Office & Productivity Software forum

Resolved Question

What Office Software do I need

by Scoobyfan / March 4, 2013 1:26 PM PST

Hi Everyone!

I hope your week is off to a good start!

I really enjoy using Office 2003 for personal use and for sending out my church newsletters. However, now that upgrades/updates for this software will no longer be around after April 2014, I'm in a quandry over what program to choose. Or If I should wait until the very end to see what new programs are on the market at that time.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I use Outlook, Power Point, Publisher, Excel and Word, especially for the newsletters. However, from what I have been reading, Microsoft is going to make 2003 incompatable with anyone using Office 365, a situation I could run into if someone sends me an article from 365.

I do not need the extra programs of 365, like web conferencing, storage, etc. I do not like the idea that Office 2010 and 2013 are "one-computer" licensed programs and not the usual "one-user." From what I've read online and been told by Microsoft, if the computer containing 2013 requires the reinstallation of 2013 due to a computer/system restore or if the computer needs to be replaced with a new one, a new 2013 will need to be purchased:

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Anyway, are there any options out there for me? I'm not made of money and would get along fine with 2003 if I could! (I do love learning new software -- I just can't keep up financially with Microsoft's tactics!)

The programs I choose need to include Publisher -- and be compatable with whichever Office programs my church or friends use.

Any help will be appreciated.

Scoobyfan has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What Office Software do I need
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What Office Software do I need
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Scoobyfan

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 10:58 PM PST

We tried it and nothing happened. We installed Office 2003 and it worked without updates. If the product works, why the worry item you listed?

Collapse -
Why Change? You ask!
by Scoobyfan / March 6, 2013 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: Try this.

I'm of the school of thought that "If it ain't broke, why fix it." However, diespite making sure I have all the latest Office and Windows updates, I am experiencing some issues with Word that, in past versions, have been related to an outdated program/compatibility issue -- which was only resolved by upgrading.

If you have solutions to the following, I'm all for keeping my current version of Office:

1. When I send my Word 2003 document as an attachment to the church secretary, who has Word 2010, sometimes the pages aren't lined up the same. For instance, a table that lines up on a page in my document may show as being on one and half pages at her end. She then has to reformat that area. Yes, I did try saving it as a Word doc and Word 2010 doc!
2. Despite having all the options checked for Spell/Grammer Check, including searching for contractions and spacing, Word 2003 skips those two options and does Spell check only. Everything is check marked in the settings. This results in me having to reread the entire, sometims long, document and look for these myself, or run Spell/Grammar Check again. (I have also had to result to putting in a apostrophe in the search/find option to make sure to find and correct the contraction. I've been instructed that contractions are a no-no in "formal" documents.)

If I was typing in everything myself, the spacing and contractions would not be much of an issue, but oftentimes I have to insert other's documents/files into the main newsletter, and they have different spacing and wording habits.

It also bugs me when something doesn't work the way it's supposed to and I can't figure out why or how to fix it!

Collapse -
Re: change
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 6, 2013 6:38 PM PST
In reply to: Why Change? You ask!

For point 1: that most likely is a printer issue, not a Word issue. So it's quite well possible it would be the same with a new version of Office.
For point 2: are you sure a new version of Office would work to your satisfaction? Better try at the church secretary's PC first!

Collapse -
Thanks Kees!
by Scoobyfan / March 7, 2013 6:23 AM PST
In reply to: Re: change

You make a lot of sense. Thanks for the suggestions. By the way, no I'm not sure if a new Office would work to my satisfaction...I was just told that I needed one by my church.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2013 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: Why Change? You ask!

Item 1 is going to take a little explaining. Word reformats documents based on a lot of things (nod to Kees here) and the big one is the printer. Word gets printer metrics, font information and renders the page AGAIN to get a WYSIWYG for the machine and printer it's on.

If you want to avoid this, you don't use Word but a type setting app. In the past that would be something like Page Maker.

Item 1 is no mystery at all now.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.