Phones forum

Resolved Question

What major carriers have a 250 min /mo plan?

by coldReactive-234616612897 / October 15, 2011 9:05 AM PDT

Not prepaid, I'd prefer Verizon to be honest, but the lowest they have is 450. Sprint no longer provides a 250 minute option for "Everything Data" and their "basic" plan does not allow for smartphones. Plus, it's cheaper to go with tracphone (even over straight talk) than to pay up 29.99 a month, as I pay 20 USD every other month on my tracphone. But my tracphone's antenna is horrible.

Maybe instead, I should ask, what tracphone has the best antenna, which I can buy in-store like Walgreens, etc.

coldReactive-234616612897 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What major carriers have a 250 min /mo plan?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What major carriers have a 250 min /mo plan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by coldReactive-234616612897

Collapse -
300 minutes?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2011 4:20 AM PDT

Virgin Mobile has some plans at 300 minutes but at 35 a month is over double what you have now.

The ANTENNA discussion has been done before. It's still about location and your proximity to a tower.

Collapse -
Unfortunately for that discussion...
by coldReactive-234616612897 / October 17, 2011 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: 300 minutes?

Wisconsin is one of the states with the most GSM towers, I don't know why I'd get horrible quality here, as Tracphone also piggybacks on GSM. (We also have a service called Airfire, which is GSM only, but it's still way more expensive than what I pay for tracphone.)

Collapse -
I'd like to see numbers on that claim
by Pepe7 / October 17, 2011 1:10 PM PDT

My experience tells me otherwise. If you look at coverage maps, even the generous ones, most of the SW part of the state is devoid of GSM coverage whatsoever. My trips to visit friends/relatives in that part of the state confirm this. In this regard, it's unlikely they have the most GSM cell sites.

Collapse -
Forgot to add one thing re: GSM in WI
by Pepe7 / October 17, 2011 1:32 PM PDT

Keep in mind Tracfone on GSM would likely run only on the native ATT network and cell sites, *not* on any partner GSM carrier's cell sites (=towers). That reduces potential coverage a great deal. OTOH, CDMA covers the state very well (esp. the western portion of the state), so a Tracfone that worked on that technology might be an improvement for some. YMMV. Most certainly if you need any sort of decent roaming coverage in the U.S., avoid the prepaid services whenever possible.

Collapse -
Have a Tracfone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2011 2:24 PM PDT

For the money, one of the cheaps. My buddy in Omaha couldn't be more pleased with them.

Collapse -
Tracfone maps
by Pepe7 / October 18, 2011 12:29 AM PDT

Although I still believe they are too generous, you can easily see the 'black hole' of GSM in SW WI.

Collapse -
What CDMA Trac phones do you recommend?
by coldReactive-234616612897 / October 18, 2011 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Tracfone maps

Just wondering? Since this article ( ) says I have to either use the website, or buy outside of my area, as we have BOTH GSM AND CDMA.

Also, the website will not accept the zipcode 53703, so I cannot buy phones from the website.

Collapse -
Try some other zip codes outside of Madison/Dane County
by Pepe7 / October 18, 2011 2:30 PM PDT

FWIW, I was formerly 53716, 53704 & 53562 (LOL).
Just skip the whole 'match my phone to my zip code' nonsense and buy a cheap tracfone handset from craigslist or ebay, then call them up for service. Sorry I can't comment on handset performance since I've only had two or three encounters with their products, specifically helping friends/family deal with customer service issues. You might consult the folks in the prepaid section @ howardforums for specifics on your ordering/hanset reviews.
Why not switch to a prepaid service with less hassles and more handset selections(?)

Collapse -
I guess

I'll have to wait then, and see how the "Big V" fares in the short future. Meanwhile, I'll have to continue using this phone.

Collapse -
About KMart...

Kmart was bought by sears, and sears has two big stores on the east and west side of Madison. Kmart was thus, removed, from all of Madison Wisconsin.

Collapse -
Understood, but...
by Pepe7 / October 19, 2011 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: About KMart...

...I sent you the link so you can purchase it online. $14.99 + $5.50 standard shipping to the Madison zip codes I entered online. Why waste a trip to the store? Wink
Dumb question regarding the Mad-City. Is Woodman's still popular like it used to be? How about Pascual's?

Collapse -
Also, more zipcodes in madison that won't work
by coldReactive-234616612897 / October 18, 2011 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Tracfone maps
Collapse -
How about page plus?
by Pepe7 / October 15, 2011 2:30 PM PDT

You might consider it a better alternative that would let you bring in at least some of the Verizon branded smartphones, some of which you could pick up on ebay, etc. If you need CDMA coverage/native Verizon coverage, it's a good option.
I'm assuming you don't have T-Mobile where you reside? If so, Simple Mobile might work too.
My experience helping a friend sort out his Tracfone nighmare generally leads me to tell people to avoid their nonsense and pony up to the bar for a real carrier. But given the economy of late, I can see why it's a valid option perhaps. That said, you won't be getting stellar devices from Walgreens/similar environs. If you can find a Motorola flip phone you might get a leg up on some of their other 'wonderful' devices. It might very well be where you are using the phone, keep that in mind too. Sometimes GSM is better than CDMA for Tracfone depending on where you live/use the service. YMMV.

Collapse -
(Insert Subject Line Here)
by coldReactive-234616612897 / October 15, 2011 6:52 PM PDT
In reply to: How about page plus?

We have T-Mobile here in Madison, Wisconsin, but there is no 4G coverage anywhere near Wisconsin, save for Chicago. Yes, even Milwaukee suffers from no 4G.

I also need coverage in Upper Michigan, as I sometimes stay there. Most big companies actually don't have good coverage up there, T-Mobile has no coverage whatsoever up there, so I can't choose that anyway.

Collapse -
Stomping grounds
by Pepe7 / October 17, 2011 12:17 AM PDT

Coincidentally, the Mad-city is my hometown ;).

Collapse -
Staying in the UP... not living there
by coldReactive-234616612897 / October 17, 2011 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Stomping grounds

I only stay in the UP every now and then, it's around Iron Mountain, maybe a little south, closer to the border of Wisconsin.

Collapse -
by Pepe7 / October 17, 2011 1:08 PM PDT

In any case it will be between the big 'V' and the death star Wink

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.