SmartMedia (tell us why)
Memory Stick (tell us why)
MultiMedia Card (tell us why)
Secure Digital Card (tell us why)
xD-Picture Card (tell us why)
Others (what is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is your preferred memory card?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is your preferred memory card?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Preferred memory card
by saxjan / January 25, 2007 6:11 PM PST

My preferred card is the SD, because it is one of the most compact ones, and has proven to be very reliable. Since it appears to have become the most common card moreover, it can be used in the majority of cameras, MP3 players, PDA's and GPS devices

Collapse -
CompactFlash
by jka1946 / October 10, 2007 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Preferred memory card

When I got into digital photography CompactFlash was the most common memory card. I later upgraded to Canon EOS digital slr cameras (I have three). The Canon EOS cameras all except CompactFlash I and II. I have CompactFlash cards ranging from 2GB up to 8GB. I've gave all my 256 and 512MB cards away because the just don't hold enough memory when shooting RAW and high-res jpegs. I do have a pocket Canon digital camera that uses SD cards, and I have a couple 1GB cards for it. So I guess CompactFlash is my favorite (by need not choice).

Collapse -
Secure Digital for me!
by J. Blow / January 25, 2007 6:15 PM PST

I prefer SD cards simply for their widespread use. All of my digital cameras accept them, my palm pilot uses them, and with my SanDisk UltraII card, it "flips" to plug directly into a USB port.

Collapse -
Why I Like SD cards
by weeder1951 / January 25, 2007 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: Secure Digital for me!

My camera uses an SD card, so that's why I started to use them. They are so very small, another good quality. My cell phone uses a mini SD card. These are extremely small and come with an SD Card sleeve adapter. So now, all of my removable backup devices are the SD kind. Storeage amounts are many and varied. The ones I have are below:
128mb 1 SD
256mb 1 SD
512mb 1 SD
1 gb 1 SD
4 gb 1 SD
1 gb miniSD uses SD sleeve to fit into an sd reading device.

I don't walk around with a bunch of SD cards in my pocket. Several other storage devices are so much better for that kind of environment.

Collapse -
Memory Stick
by vitasx / January 25, 2007 6:47 PM PST

i use it because my W800 suports Memory Stick Memory Duo and Stick PRO Duo i am using 512mb PRO Duo nearly a year nad had no problems

Collapse -
Preferred memory card
by activesinger / January 25, 2007 6:48 PM PST

I use Compact Flash in my digital SLRs for the simple reason that that it is the only type of card the bodies will accept!

Collapse -
Why can't we have a standard?
by TreknologyNet / January 25, 2007 6:55 PM PST

As much as I don't like following a big company, most OSes in current use, Linux, Mac, Windows all recognise USB sticks, and most card readers PRETEND to be USB sticks. So when someone releases a camera which allows me to plug a USB stick straight into it, I'll be fighting my way to the front of the queue--no dependence on proprietary cables or cards!

Collapse -
memory sticks
by rosalie3 / January 26, 2007 5:34 AM PST

I so agree with you ,with all the technology going on, and they still haven't made a digital camera that you can just put the memory stick in and whamo!!
how easy.

Collapse -
too big
by cnomura / January 28, 2007 8:39 AM PST

USB sticks are just too big for cameras or mp3 players. SD is becoming the standard in digital memory because of reliability, availability and size. The mini Sd is tiny. Soon they will 50-100 gig as technology progresses.
It's Sony and Fugifilm creating the chaos as usual with XD. They're more $$ for no reason. They just love to screw things up. XD is for the birds.

Collapse -
Memory Cards
by Derek R / January 25, 2007 6:55 PM PST

I much prefer Compact flash as they are the choice of the top name Digital Proffesional cameras. The size is academic as all memory cards are tiny compared with equivelent amount of film, plus you can get a 4gb for as little as

Collapse -
Secure Digital
by paulogloria / January 25, 2007 7:26 PM PST

It's my favorite for no special reason. It is the only one I used in my digital (photo) cameras. I never had problems with SD cards. I think they are reliable. But this is a limited opinion, because of lack of experience with other cards.

