Cameras forum

General discussion

What memory card do i need for my Canon powershot G9?EXPERTS

by tootherevolution / January 2, 2008 6:19 AM PST

I just bought my first camera thanks to cnet. The reviews helped me pick out a camera, but what about a memory card for my new Canon? Forget the cost. I am more concerned with quality. Which card should I buy? I want the best. thanks Experts.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What memory card do i need for my Canon powershot G9?EXPERTS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What memory card do i need for my Canon powershot G9?EXPERTS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Memory Card
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 2, 2008 11:05 AM PST

You can determine if a card is faster than another.
I don't know how you determine if a card is better quality than another.
It either works or it doesn't.
All card manufacturers have to produce a product that meets the same standard.
SanDisk is the largest maker of all types of memory cards.

I stick with the major brands and have never had a problem.

Steve's Digicam reviews hundreds of digital cameras and usually selects a card that they determine will provide good performance with a certain camera.
That does not mean it is the only good choice.

Here is a "Conclusion Page" from the Canon G9 review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/canon_g9_pg7.html

They used the "ATP Pro Max (Super high-speed) 2GB SD card".

One tip: always format the card with the camera before using it to capture images. Failure to do this can bite you later.

Collapse -
Format
by rgw825 / January 3, 2008 9:37 AM PST
In reply to: Memory Card

Quote:
"One tip: always format the card with the camera before using it to capture images. Failure to do this can bite you later."

Is this a tip for any digital camera?

Collapse -
Format
by CompNut / January 3, 2008 12:43 PM PST
In reply to: Format

Yes... a computer or camera deletes the file (takes out only the 1st digit of a file) so it makes the camera (on the next read) think the space is available. If you delete 1 file (photo) with a camera or computer then leave a few in the chip, delete another 1 and so on. After doing that for a few times, you will notice a big slow down in response time
(the time it takes for the camera to do a read or write to the chip).
Example... P1 (as in photo 1) = 5M P2 = 2.5M P3 = 4.7M P4 = 6.2 P5 = 3.3M say you delete P2 and P3 and shoot P6 = 4.2M, P6 will use the space formally used by P2 plus part of P3, while P7 will use what is left of P3 and the rest of P7 will go after P5... do this a few times with a few photos and you'll have a chip with a photo broken down into say 10 pieces... You may loose that 2nd photo with "a once in life time baby smile" just because your camera (is still processing the 1st photo you took) does not respond.
Format erases the whole chip and makes the space available end to end.

Collapse -
Format
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 3, 2008 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: Format

It applies to all digital cameras.

The card is already formatted by the manufacturer, but it is not 100% compatible with all cameras.

When the camera formats the card, it writes a File Information Block of data that usually contains some special information that applies to only that camera.

If you do not format the card with the camera, you run the risk of the camera getting confused at a later time.
It usually show up weeks or months later, when your camera reports that it can not read the card.

It will probably tell you to format the card......but you will find that it will not let you format the card.

If you have a card reader on your computer, you may be able to read the photo files with the computer.

If not, you have to get some file recovery software and recover the photo files with it, using the card reader.

However, you will find that the camera will still not accept that card.
The way to fix the card is to use the card reader and delete every file and folder from the card.
Then .... you can format the card with the camera.

To prevent all of the trouble listed above.....just format a new card with the camera.

Collapse -
You'll need SD
by CompNut / January 2, 2008 3:05 PM PST

Depends on what compression you want to save the photo (super fine, fine, normal or raw), add the amount of recording pixels (large, medium, etc) and the kind of photos that you want to take (are you going to use the burst mode often or just take a photo here and maybe another 1 in a while?).
A super fine - large - jpeg should be about 6 to 8 Meg when compressed, but if you decide to shoot raw, then the files are going to be much larger.
If you shoot 1 photo here and maybe 1 later, then a regular 2G SD should be ok to buy(under $20). The chip reads or writes at 4Meg/second so the internal buffer will have time to empty out before the next shot even when shooting raw.
If you shoot in burst mode or want to make sure you can shoot say 5 - 7 shots in a row in jpeg or less in raw mode, (before the camera slows down and may not even allow you to take another 1 for a bit) then you need to get a faster SD chip
SanDisk calls the 10M/s Ultra II ($25 2G)and the 20M/s is called Extreme III ($40 2G),Lexar's Pro 133x is also 20M/s ($45)... 1x = 150K... so 133x = 19.95M/s
Look on Sunday's supplements for offers for the faster chips or
use the service here... I got an Extreme III for $30 but I waited 2 weeks for the offer to come up.

