The CNET Lounge

General discussion

What is your primary computer?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 12, 2007 9:29 AM PDT

What is your primary computer?

- Desktop (By choice or necessity?)
- Laptop (By choice or necessity?)
- Equal time on both (Which one do you prefer?)
- Other (What is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is your primary computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is your primary computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PC Desktop..fits my budget.
by castingRod47 / April 13, 2007 7:15 AM PDT

I did not start out thinking I would become a Digital Photographer..I just bought a Desktop right out of the blue..
It became apart of my Internet Surfing/I was useing an Internet Reciever made by COMPAq..
I had been making CDs on my JVC CD Recorder for my Portable CD Player..and useing a Cell Phone..made by NOKIA..
I dropped the Cingular account and bought a PC..
I called DELL(still have that Catalog)..
and a salesperson sold me a DELL Dimension 2350(P4)..
and within a couple of months I was researching DVD-movie making..
I added about $$400.00 as upgrades to the Dimension and it stayed alive for about 3-4 years(very heavy workload)..
And I re-built it into a P4 3.0 GHz..Intel D915GAG Mobo..500-watt PSU..1GB RAM..XP-Pro SP2..
So now in the realm of building a PC..my budget is revived..
Laptops are nice..I would consider owning a Laptop..
But it would be a luxury..
I actually spent $$179.00 on a 7-inch LCD Screen to use w/the OUTPUT of my Camcorder..
Since I like to water proof..this was the way to go..
But I did not know about the Panasonic TOUGHBOOK..but that's $$2000.00..
Desktops can handle the peripherals..
a Laptop might NOT.

Collapse -
I Own Both
by krazyken44 / April 13, 2007 9:39 AM PDT

I prefer my homebuilt desktop full tower powerhouse to my laptop. The reason is so simple. My desktop I can tear it down and add a new motherboard, two large hardrives, or whatever I want to add. I can do this at a reasonable price too.
Now, I like the laptop and it can be added to also. Add a few USB or firewire devices, like harddrives, printers, and scanners and it's got more to give it a boost in many ways, but it's not portable then. I should mention costs are more when add goodies I to a laptop, than my desktop goodies. I can't change my video card and some other hardware easily either. This makes the desktop better in many ways to me except one way, it's not portable.

Collapse -
Desktop all the way
by Alain Martel1 / April 13, 2007 9:52 AM PDT

I only use a desktop. The main reason is that I don't have any use for a laptop. My second reason is that, usualy, a laptop cost more, sometimes a LOT more, than a desktop for the same performance level.
Third reason: have you ever tried assembling your own laptop? My desktop is home built.

Collapse -
it depends
by bheiser / April 13, 2007 9:52 AM PDT

For me it is a laptop at work (because that's what was provided), and a desktop at home (because I built it, and a desktop platform has more options for expandability and/or swapping components).

Collapse -
Appreciate each for it's Advantages
by rkbush / April 13, 2007 10:17 AM PDT

I have a 2001 model Compaq Armada P-3 700MGHz laptop (got it used from an Enron "lost our lease" sale...) and a Dell Dimension E510 I bought a year ago. If I only had one to own--it would be a TOUGH decision. My laptop is amazing...handles anything you can throw at it, and though there is a noticeable increase in response time--not annoyingly so. I got a desktop mostly for its ability to add many peripherals and I like the big 19" screen over the 14.1" on the Compaq--and the brightness much better. I use relatively small HDs (40GB and 80MB in Dell). I much prefer to have large additional external drives...it seems to me it's better to have a nice fast drive unencumbered by tons of photos or office records while it spins around trying to find and run programs. My total investment is about $1400--with added memory. That's not a ton of money--unless you are seriously strapped for cash. I think having one of each is best. I wonder how many of the new buyers already have a desktop PC and are adding a laptop? Laptops do have some limitations--the tiny space for electronic additions like memory. My Compaq is limited to 576MB and notebook memory stick aren't cheap. I think the profile of those who spend a lot of time on a computer will buy some of everything. Human nature.

Collapse -
Laptop
by BWTI / April 13, 2007 10:49 AM PDT

Me laptop, it's necessary for my works, because I travel out a lot.

Collapse -
Primary... ahhhhh hmmm
by gleaf / April 13, 2007 11:06 AM PDT

Primary is like asking which screwdriver in the tool box is primary.
(the one most cross functional as a hammer)?

GPS maps and travel interface; laptop.
Size and space a requirement(air travel); lap top.

