Speakeasy forum

General discussion

What NOT to do with stolen iPad?

by James Denison / March 14, 2013 9:37 PM PDT
What an idiot. Eventually she'll be identified and caught I guess. Till then, I wonder if she even realizes it probably does timely updates of photos to his album? At least the "former" owner of the iPad is finding some amusement from his loss.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What NOT to do with stolen iPad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What NOT to do with stolen iPad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oh the comments
by James Denison / March 14, 2013 9:50 PM PDT

The best one was this;

"That photo will appear on these message boards tomorrow as somebody's user pic."

Collapse -
there is software for
by Roger NC / March 15, 2013 12:15 AM PDT

tablets, smart phones, and laptops that allow you to remotely deactivate them, as well as the call home with GPS location software remotely operated. Don't recall the names right now.

Collapse -
supposedly it's inbuilt into iPads, but....
by James Denison / March 15, 2013 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: there is software for

...he turned it off. Seems sometimes his children use it and when they uploaded pictures it would say where they had been and for their safety he turned that function off.

Collapse -
can't it be reactivated remotely?
by Roger NC / March 15, 2013 6:49 AM PDT

I thought some software I had seen for smart phones and pads had that capability, but I may be wrong.

Collapse -
(NT) Example Android title? "Plan B"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2013 6:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Andoid has where's my droid app
by Diana Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 11:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Plan B needs no app pre-installed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 11:54 AM PDT

Kinda scary.

Collapse -
Maybe, but
by James Denison / March 18, 2013 1:07 PM PDT

isn't it sort of installed by the manufacturer, just hidden until you and they both turn it on?

Collapse -
Scare your friends, entertain your boss.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2013 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe, but

Plan B is quite the tool.

As to what is installed by the maker, -> CIQ <- on Android is well known.

Both of these are kinda creepy.

Collapse -
by James Denison / March 19, 2013 11:59 AM PDT

but they already had the firmware of MAC for tracking purposes. Less efficient, but with proper access, one can already be tracked by their MAC which is a better pointer even than one's IP address used, since that can vary depending on location. Of course cheap USB wireless fobs can give one a certain anonymity so long as referer info is changed too as one moves around or connects through various wireless connects, or dialup out of area servers using VOIP and proxy servers.

I noticed an interesting situation on my home router, in which my daughter's iPod automatically tries to "call home" at 3am every morning. I know it's not her since she's asleep and I have limited hours set on the firewall for her device. Still, the attempt to connect is made. I wonder how many cellphones "call home" now, unless the battery is completely removed? Most older burn phones don't, but I suspect many if not all the newer ones do.

Collapse -
PS- hang onto your old SD memory cards
by James Denison / March 19, 2013 12:07 PM PDT

I suspect eventually all new memory cards will become the WiFi included type. When that happens, any device utilizing a memory chip will be trackable everywhere there's any sort of wireless connect or mobile phone tower. Doing a walk by for cloning info on them will become a new favorite spy tool I expect.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.