iPod (which generation?)
Shuffle (which generation?)
Nano (which generation?)
Mini (which generation?)
I don't have an iPod
I have more than one iPod

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What kind of Apple iPod do you own?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What kind of Apple iPod do you own?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i-Pod
by ebankowski / October 3, 2006 9:09 AM PDT

I own the 4th generation 60gb iPod, but will probably upgrade to the new 80gb 5th gen.

Collapse -
Not for Me
by willum08 / October 3, 2006 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: i-Pod

I wouldn't have one as a present! Creative ZEN Rules...

Collapse -
Yes!!! Creative is best!!
by listenerjoe / October 3, 2006 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Not for Me

I have both Creative Zen Xtra 30g -and- Creative Vision 30g. I use'em both and they're Grrrrr-ate!!!

Collapse -
zen is best
by FrankS / October 4, 2006 1:57 AM PDT

that is what is my ipod problems drove me to back to my creative zens (micro and nomad extra) what the hell is so great about these players the fm sucks the playing is apain in the *** i load one playlist (cd) and listen better trying to get to the other songs i had on there that is why i LOVED my ipods however thats another gripe ive already posted

Collapse -
Re: Creative ZEN
by wagesofweirdness / October 3, 2006 11:34 AM PDT

I'd like to hear more about that...

What about the ZEN is better than iPod?

I have an iPod, but I'm not above trying something else, especially if it's better.

The one thing I do like about iPod/iTunes is that it gives me the ability to listen to my music in "lossless" format. I don't have to ruin the tunes by converting them to mp3 or m4a files. This is important to me, especially or my homeade live concert recordings.
Thanks!
mt

Collapse -
Not for me either!
by rgruenhaus / October 3, 2006 1:21 PM PDT

Creative Zen Vision M is the best. I copy my movies to it and have enough battery time to watch two movies, one on each leg of a flight and I can listen to the radio and record voice messages and many more things on the 30 GB memory!

I noticed they didn't even give not owning one as an answer.

Rob

Collapse -
Another Zen fan
by kolber / October 3, 2006 10:58 PM PDT

I've got a Creative Zen too. Like that it syncs with Windows Media Player. I'm not a fan of iTunes.

Collapse -
Zen, what more could you possibly ask for
by Oluifemi159 / October 6, 2006 5:20 AM PDT

I use the Zen Vision M, I was skeptical at first cause everyone use to say I-pods are the best. But while I was at Best Buy where I bought mine. The guy in charge of mp3 players showed me both the Zen Vision M and the I-pod equivalant. Both where the same price, but I can download music from anywhere with the zen. The biggest reason I got the Zen instead of the I-pod was because he showed me the quality of both mp3 player's videoes, the zen was of superior video quality

Collapse -
iPod's
by mementh / October 3, 2006 10:28 AM PDT

I own a iPod shuffle (1st Gen.) and am saving up for an iPod Nano (2nd Gen.)
I ask this question though: What would want to have more: an iPod or a Microsoft Zune (i think that is the right spelling)?
I would have an iPod, why? I don't know, i just like them better...

Collapse -
''Zune'' sucks. Quit now and avoid the beatdown.
by gwats1957 / October 3, 2006 7:18 PM PDT
In reply to: iPod's

Microsoft is going to sell these iPod imitators at a loss for a year or two.
You have FM, which is limited in what the station plays which is the the VERY REASON we invested in mp3 players in the FIRST place!
They have a sharing arrangement among the connected Zune players which is another form of DRM. The Zune will be in direct competition with other players using Microsoft's DRM which will cause the weaker player makers in the market to fold or merge.
In the meantime, Apple will not stand still and will continue with updates and improvements to the iPod. I hope frustration and futility are two things
Microsoft enjoys because their plate is going to be full of them!
Microsoft is good at selling software licenses on crappy software with HUGE security holes and collecting huge fees to fix their garbage software with patch after patch after patch.
Perhaps they shouldn't quit their day job. At least they're getting PAID!

Collapse -
iPod all the way...
by coobster / October 3, 2006 1:48 PM PDT

I got my iPod (Nano) as a gift for Valentines day this year. I love it. Until then, I had an iRiver MP3 player, which I did like, however, an iPod is so much more versatile and compact. I don't see how I lived without one for so long!

Collapse -
i-Pod
by pezzercise / November 30, 2008 8:29 AM PST

why is the 80 gig the 5th generation, and I love your devotion to DRM music. Your the clasic Apple ********. Apple updates a small app and then calls it a new gen, you fall right into into it. Your a piece of work. Obviously not
a true techybut think you are, just like most apple ginuses. (network losers) just like the geek squad ,, just like people with no certs but think they know the world of pc's or even apples. Typical internet shrubs. " I know the internet or my iPod or phone so therefore I know computers..." Sorry you are so lost you pansy wansy whiners. You are EXACTLY the reason why viiri are launched and you this is why Apple is not the viiri free anymore. Crack an apple just as fast as an apple,(look it up) I'm a SuSe user myself.

Collapse -
No iPod here..
by wheelzup / October 3, 2006 9:27 AM PDT

I went with the Creative Labs Zen Vision M for my player of choice. It sounds great, can take a beating..dropped it by accident down a flight of stairs..it might be working better then ever now. If I'm just playing music...it will run all night on a single charge.