SUV and have space (I'm 60 and the kids are grown)
then a desk top/flat screen/keyboard and roll up keyboard
go in the car and come along. wife bringing more luggage..
then plan B lap top.

350 va inverter and portable..
Also keeps the laptop full charge on a long trip.

Primary is the one that fits what I'm doing and the conditions.
Backbone of life is the Desktops, I dont expect the lap top to
have that performance or capacity. It has its place(often).

Collapse -
I mainly use my laptop
by ranron / April 13, 2007 11:11 AM PDT

I've Lenovo T60p. It's got top of the line everything when I bought it a year ago and it still works amazingly. I do have a desktop, but I use it only for gaming, Photoshop/Premiere, and CAD.

Collapse -
At the moment Desktop
by x.killeddestiny.x / April 13, 2007 11:13 AM PDT

ya... my laptops in the processes of being repaired right now by me cuz it has no warentee for the next few weeks my Dell laptops gonan collect dust while I use my computer which is a sad excuse for a fire hazard.

Collapse -
Desktop Here
by john55440 / April 13, 2007 11:41 AM PDT

My perception is that desktop computers are more cost-effective, more reliable, more powerful and expandable, have more ports, and better keyboards, than laptop computers.

Since I do my computing in one spot, I don't need a laptop computer.

Collapse -
Answer to the Question about the necessity of Laptop
by kristk / April 13, 2007 12:16 PM PDT

For me Laptop is minimum requirement. and i cannot do without it, hence the help you extend to clean up the system now and then is highly appreciated.

Thanking you,

Your's truly
Dr.T.Krishna Kanth

Collapse -
Down from "My LAN is the computer" to one laptop.
by whozatmac / April 13, 2007 12:26 PM PDT

I have used numerous platforms, and had many laptops and desktops over the years. Only in the last two years have I really come to the place where I can use my laptop exclusively, but the performance gains in the mobile arena have truly made desktop systems irrelevant to the majority of users.

The move to laptops and the wifi world are truly liberating for me. I use my computer and the internet extensively for research, creating documents, and media production work. I feel like I can finally leave my office and home, after a decade of being essentially unable to work in a coffee shop, pub, restaurant, or park, because there was no access to the essential network resources, and the performance difference was monumental, with laptops featuring lousy screens, tiny storage devices, and limited (if any) internet connectivity.

My latest laptop (about 18 months old now) is plenty fast enough for all the work I do. If I needed more power, the ones on the market today would handle a video project without need for external support. The externalization of devices through the USB standard allows more or less unlimited expandability.

To make a long story short, I built an Uber desktop (Quad core, gigs and gigs of RAM, yadda, yadda) and could not really feel much difference in the work I was doing. Outside of a few specialized fields I don't think most of us need more power than a $600 laptop offers, or can even reap noticeable productivity gains. Trying to use two computers for one human is a productivity drain, what with the need to sync, carry, copy, etc. all the files in use, the risk of forgetting a file (and flying across the globe away from it). Learning to adapt to the laptop only lifestyle is well worth it for the gains offered simply in always having the same desktop, arranged the same way, with the same files and applications, just there in your briefcase. It's kinda retro, like when I worked from paper notebooks and legal pads Happy

The Quad Core is now a ridiculously overpowered backup server and print server for my laptop.

Collapse -
UMPC
by jwrupe / April 13, 2007 12:31 PM PDT

I own them all, but use my Q1P most, when its my choice. I moved my home business to it recently, and that includes data, files, everything. Life is good...

Collapse -
A computer for everything
by mrskelly / April 13, 2007 1:02 PM PDT

Naybe it's just me, but I have 3 laptops and a desktop -- the desktop has its uses, but by far I use the laptops, each for a different purpose. I have an older Gateway that I've kept Office 2003 on and use for instruction, an IBM X41 tablet for working on the fly and doing the website and an HP media center for working with photos and video. The desktop could do it all, but I hate to be tethered to a desk.