Another 2 points that are really important... NEVER delete a photo
after review on the LCD (wait till you see the photo on a larger screen aka computer)and format the chip using the camera not just delete (using the computer) after d/l.

Collapse -
Memory cards
by hjfok / January 4, 2008 12:44 PM PST

First of all, you should know that a fast memory card will not speed up your camera's shot to shot time. So using a fast memory 133x card on a slow camera will be a waste of money.
The speed of the camera is determined by the camera's specification and lighting condition (a lot of times the camera slows down in low light due to difficulty in autofocus and the camera keeps hunting for the subject). And if you need to use flash, the flash recovery time will slow down the shot to shot time. In these situations, having a fast or ultra fast memory card will not help.
To explain this further. When you camera takes bursts of photos, these photos are stored in the buffer, and then the memory card has to read/write these data to unload the buffer and transfer to the memory card. When the buffer is full, the camera will stop taking photos until the memory card unloads the buffer and frees up some room to shoot again. So the speed of the memory card has nothing to do with the shot to shot time of the camera. A faster memory card only empties the buffer faster to allow more photos to be taken. The memory card speed refers to the read/write speed to empty the buffer, transferring data from the buffer to the memory card. For a very fast high performance D-SLR that takes 5+ fps bursts, the fast memory card may help to keep the buffer from filling up and allow the camera to keep shooting. So you can get in more photos in one continuous shot.
To put you in perspective, the Canon G9 is a slow camera with top burst speed 2fps (slow compared to D-SLR that is). And how often do you keep shooting without stopping? Most people take only a few bursts of photos and stop. So a fast memory card will not be necessary in this situation. I prefer memory cards no more than 2GB because I don't want to put too many photos in one card. I usually have multiple 1 or 2 GB cards, so that if one card goes kaput, it won't be a total loss. I think the Sandisk Ultra II 1 or 2 GB cards will be adequate. But if you don't mind spending a little more, the Extreme III is more than what you need.
If you like WIFI, then there is a new type of memory card that works with WIFI and transmit photos wirelessly to your computer or upload directly to internet. Check this out:
http://www.eye.fi/

Collapse -
Memory Cards
by CompNut / January 4, 2008 1:55 PM PST
In reply to: Memory cards

I agree with hjfok's "a fast memory card will not speed up your camera's shot to shot time"... and "A faster memory card only empties the buffer faster to allow more photos to be taken". The idea is just THAT, to use a chip that can KEEP UP, so the buffer never gets so full that you can't shoot any more or the camera slows down so much that you'll miss a shot here and there.

I did have the opportunity to sit down with someone that has the same camera as I do, and with identical settings (shutter speed, aperture, etc.) both cameras on burst mode. After a few shots we could hear her camera becoming slower than mine until hers was crawling, mine kept going. Then we switched chips and repeated, now my camera was the 1 doing the crawling... only difference I used an Ultra II SD and she used a regular SD from the same maker.

As for WiFi SD cards... if the idea is to shoot a few shots and u/l to a computer or the Internet using the camera... I have bad news...
can't do it. The cover, where the chip and batteries go, have to be closed for the camera to operate otherwise the battery ends won't
make contact... the WiFi SD chip is almost an inch longer than SD.

Collapse -
Thanks for your input
by hjfok / January 4, 2008 11:07 PM PST
In reply to: Memory Cards

Agree with you. Of course how many bursts you can do before the camera comes to a crawl depends on the buffer size, which is variable with each camera. For most average consumer, very few do more than a few bursts. And the slow camera shot to shot time in low light that most people encounter is due to camera's performance limitation (slow AF or flash recovery) rather than the buffer getting overfilled. So for most people, getting a fast memory card will not really solve their problem.
But for those few who do long bursts of photos, ie. what to get as many photos in one continuous burst as possible before the camera stops or slows to a crawl, then getting a fast memory card will help.

The eye-fi wireless memory card dimension is the SD standard size 32mm x 24mm x 2.1mm, no longer or shorter than standard SD. Here is a link to its dimension:
http://www.eye.fi/a-wireless-memory-card/

There are other WIFI memory cards for SDIO compatible devices that may have larger dimension.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.