Cameras forum

General discussion

What 'R the best rechargeable batteries for Digital Cameras

by superrjean / December 11, 2008 7:58 AM PST

Which are the best (longest lasting) rechargeable batteries for digital cameras. I've tried several brands (even Duracell which has the highest mAh), however, my Canon Powershot still drains them rapidly.

I'm really sick & tired of walking around with 4/6 pairs of batteries(rechargeables at that) for every occasion, and still losing precious moments. So, I've been doing some research, have narrowed it down to three, and and need to know which are the best between these 3 brands?

1. Sanyo Eneloop?

2. Energiger e2 Lithium Ion's?, Or

3. Kodak rechargeables?

I could really use some sound advice!! Please speak from expertise or experience.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What 'R the best rechargeable batteries for Digital Cameras
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What 'R the best rechargeable batteries for Digital Cameras
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by rgw825 / December 11, 2008 11:05 AM PST

According to other sites and reviews the majority say that Sanyo Eneloop is the best. They also say that a battery is only as good as it's charger. And according to the majority most people recommend either the LaCrosse BC-900 Charger or the Maha Powerex MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger. And the only reason i know this is because i'm also in the market for batteries and a charger and i have been doing extensive research the last 2 days lol.

Collapse -
In my opinion,
by jump1127 / December 12, 2008 4:37 PM PST

Sanyo Enerloop is the best among many choices. Good luck.

Collapse -
good charger
by ailers / December 17, 2008 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: In my opinion,

well ive been looking around and was wondering where i can get a good charger and what charger in canada as both of these seem to be very hard to find outside of the usa

Collapse -
Stay away from Energizer!
by armedwithjello / December 19, 2008 9:18 AM PST

I bought a set of Energizer e2 batteries, and I had to return them as they wouldn't hold a charge at all after only about 6 weeks. My camera needed 4 AA batteries. The night before my sister's university graduation I fully charged 8 batteries, didn't even load them into my camera until I got to the hall, and all batteries were dead.

Previously I had been using Panasonic NiMH batteries, and I was only replacing them because they were old low-power ones. I bought a new set of Panasonic R2, and I've had no trouble with them at all. In fact, they last longer than I ever would have expected them to, and seem to hold a charge quite well even in storage.

Collapse -
by harryrutten / December 19, 2008 9:24 AM PST

1 - Use the battery(s) recommended by the manufacturer.
2 - Your camera should not drain the batteries rapidly. Sounds like a camera problem.

Collapse -
Re: Batteries
by armedwithjello / December 19, 2008 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: Batteries

If it were a camera problem, the new Panasonic batteries would also have drained quickly.

Also, the Energizer batteries were freshly charged, then placed in my camera and the camera wouldn't even turn on as there was not enough power. This was definitely a problem with the batteries, or possibly the charger. I tell others about my experience whenever the topic comes up, and I met one other person that had a similar experience, also with Energizer E2.

Collapse -
Re: Energizer E2 batteries
by Tufenuf / December 19, 2008 12:41 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Batteries

armedwithjello, I don't believe that Energizer E2 batteries are meant to be recharged. They're lithium batteries and that's probably why you had the problem.

Collapse -
by armedwithjello / December 21, 2008 11:39 AM PST
Collapse -
What Canon Powershot?
by zevfan / December 19, 2008 1:31 PM PST

Wish you have mentioned what Canon Powershot you own that has the battery drain problem. I own the Canon Powershot A540, and it has always drained batteries real fast. Matter of a fact, there is a recall on some A540s because there is a short in the battery compartment. Mine is not part of that recall, but it is pretty much worthless to me. So you might just have a camera problem instead of bad batteries..

Collapse -
by armedwithjello / December 21, 2008 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: What Canon Powershot?

Mine was a model A620. When I used the Energizers, I'd put in batteries fresh out of the charger and they wouldn't work at all, or they'd work for a VERY short time 10 minutes or less taking stills with the LCD turned off).

I did not have these problems at all when I switched to Panasonic batteries, so it was the batteries, not the camera. However, I do agree that this camera does use a significant amount of battery power and requires the highest power batteries you can get. I finally got tired of the clumsiness and the power sucking and bought a Lumix, with which I am very happy.

Collapse -
I find sony rechargeable batteries to be the best.
by maryjo617 / December 19, 2008 1:31 PM PST

I use sony batteries for my digital camera and have taken videos and pictures with them and they last a lot longer than any other rechargeable batteries I have tried. They came with my sony camera and I wanted to buy extras and ended up ordering them online as I couldn't find any in the local stores. give them a try. you won't be disappointed!

Collapse -
What 'R the best rechargeable batteries for Digital Cameras
by giovanni06 / December 19, 2008 3:38 PM PST

I went to Italy with a Cannon A540 which uses two AA's. Over the
two weeks and over 600 pictures I used only four batteries charged
twice each. I found that the higher the mAh, (2700) are the ones that I used, they last much longer than the 1600 mAh that were previously purchased. Also only use NiMH. I have been taking pictures for over
30 years.

Collapse -
best rechargeable AA Batteries
by g-a-paull / December 20, 2008 6:28 AM PST

Sanyo Eneloop is one of the best in New Zealand Consumer Test

Collapse -
by mwooge / December 20, 2008 1:18 PM PST

If you use your big LCD screen a lot, that might be why your batteries drain too fast. Turn it off and use the eye piece instead.

I use rechargables and carry a set of alkalines as reserve.

Be sure the rechargables are recharged the day before the shoot, they run down fast just sitting there.

Collapse -
Please check the facts of the case.
by armedwithjello / December 21, 2008 11:56 AM PST
In reply to: Batteries

When I used the Energizers, I'd put in batteries fresh out of the charger and they wouldn't work at all, or they'd work for a VERY short time 10 minutes or less taking stills with the LCD turned off).

I almost always had the LCD turned off, as I much prefer to use the viewfinder. I tend not to go back and view photos either. However, the big signal of the batteries being bad was what In mentioned in my original post.

I charged 8 batteries fully.

I did not put them in the camera. I placed them in a case in my bag.

Twelve hours after charging the batteries, I placed them in the camera and when I turned it on, it wouldn't work.

I placed the second set of freshly-charged batteries in the camera, and it still wouldn't work. It wouldn't even turn on.

I had to run all over the neighbourhood seeking high-powered batteries as regular AA batteries are too weak to power the Canon A620.

When I managed to buy some disposable lithium batteries, the camera worked just fine, and they worked for a long time.

When I purchased a set of Panasonic R2 NiMH batteries, they held a charge very well and the camera would run on those for several hours of continuous use, including recording video.

There was nothing wrong with the workings of the camera or my handling of the batteries. The problem was the Energizer product.

Collapse -
Varta 2500 / 2100 Ready 2 Use
by RobertB / December 21, 2008 7:45 AM PST

The above batteries with the super fast 4 battery charger are the best we have found after the original purchased POWERhaus 2300. Since the Powerhaus charger failed we have purchased other brand recharge-ables and chargers which have given little satisfaction.

Energiser 2500 nmh fail to hold a charge not long after purchase even though they were much more expensive than the lower priced brands purchased which had earlier disappointed. Thought it was a case of buying cheap which was the problem. Energiser System proved this theory wrong. Advised by Energiser to take batteries out between use to avoid flattening batteries which made no difference to batteries discharging and real pain when using cameras.

6 months with Varta system has been very satisfying with 15 -20 minute recharge and much less when topping up be a planned use of our cameras. We has stopped taking the batteries out of the cameras between uses which has made using the cameras more user friendly. At this stage the cameras have worked each time we have wanted to use them.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.