, or do I need three 256's to make the 768?? Thanks. Ed

Collapse -
Did you try the Crucial site and let it tell you what the
by VAPCMD / November 22, 2012 12:06 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks everyone

options might be ?

Here's a forum on CNET that addresses questions on Win95/98. Might be worthwhile reading before buying more RAM.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
I checked the crucial site....
by edweather / November 22, 2012 12:21 AM PST

Thanks VAPCMD, I appreciate the crucial suggestion. I went to the site and they didn't list my motherboard. I ran this utility

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Evonsoft_System_Info_d4871.html

and it told me what my motherboard is. I also looked at the motherboard and saw what chipset was installed. I went to the VIA site and located the manual for the board and it confirmed what I was looking at. Mainly the 3 ram slots. I'm only increasing the ram to 768, which is what Win98 is comfortable with, even though the motherboard will take up to 3GB.

When I get the computer online, I will go to the crucial site and run the test anyway to see what it says. Thanks. Ed.

Collapse -
(NT) What MB is it ?
by VAPCMD / November 23, 2012 6:25 AM PST
Collapse -
Do you REALLY want to run Windows 98?
by wpgwpg / November 22, 2012 3:45 AM PST

If you get on the Internet with Windows 98, you're going to be highly exposed to viruses and other malware because it's been unsupported for years and thus is lacking a ton of needed updates to patch vulnerabilities. You're also going to find it very difficult to find software that runs on it. If you have some old games you want to play on this dinosaur, that would be OK, but I sure wouldn't want to try going online with something that outdated. Save your money and get a new computer or tablet.

Good luck.

Collapse -
good points
by edweather / November 22, 2012 9:23 AM PST

wpgwpg, Thanks. I hear what you are saying. Clamwin supports Win98, but I realize it's only for scanning, not real-time. This is my wife's old computer from when her first 2 kids were young and yes, she has alot of games on it that won't run on anything later than Win98. We are resurrecting this computer for our 5 year old as a first computer. So we might go online a little, but it's mostly for the games she wants to use. No skin off my back. Only spent $4 for an ethernet card, $2.36 for a cable, and $4.95 for a memory upgrade. It's been fun messin' with it. Like you say, if I want to spend any real $ on it I might as well get a new computer.

Collapse -
Yes....depending on the computer use....a new one
by VAPCMD / November 23, 2012 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: good points

with an updated OS, more RAM, more disk space, etc. is often a good way to go.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.