Collapse -
iAudio rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by wasnot / October 3, 2006 9:35 AM PDT

X5 baby!!!!!!!!!
Flac, Ogg, video, recorder, mic, FM, alarm WAY better sound quality.

Collapse -
X5
by wasnot / October 3, 2006 9:36 AM PDT

oh, AND "Plays-For-Sure" firmware for DRM'd WMA files from Napster, YME, etc...

Collapse -
Re: iAudio rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by wagesofweirdness / October 3, 2006 11:38 AM PDT

I'm confused...if it's mp3, ogg, m4a, or other files recorded at around 128kbps, how can the sound be noticably better on any device?

Collapse -
x5l all the way!!!
by tom tindall / October 5, 2006 10:02 AM PDT

I agree, the x5l has it all! Easiest to use and load up. Sounds better than ipod too! I don't leave home without it!

Collapse -
What kind of Ipod do you own
by betteguadalupe / October 3, 2006 9:57 AM PDT

I have a Ipod shuffle and never been able to make it work..so it sits on my dresser..

Collapse -
Good Improvements!
by Gerry77 / October 3, 2006 10:05 AM PDT

I own the original 5G 60gig video iPod. The improvements are great, but I am glad that they're not enough to upgrade my current one yet. Gradual improvements which don't make my current one obsolete. The increase to 80gigs is probably the most noteworthy enhancement.

Collapse -
iPod I Own
by enyikos / October 3, 2006 10:06 AM PDT

I own a 5g ipod (original 5g) white 30gb video.

Collapse -
You all need to get real lives....
by steve02493 / October 3, 2006 10:14 AM PDT

not only do you spend inordinate amounts of free time tuning out the humans around you - you spend what time you have left debating the best means to do it....how sad our society has come to this! Free yourselves of the earbuds - I beg you all!

Collapse -
tuning out "the world"?
by wagesofweirdness / October 3, 2006 11:28 AM PDT

I only use it to tune out people who judge others harshly....like you.

mt

Collapse -
tune out the world?
by rtsphoto / October 3, 2006 4:35 PM PDT

not me i have my ipod hooked to my computer speakers at my desk. I can't get radio in my building and my employer won't allow music on their pc.

Collapse -
I Agree
by kheim / October 3, 2006 1:07 PM PDT

Well said, but we are won't get many to agree. Think about what forum we are in. Techyville? I do enjoy my music when ever I can. I try not to use it if it makes people around me feel uncomfortable. ipods are very trendy right now but there is one thing for sure. It will change with the next trendy device, in short order. This is what keeps these companies ceo's living very comfortable. Trickle the toys out just fast enough to keep us buying. I don't own an ipod. I have a very cheap and older gerneric flash player with no DRM. It works for me but it may not be everyone.

Collapse -
WHAT?
by Ironpeddler / October 11, 2006 10:46 PM PDT

you are just another "what has this world come to" alarmist. So if I walk 15 blocks to my office in a city, I'm blocking out the world and being anti-social if I listen to music instead of traffic horns? If I travel as a Sales Rep and drive 5-6 hours a day and want to listen to music instead of "shock jock" commercial filled FM radio, I'm loosing touch with reality?...Geez, give me a break. While there is some over use of personal music devices, in general, they are great to take your music with you when traveling. I'm 50 yo and my teenagers have them too, but it's up to the parent to "teach" the proper time and place to use them. Maybe you "should get a life" and stop bashing people that enjoy themselves through technology!....you sound like just another Internet nay-sayer...move on, I know how to manage my life and I don't need your help. Have a nice day!

Collapse -
Audiobooks -- not "music"
by listenerjoe / October 12, 2006 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: WHAT?

I am that sales rep who's 5-6 hours traveling most daze. I listen to audio books -- not tape or CD, but on my Creative Nomad JB zenXtra 30GB. It's easy as "music" to download and much more "constructive".

Collapse -
Audiobooks - YES!
by bestsealer / October 13, 2006 2:30 AM PDT

I agree.. I probably use my MP3 player (Sony NW-HD1) more for audiobooks than music. I take it with me everywhere.

My collection of books is growing, and I keep them on an external HD, and just move them over to my MP3 player as I need them. I probably have about 470 books now (about 140 GB). My list is online and grows almost weekly:
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=adt69dnb44kd_bbhx29f45wqk8

I tried to start an audiobook MeetUp group in my area, but unfortunately, there did not seem to be any interest. Too bad.

Collapse -
Ha Ha Well your here arn't you
by seanzzo / October 15, 2006 11:23 AM PDT

Why don't you free us from you I beg you LOL

Collapse -
who should by the new iPod
by mike_tyrell / October 3, 2006 10:17 AM PDT

the new ipod is only to get a grip on the 54% who voted they dont have an ipod

when apple grabs the few then we will see a next gen ipod for all of us...If you ask me its a little early for the next gen ipod

what you gonna buy a next gen iPod or Wii ?

Collapse -
3G
by tyman71491 / October 3, 2006 10:22 AM PDT

I have the tight touch button 3rd generation iPod. This thing is probably the most durable out of all of the iPods. Never broken, never replaced, and the screen doesnt scratch.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.