The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What operating system are you running on your main computer?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 7, 2012 9:22 AM PST

-- Windows 95/98/Me/2000
-- Windows XP
-- Windows Vista
-- Windows 7
-- Windows 8
-- Mac OS
-- Linux
-- Google Chrome OS
-- Other (What is it?)
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What operating system are you running on your main computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What operating system are you running on your main computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
running
by itsdigger / December 7, 2012 9:29 AM PST

32 bit Vista / 7 upgrade on desktop and 64 bit Vista / 7 upgrade on the laptop

Collapse -
3 different OSes on 5 PCs
by wpgwpg / December 7, 2012 9:31 AM PST

I use my laptop the most. It has Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
My main desktop has Vista 32 bit.
My wife's PC has Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with XP mode.
My test PC has XP, Windows 7 32 and 64 bit partitions, and Windows 8
My older PC has XP and Windows 7 Home Premium

Collapse -
OS'S
by pgc3 / December 7, 2012 9:58 AM PST

Win 7 64 and Linux dual boot on 3 systems(one L/T). Win Vista (clean load) on one L/T, Win XP Pro one system, in process of building Win 8 system which will incorporate Linux on a secondary drive.

Collapse -
OS running
by pauly1651 / December 7, 2012 11:24 AM PST

I run Windows XP pro 32 Bit and Windows 7 64 Bit Pro on my main PC.
My wife and 2 sons run Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, and my laptop has Windows 7 64 Bit on it.
I tried out the free version of Windows 8, on a test PC when it came out, and decided against it.
Windows XP and 7 are my favorite, next would be Vista,

Collapse -
by exsencon / December 7, 2012 10:37 PM PST

I am not surprised WinXP is running higher than Vista in your poll. Vista was a disaster. Anyway, I am a Linux man for over 4 years now with my main system running 10 Linuxes (Ubuntu,Slackware,LinuxMint,Centos etc) all systems running well. I still kept my old WinXP prof on a 2nd Hdd and when I feel like I transfer my data to one of the linuxes I am running. I even installed Solaris and PCBSD on another disk just to see if it would run-it does! Happy Linux man!

Collapse -
MY OS'
by reli37 / December 8, 2012 1:47 AM PST

My desktop (Gateway) has Win 7 64 bit
My laptop (Lenovo) has Windows Vista
My tablet (Acer Iconia) and Cell (Samsung SII) have Android 4.0.

My desktop is my main computer.

I would like to update my laptop but there is one program on it that I have not been able to match - Broderbund Print Master Version 16. The program allows me to prepare a monthly calendar with a lead photo (from my photos) and to add daily notes in each date along with a stock picture if desired and then print it out.

I have been looking for a program that will perform this function in Win7 for nearly 2 years now without success (including Calendar Creator and later versions of PrintMaster). If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Collapse -
by ailsa1234 / December 9, 2012 3:07 PM PST
In reply to: MY OS'

Windows 7 - home pc
Windows XP - office computer

Collapse -
Operating System
by laptop_anbai / December 9, 2012 4:10 PM PST

Last week we asked you what you think of the new addition to the cloud storage world - Google Drive. The results overall look favorable for Google, with the majority of readers either already using it and loving it, or interested in trying it. Let's see how the votes were divided.
Out of a total of 447 voters, 37% think Google Drive is awesome and are already using it, 19.5% want to try it, 15% think it looks interesting but are happy with what they have, 8.5% have tried it, think it's good but will probably let it go for one reason or another, 15% have tried it and were not very impressed, and 4% don't like it and don't care much for trying it.
Full results and this week's poll after the jump.

My sign

http://www.laptopanbai.vn/laptop-cu-gia-re/

Collapse -
What I'm running is
by hasandatca123 / December 10, 2012 2:34 PM PST

Windows 7..
I bought this laptop when windows 7 was first out.. And I'm still using the same laptop and same windows 7.. Pretty handy though.

Collapse -
by anduq / December 25, 2012 5:39 AM PST

Dual boot - Windows 7 & PCBSD

Collapse -
OS
by pgc3 / December 25, 2012 5:52 AM PST

Win7-64 2 systems, Win Vista 1 system, Win XP pro 1 system

Collapse -
That depends on what you call main computer
by wpgwpg / December 25, 2012 5:53 AM PST

My main desktop is running Vista, my laptop where I spend most of my computer time is running Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, my wife's computer is running Windows 7 64 bit Professional, and on my test computer I have XP, 3 flavors of Windows 7, and Windows 8 64 bit pro (official release).

Collapse -
by Carlton102 / April 30, 2013 10:54 PM PDT

I like windows 7 and It is really good operating systems. It is better than previous all operating systems of Microsoft. I like the most feature of windows 7 is touchscreen. It is amazing feature. It is saving our time.It is faster than windows XP and windows Vista. It is also supporting the ext2/ext3.

Collapse -
Linux

I was running OSX and Win 7 for the longest time until I got a new badwolf computer, now I run ubuntu and it's pretty awesome. There was about a month learning curve though which was kind of a *****. But it feels good to not be taking a pounding in the *** from apple or microsoft lol.

Collapse -
Re : What operating system are you running on your main comp

It all depends on the computer im using. I use both windows and Mac OS, due to the fact that i have Apple and Microsoft based products.

Collapse -
i like mac os
Collapse -
by tanya_jain / April 6, 2014 3:12 PM PDT

I am running a Windows 7 OS . I initially had Windows 7 starter which came pre-installed with my Sony Vaio .I had to switch to an upgrade since it could run only 3 applications at once and was more suited to netbooks and not conventional laptops.

Collapse -
2 main system
by Eskeyp / August 19, 2014 4:11 AM PDT

Windows XP pro 32 Bit on 2 main computer's

Collapse -
Windows XP
by Eskeyp / November 4, 2014 3:28 AM PST

For many years I use Windows XP

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.