Collapse -
Memory card
by erley / January 25, 2007 7:49 PM PST

I think this discussion is totally unnecessary because nobody buys a camera because of its type of memory card but because of other features. next, you have to buy the memory card appropriate for that camera so .....

Collapse -
Not true
by farrid / January 25, 2007 8:47 PM PST
In reply to: Memory card

Some are so sick of the war on memory card formats to follow that it play's a large point in my decision. Will not buy a Memory Stick Pro because it won't fit in any of my other products. The magic word is COMPATABILITY!!!!

Collapse -
I agree!
by Call_Me / January 26, 2007 12:06 AM PST

Although an interesting thread, I agree with the poster who said that this is a superfluous topic. I would NEVER buy a camera based on the memory stick options; you get what you get (regarding storage) when you chose the camera that's right for you.

I only buy SONY products because they've never failed me. I own 3 SONY VAIO laptops and 2 SONY digital cameras. I love their extreme ease in transfering files fron my Memory Stick on the camera to computer. Unless SONY stopped making cameras, I wouldn't change.

I agree with the poster who recommended to use multiple, smaller Memory Sticks to capture memories and to download them daily. I'm guessing that this is a carry-over, for me, from the days of film rolls. Wherever I travel, I download my images at the end of each day, so I immediately know if something has gone right or wrong with the shots. I also carry blank CD's that I download all of the vacation/work photos to before I leave, just in case something happens to the computer or hard-drive before I get home. I know it seems Uber-catious, even repetitive, to do so, but I'd rather have TOO much back up than not enough.

Collapse -
just proved my point
by farrid / January 26, 2007 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: I agree!

You just said exactly what I am trying to explain. You buy all Sony products so your memory stick pro works on all you products!!!!!!!!
Hello? Compatibility? Industry standard?
Hopefully it will never be Sony as the standard though.

Collapse -
Oh Do I disagree
by LionsMike / January 26, 2007 7:54 AM PST

If you were looking at cars would you ignore the fact that one got less than 2 miles per gallon and an other got more than 40 miles per gallon,

I advise people to buy a camera which use SD Memory at well less than $10.00 per Gig and avoid cameras which use Memory Stick which tends to run closer to $200.00 per Gig

I got a 256Meg Memory Stick Pro on sale for $70.00 and a 2 Gig SD memory card for $13.99

Collapse -
Preferred Memory Card
by PGerald / January 25, 2007 7:58 PM PST

I use the Compact Flash because my camera only uses that type.

Collapse -
Why I prefer an xD Memory card
by mike247worldwide / January 25, 2007 8:35 PM PST

My wife bought me a Fuji camera as my first digital. Fuji, of course, uses xD, so I just got into the habit. If I had it to do over I would go with SD since they are more widespread.

Collapse -
There needs to be an industry standard
by farrid / January 25, 2007 8:44 PM PST

I prefer Secure Digital because it is the most common. I have chosen this one card to be my standard for future purchases. If I buy a new camera it will support SD not Memoy Stick Pro or other. The only reason there is more of a variety is to slowly trap the consumer into continuing to buy products that support it, at least this does apply to Sony. Fortunately manufactures are comming around and including more than one slot in their product. Another example it Blue ray or DVD recorders, can't a blue ray player support regular DVD's as well, and if a DVD recorder plays store bought dual layer DVD's shouldn't it play a dual layer I burned at home. The answer is yes and unfortunately the truth is no unless it burns dual layer on the recorder it won't play your homemade.
We do need to find a format or common ground and stick to it. What a scam the technology sector is playing on us.

Collapse -
Prefer Compact Flash
by Irelands child / January 25, 2007 9:22 PM PST

I prefer the CF card for several reasons (and we do have an SD camera as well):

1 - My D70S uses them
2 - They are robust - and their contacts are protected
3 - They have become reasonably priced
4 - My big hands don't have a problem handling them
5 - A lot easier to find if misplaced (oops CRS again)

Collapse -
CF -- What preference
by OnFilm / January 26, 2007 12:48 AM PST
In reply to: Prefer Compact Flash

Like others, I use CF because that is the only one that my camera (Nikon D1X) takes. Just in case these are discontinued, I have stockpiled several spare cards in the under 2GB size that will fit my camera ... I don't want to be in the position that people with working condition with great Zeiss optics Rollei have that the camera is on the shelf because 127 film is not available.

