The CNET Lounge

General discussion

What is your excuse for being iPhoneless?

by rollergold / June 29, 2007 5:21 PM PDT

In the sprit of the iPhone and the latest BOL ep. what your reaso.. I mean excuse for being iPhoneless?

My reason is well I don't live in the US I'm Canadian Sad

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is your excuse for being iPhoneless?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is your excuse for being iPhoneless?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reason: I don't speak nor understand Sheep
by genotypewriter / June 29, 2007 5:37 PM PDT

People make it sound almost as if we weren't human before the iPhone came. I'm sick of how almost every page on CNET has the word "iPhone" repeated several times.

This thing is just another gadget... let's say it revolutionises the gadget world for some reason... but so what? Does it make people better than what they are now just because they have one?

In terms of functionality, it's just got a bunch of existing things added to it... ok, some think the multitouch screen is the holy grail... why? Is it going to make you smarter?

Most people who go and buy these things are sheep... just like most people who have white wires hanging from their ears 24/7 like they're life support devices. What have those people done with their lives? They just eat, sleep, follow the heard and exist... just like sheep.

Get a grip, people!

Collapse -
I couldn't agree more
by benanzo / June 29, 2007 6:19 PM PDT

I don't understand how some can get so excited about a device that sets artificial limits on functionality (no third-party apps) and costs 600% more than every phone I've ever bought. Not to mention the fact that they're being duped into paying a premium for severely inferior connectivity (EDGE's 384k max vs EVDO's 2400k max.)

You're right, they're sheep.

But I can't fault Apple or AT&T for exploiting these individuals. Why would AT&T upgrade their network to meet their customers' demands? Simple - they control their customers.

If you want to see where the mobile market will be in five years, look at the Greenphone or OpenMoko. No limits whatsoever. I couldn't be happier that Ubuntu is developing a mobile OS.

Collapse -
iPhone over-hype
by teddkg / June 29, 2007 6:32 PM PDT
In reply to: I couldn't agree more
Collapse -
just...
by bstockwell / June 29, 2007 6:37 PM PDT

Just doing my part to try and stop spple from making any sort of headway into the phone business (which I do in all aspects of business Apple dabbles in).

Also, I'm not a big fan of cell phones.

Collapse -
Neo-Luddite In Techie Clothing
by Catgic / June 29, 2007 10:24 PM PDT
rollergold --- As regards my excuse for being iPhoneless, I guess I am a Neo-Luddite in techie clothing.

So far, I have been successful in resisting the excesses of modern technology, technical systems and the associated Info-Comm inventions that have evolved to control me and threaten my essential humanity rather than serving me. Just yesterday I stopped for a comfort break in the Men?s Room only to hear some Citizen Sheep sitting in one of the stalls taking care of his personal business while talking to someone on his cell phone. That definitely was a returned phone call that could have waited.

Some how I have been able to resist being ?plugged in? to the Cell Phone User ?Hive.? As a result, I am not bombarded with receiving over-the-transom, impulse-driven instant gratification launched cell phone calls or instant messaging in church, the grocery store, the bathroom or my true love's boudoir.

I live and productively manage my interpersonal communications and social and business life using a wireline phone and an ?I am not available now, but leave a message and I will return your call? answering machine. Total cost of AT&T communication service --- $23.41 per month

I have yet to purchase my first cell phone, so the iPhone will just have to get in line. The iPhone looks glitzy and nice, and is well hyped, but it falls woefully short on the features and capabilities I would want in ?my first cell phone.? The iPhone don?t do 3G. It is essentially on ?LOW BATTERY? right after you turn it on with a fully charged battery. It is unable to sync with current corporate e-mail servers?and on.

Click on http://www.edn.com/blog/400000040/post/1090006509.html to see the details of 10 Apple iPhone shortcomings listed below:

1. EDGE-only, and limited Wi-Fi.
2. No removeable battery.
3. High price, and high profit margin.
4. Carrier- and application-lock.
5. Large size.
6. No tactile keypad.
7. Low-Rez camera.
8. No expansion slot.
9. Insufficient between-charge operating time.
10. Unoriginality.