Collapse -
What is my primary computer
by Mirf 2 / April 13, 2007 1:34 PM PDT

Hi, my primary computers are both laptops, I run a black 13.3in Macbook and an older IBM T30 thinkpad with Windows xp pro. Both laptops are purely for pleasure, I favour the mac over windows and my choice
of laptops is for portability. I have never owned a desktop so I dont miss any advantages it may have over a laptop. Regards Keith

Collapse -
Laptop for Me!
by Scottishblacksmith61 / April 14, 2007 2:09 AM PDT

Believe it or not I'm a 45 year old first-time college student in my sophmore year. I bought a laptop for mobility and the fact I will not have to rely on someone elses when I get a teaching job after graduation. I have seen the uses of laptops by my professors, and can see the benifits of maximum mobility!!!! those who have all the extras like external hard drives ect... may enjoy both worlds

Collapse -
Laptop all the way
by kwp99 / April 13, 2007 2:02 PM PDT

I swear by laptops now. I like the portability and space savings. With my wireless router I can use it anywhere in the house and wifi hot-spots allow me to connect to the internet all over the world. However, there is a price for this convenience and that is higher cost. I find that I go through laptops every 2 to 4 years. Because desktops are cheaper and more powerful and probably more durable because they mostly just sit there and are not subject to the same wear and tear as a laptop, you don't need to repair or replace them as often. But even so I find the convenience and portability of a laptop to be worth the higher cost.

Collapse -
Laptop - Definitely!
by PhoenixFiresky / April 13, 2007 2:56 PM PDT

I truly don't understand why anyone, except possibly hardcore gamers, would prefer a desktop to a laptop anymore. My husband and I both have laptops and love them. Our desks (we're both returning adult university students) are set up so that we can leave the laptops hooked up to all the peripherals we love, but then when it's time to go to class we can easily unplug the cords and take just the laptops with us. When we return, plugging them in again takes less than a minute - and I have a LOT of peripherals to plug in! Our printer is a community item, and when one of us is ready to print we just carry the laptop over and plug in the USB. I have an extensive digital photo collection on my laptop, along with Vongo's downloaded movies and over a dozen casual games, and have only recently begun to run out of room. I plan to deal with this by storing my photos on an external drive, since I don't really need to be able to take them all with me everywhere, anyway. On the other hand, laptops have become so much smaller, cheaper and now have larger memories, that we're planning an upgrade this year which we expect will take us through graduation and at least halfway through graduate school. I can't imagine going back to being tied to a stationary desktop again. Taking our computers to class, and to the coffee shop and the library for homework, watching movies at Starbucks...all of these things make having a laptop more of a lifestyle accessory for us than anything except our cell phones.

Collapse -
P.S.
by PhoenixFiresky / April 13, 2007 3:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Laptop - Definitely!

I probably should've mentioned above that my husband and I got our laptops about a year and a half ago - they're both Compaq Presario V2000s. I got mine first and loved it so much he got one, too.

Also, my husband was just reading over my shoulder and remarked that he'd far rather give up his cell phone as a "lifestyle" device than give up his laptop.

I think he's right. So would I, now that he mentions it. There's no contest. I love my cellphone - but I'm married to my laptop.

Collapse -
i use both
by brucon41 / April 13, 2007 8:38 PM PDT

laptop on the road and desktop at home and vol.work. I am on the road for two weeks at a time. I have the usual gear at home, photo printers,scanner and such. a all-in-one travels with my laptop. The desktop is easyer for me to repair/upgrade. The laptop gets used at home when the power is out, western New York

Collapse -
Use them together
by lbeberdick / April 13, 2007 11:56 PM PDT

My laptop is my primary computer. However the desktop serves as a print server on the home network so i can other family users can print through the wireless network. Additionally if the desktop hard drive is shared, it is a good place to store pictures and other large space consuming files. Another benefit is when working from home, i have a KVM switch so that the desktop keyboard and mouse can be used for the laptop, and the monitor can be used as a DUAL display which comes in very handy to have a source document or e-mail on one screen and the reply or working document on the other screen. So my recommendation is to not throw away the older desktop at home, integrate it into the network and use it's capabilities

Collapse -
Stuck on an island with choice of laptop or desktop?
by TrailMaster / April 14, 2007 12:23 AM PDT

I would likely pick desktop. I can count on my desktop to carry any heavy load that I throw at it, be it multiple USB devices, multiple optical drives, burning, encoding, gaming, etc. The temperature in a desktop if it was hot would not bother me as much as it would if the notebook was hot. Just like everyone mentioned here, I can switch out all the components easily where as some of the components in a notebook I can't even get to. Way easier to expand on a desktop than it is on a notebook. It is definitely a luxury to own a notebook and nice to have one, but for my job and my entertainment habits I can absolutely live without a notebook. The other benefit of owning a notebook would be to save space, that's the only two advantage I can see a notebook having over a desktop (the other is obvious as it is more portable than a desktop).