Collapse -
Prefer SmartMedia card, because?
by jfchappell / January 25, 2007 9:37 PM PST

?because it is the only one my camera will accept. Duh. The readers who complained about compatibility issues are right on target. If there ever was a problem crying out for legislation, surely this is it. At one time DIN set standards that were followed all over Europe, just as Edison did here in the early days of electric power in the home. That flat-pronged gismo you stick in the wall is an "Edison plug" and the threaded base on your light bulb fits an "Edison socket" even if it's from George Westinghouse's factory and not a Mazda lamp from Tom Edison's company. What's wrong with that?
Every lighter plug fits every car socket, but the other end of that wire? Gimme a break! The DC current and voltage is all the same, but by the time it reaches the hole on your mobile telephone, or your portable computer or refrigerator or whatever, it has to be completely different ? something specially designed by the manufacturer for the sole purpose of NOT WORKING with anybody else's cord.
There outta be a law ? or a lawsuit. Anybody else feel that way?

Collapse -
Right On!!!!
by Aardasp / January 27, 2007 2:56 AM PST

I bought my wife a very early digital camera (3.1 mp)that uses Smart Media prior to any discussion by Olympus that it would be discontinued!!!

I have since purchased a bunch of these, and hopefully I will die prior to all the cards going bad! Happy

Collapse -
Compact Flash - may it live for ever ;-)
by daveemtb / January 25, 2007 9:38 PM PST

I prefer Compact flash although I have used many memory card formats including SD, MMC, MS, XD, RS-MMC, Micro SD, Smart Media, PCMCIA (old pc card/cardbus type).

The reasons are:
-Size. It's big enough to not be fiddly and to allow quick manipulation with big fingers. SD cards are ok but just a bit too small for my liking.
-Robust - test are showing again and again that CF is much more robust than SD. As an example, check out http://www.thinkcamera.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=181
-Fast. CF is faster than all the others.
-Cheap. For the same specs (speed and capacity) CF has always been cheaper.

Collapse -
SD Card is my preferred choice.
by dmjohnsonus / January 25, 2007 9:38 PM PST

A SD Card, in my opinion, is the most versatile storage medium for a few reasons. 1) They're not so small as opposed to the xd picture card and therefore not as easy to loose, in adddition, there's no adapter needed in a lot of cases. 2) I already had a variety of SD Cards I used with my PDA prior to buying a digital camera so when I was shopping for a camera, I looked for one that uses SD Card Media to save on cost. 3) In the large scope of devices that use flash, the SD Card is the most common media for the majority of devices on the market. Very versatile.

Collapse -
Secure Digital
by juanhacko / January 25, 2007 9:57 PM PST

Not much choice--I have three cameras and they all take SD.

Collapse -
Please don't ask for legislation- let the market work it ou
by coffeecan / January 25, 2007 10:09 PM PST

I use sd because it came with the camera that I like. Otherwise I don't know that much about it. It works fine.
I agree that a lot of other products, such as charger connections should be standardized but please don't try to get it legislated. For gosh sakes, lets keep the government out of it. The government is in my life enough as it is. Good luck to all with whatever method they use.

Collapse -
different cards for different machines
by sharee100 / January 25, 2007 10:48 PM PST

I use a compact flash for my camera, sd for one phone, and micro for the other phone. The micro is really hard to handle.

Collapse -
CF is the preferred
by graham_346 / January 25, 2007 11:14 PM PST

Why? Because it's cheap and I can also use them for my GPS unit as well as 2 other cameras that use that format.

Collapse -
Cheap and cheerful
by jeanniegraham / January 25, 2007 11:23 PM PST

Compact Flash gets my vote. I would actually go a far as to say I would not buy a camera which used a different format. You can get CF everywhere, the PCMCIA adaptors for them cost pennies, they are nice to handle, very robust - no contest IMO!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.