I agree with genotypewriter. The iPhone is ?just another gadget? and the buyer-users are ?sheep.? The I Must Have A $600 iPhone Sheep are only waiting in line to make contributions to Steve Jobs? Annual Executive Bonus. JP Cool
Collapse -
(NT) Umm, I just don't want one...
by dro0001 / June 29, 2007 11:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) iPoor :(
by kwahhn / June 29, 2007 11:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
perfer verizon converage
by nutjob / June 30, 2007 12:07 AM PDT

Travel to Montana, Wisconsin, Idaho where there is little to no ATT coverage. I also travel to Canada. Singapore, and China where interestingly my phone works on their CDMA.

Collapse -
not enough of a value...
by shawnlin / June 30, 2007 12:29 AM PDT

Same reason i'm ferrari-less like most of us here.

But it ultimately comes to how much value the individual sees in the product. I'll pay near top $ for photo equipment because i know i'll use enough to get my $ worth.

I dont care much for putting much effort in being trendy or cool. The iPhone is a really neat product that i just don't need.

i just just tapped this out on my nokia n800 which i really enjoy.

best,
Shalin

Collapse -
What is your excuse for being iPhoneless?
by wizkids32 / June 30, 2007 6:23 AM PDT

I am on Verizon wireless and it is to expensive. Is my excuse and it cost to much to get out of my contract.

Collapse -
personally?
by woodygg / June 30, 2007 6:25 AM PDT

i have a phone already and it works just fine.

i don't need the ego stroke either...

Collapse -
Why I'm iPhone-less?
by Mud Shark / June 30, 2007 8:07 AM PDT

Because I'm broke, and I have a perfectly good RAZR V3xx I got on AT&Tingular for 50 bucks.

Collapse -
Because if I'm going to browse the web on the move
by fbbbb / June 30, 2007 6:10 PM PDT

I won't do it on a highly compromised trinket held together with superficial innovations based around the worst web renderer out there, Webkit. I also prefer my MP3 player to be separate.

I have a UX390 - a real portable computer based around a real operating system.

Collapse -
(NT) I wouldn't call the UX390 anything to gloat about.
by benanzo / June 30, 2007 6:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
No IPhone in Canada Yet
by niksterb5m / July 1, 2007 1:05 AM PDT

Actually, after reading all of the reviews this morning, I'm glad we don't have the iPhone yet in Canada. It sounds like this will be the most amazing device ever...... when version 2 or 3 comes out.

Since I'm one of these "first guy on the block to have the newest toy" type of people, I would've shelled out the money to have one of these. From the reviews, it sounds like I would've been disappointed. Like I said earlier, I'm sure this will be the coolest device on earth when they add, 3G, voice activated calling, a removable/replaceable battery, keyboard layout in landscape mode, fix that irritating earbud recepticle problem, have it connect to exchange, include 10-20 GIG storage, include removable storage? and maybe, just maybe (but I doubt it) unselfishly realize that Firefox would've been the way go. Not Safari.

Yep, My 5th gen iPod, is the most amazing device I own. I get giddy at the thought of what the 2nd or 3 gen of the iPod will be.

Collapse -
my excuse?
by woodygg / July 1, 2007 1:09 AM PDT

1. i have a cell phone already.
2. it does pretty much everything the iphone does.
3. i'm secure enough in myself to not have to have the ego stroke by having to have the 'latest' or 'coolest'

Collapse -
Why i WISH i was iphone less
by isalwen / July 1, 2007 6:07 AM PDT

Okay, I'm one of the shmucks to stand in line for a long time to get an iphone with the expectation that apple would have a few tricks still up their sleeves. So I find myself wishing i was iphoneless.

So far I have determined that the iphone is a $600 ipod and portable photo album. Both function very well. But their integration of calendar, email, and contacts are terrible (at best).

With just a little bit more work the iphone could have been incredible cross over device and gobbled up the treo/blackberry market.

Calendar is terrible.

Contats is only accessible via the phone or email areas.

neither sync with goodlink or exchange (even though ical and addressbook are "supposed" to be able to do that).

iTunes does not sync consistently. So, you can't leave your iphone plugged in all day and then expect it to be up to date. it is only as up to date as your last MANUAL SYNC REQUEST. Ridiculous!

I could go on forever. But the most frustrating thing is that it is SO CLOSE to being great. I'm sure the next version will be as good as this one was supposed to be.

Collapse -
(NT) I need an excuse? lol ;)
by robstak / July 1, 2007 6:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Religious reasons
by Ron-Mexico / July 1, 2007 7:01 AM PDT

I was excommunicated from the Cult of Steve when I began to 'think different.'

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.