Collapse -
OEM
by LegacyGuru / April 14, 2007 12:57 AM PDT

I'm a system builder and my two desktop computers are constantly changing as I exell to the next level. However it looks so that my laptop (DELL XPS M1710) is my "work horse" most of the time and my Blackberry Pearl is my "road warrior" device, can't do whitout it.

Cheers.

K.S.

Collapse -
Computers at home
by draveport / April 14, 2007 1:01 AM PDT

A computer whether a desktop, tower, laptop, Etc. depends on a person's need. Some use various pieces of computer equipment both at home and at work. I like a full tower setup that I put together myself. I like various games, multi-media and to be able to do complex business projects.

Collapse -
pc or laptop?
by emvdwalt / April 14, 2007 2:46 AM PDT

i treated myself to a laptop for the first time recently (after having used a pc for 11 years.) It is convenient but old habits die hard, and I am not sure yet whether I prefer the laptop to the pc. I am not a computer expert either, so I will continue to study all the advice i can get.

Collapse -
i use both
by back_water_tech / April 14, 2007 4:38 AM PDT

I have a lenovo thinkpad and a "brown box" PC

I use the PC to create my web pages and the laptop (if you can call it that, heavy ****** LOL) to view them.

I am thinking of getting a new laptop, but the new ones available from almost all the companies that make them seem to be geard for the kids that have nothing better to do than to watch DVD's and videogames. Not that I won't do either from time to time, I don't use a laptop for games and dvd's.

It is too bad that the laptop manufacturers seem to have forgotten that many of us still do actual work with our protables. I have a dvd player for dvd's and a ps2 for games (maybe a ps3 if they bring the price down).

add WiFi? ok, thanks. Add a huge hard drive and tons of RAM? uh, ok, sure. Add a DVD-RW? Uh, no thanks. Uses too much battery reserve. Add a wide screen? why? don't need it. Add an awesome video subsystem? why? don't need it.

Want my attention to your laptops? Add a EVDO card to it.

Maybe I am just getting old, I also don't see a need for a built in camera and mp3 player in my cell phone. . . Grin

Collapse -
Desktop forever
by The_Dude7 / April 14, 2007 6:12 AM PDT

I will stay with a desktop as long as possible. Why? Because I find it better. Yes I may own a laptop, but that is for my on the go things such as audio recording and a PowerBook G3 500MHz is just fine. Plus you get a bigger screen sizing. And if the screen dies its not as huge of a deal to replace

Collapse -
Laptop-Initially used by necessity-now by choice!
by GinaPA / April 14, 2007 6:55 AM PDT

I got my laptop just prior to having extensive neck surgery last summer because I knew I would be tied to the couch or bed for 2-3 months. For the last several years I had really come to rely on my computer to keep me in touch with the outside world as I am disabled with spine problems. I would have gone stir crazy if I couldn't get online! So I would have to say that I initially got a laptop out of necessity since I would not have been able to sit at my desk AT ALL for several months. HOWEVER....I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could do almost everything on my laptop that I did on my desktop! I use a wireless router to connect to the internet. The laptop came with a free basic printer (that does a surprisingly nice job for a freebie), so whenever I want to print something I just connect the USB cord and I'm all set! Although it only came with 512 mgs of RAM, it can be bumped up to 2 gigs, so it should do OK for quite awhile. That was important to me. The good thing is that I can now avoid sitting at a desk altogether, which was always hard on my lower spine anyway; So I can actually enjoy even MORE time online now than ever before! I have my little TableMate table right here at the couch and I use a small optical mouse so that I don't have to sit up straight for as long as I would need to if I was using just the keyboard or TouchPad. I use the AC power most of the time because it runs almost all day, every day; but it's nice to be able to unplug it and run on battery power whenever I want to use it in the kitchen, bedroom, or outside for a few hours! So, considering how little I have used my desktop computer since last summer, I guess I would have to say that I now use my laptop by choice rather than necessity. I love it and would be absolutely lost now without it!!.......Gina

Collapse -
What is Your Primary Computer Survey Reply
by siktogaja / April 14, 2007 3:35 PM PDT

Just purchased a Toshiba Satellite P100 core-duo centrino 2G

Changed eveything to a wireless router. Way more efficient, way more convenient!

Regards,
b.e.r.t.

Collapse -
I use both interchangeably
by geownic / April 14, 2007 4:20 PM PDT

I use both my desktop for uploading pics and printing, etc... but, I also use my lappy primarily for internet use. I find both my emachine (desktop) and HP (laptop) to prove quite invaluable!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.