Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What is wrong with Norton Live Update??

by Hyperspace / February 2, 2006 2:10 PM PST

I used Live Update tonight and, for the first time ever, it told me that the update for virus definitions had failed. I clicked on the error code and the Symantec website advised me to download the Symantec Automated Support Assistant which then updated my Live Update file from LuComServer_2_6.EXE to LuComServer_3_0.EXE.
I then rebooted, as instructed, and tried running Live Update again. Once again it failed but the new error code sent me here: http://service1.symantec.com/support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/
2004030908410213?OpenDocument&seg=hho&src=_mi&product=LU&
version=3.0&language=english&module=LU&error=1834&build=Sy
mantec
which instructed me on how to replace damaged Live Update files. I followed the instructions but was unable to delete ALUSchedulerSvc.exe because Windows told me it was in use! I followed everything else except uninstalling the whole works and reinstalling.
I'm hopping mad right now because Symantec is the one that forced me to update this file and then they say their update is damaged!!

Any advice?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is wrong with Norton Live Update??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is wrong with Norton Live Update??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
answer to norton problem
by wolfy4505 / February 2, 2006 2:52 PM PST

try to re install the norton software and then let the program run live update at end. If this still doesnt work go get another kind of antivirus software. -- wolfy

Collapse -
Re: What is wrong with Norton Live Update??
by Tufenuf / February 2, 2006 8:08 PM PST
Collapse -
Resolved itself?!
by Hyperspace / February 2, 2006 10:19 PM PST

I turned on my PC this morning and decided to run Live Update again. This time it worked! It couldn;t have been a reboot issue because I rebooted several times last night throughout this ordeal.
I'm beginning to suspect that this was a Norton server issue but, instead of admitting that, Symantec gave me that stupid link about how my Live Update software might be damaged.
All hail the corporate giants. <sarcastic>

Collapse -
Norton Antivirus
by tommy97_18 / February 2, 2006 10:32 PM PST
In reply to: Resolved itself?!

I tried removing norton antivirus and i get this error
no Instopts.dat, what is this?

Collapse -
Re: Norton Antivirus
by Tufenuf / February 2, 2006 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: Norton Antivirus

tommy97_18, Which Norton Program and version is it exactly. Norton AV 2004, etc.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Removing Norton AntiVirus
by kagemi / February 3, 2006 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: Norton Antivirus

Norton spreads stuff all over your system so a typical uninstall doesn't remove everything. Below are instructions that I got from another forum and it worked great. Be sure you completely remove it before installing another antivirus program.
======================================================
NORTON AV REMOVAL

1) Download Regseeker from here: http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm but don?t run it yet.

2) Use the uninstaller provided by Control Panel/Add-Remove programs;

3) Use Start/Search to find and delete any remaining 'Symantec' / 'Norton' files.
Unhide your 'hidden' files in Explorer. If you don?t know how to do this click here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/...utorial=62

4) At this point I would disconnect your internet connection since you have no anti-virus at all now, and reboot.

5) Backup system registry. XP has a Backup utility to do this.

1. Start Regseeker and make sure the box Backup before deletion is checked in lower left corner.
2. In upper left corner click on Find in registry
3. In the Search For box enter: Norton and click on Search
4. When the search finishes click on Select All at bottom of screen which will highlight all items.
5. Right click mouse anywhere in the screen and select Delect selected items. This will remove all items remaining in the registry.
6. Repeat steps 3 ? 5 with Symantec in the search box.

6) Reconnect internet connection, reboot, and install AVG

There are a lot of good registry cleaners out there and Regseeker is one of them but all of them seem to cause some problems for some people when using them to actually CLEAN the registry. So I would not recommend using Regseeker for this purpose. By using steps 1 ?5 above we are just removing specific items from the registry and not messing with anything else.

Collapse -
Abandon Norton
by spicetrader / February 2, 2006 11:24 PM PST

When McAfee caused my Windows 98 machine to freeze, I switched to Norton and continued to use Norton on several machines for years, and I don't know why. It breaks down roughly every 3 months. Not just my machine, but friends have asked me to help them with their Norton AV and Firewalls and LU, too. When Norton would break down, I would spend several hours trying to get an answer out of their Byzantine technical support, and installing Norton software always required several reboots. When Zone Labs came out with Zonealarm AV, I abandoned Norton. My Zonealarm AV has worked fine for 6 or 8 months. I did have some trouble removing an infected file that had been quarantined at one point, but Zone tech support exchanged several emails with me and guided me thru that. Your problems aren't entirely over when you decide to get rid of Norton, because you have to uninstall it. Uninstalling Norton is a non-trivial task. There are 4 or 5 components. The Windows XP Add/Remove Programs can't get them all. Eventually, I zipped the program folder (just in case I should really want to get it back) and deleted the unzipped. And then rebooted of course, finally disabling Norton. I don't regret getting rid of either Norton or McAfee.

I hope this helps.

db

Collapse -
What is wrong with Norton Live Update??
by kagemi / February 2, 2006 11:57 PM PST

I went through all of this months ago and finally got fed up. Nothing ever worked, just kept directing me to other links as you said. I uninstalled Norton and installed AVG from Grisoft, a highly rated, FREE, application that has worked perfectly. I get automatic updates sometimes daily, all very quick and painless. It also scans incoming and outgoing email. Check it out at: www.grisoft.com

Collapse -
Norton is heavy footprint loser.
by tommie gorman / February 3, 2006 12:51 PM PST

Norton and Mc Affee want your money,point blank.AVG free and AVAST are free and highest rated free Anti Virus's on the market. Kind of a tie. Both light footrint, and work without trouble. Norton, second purchase and go around finally ticked me off. Same as yours, virus would not let me download updates, again. Downloaded AVG onto c.d. and downloaded off line and no trouble ever again. Takes more than money to keep a computer clean. Sometimes just research. Best products are actually free.

Collapse -
DUMP NORTON
by jimichan / February 4, 2006 9:10 AM PST

I did and couldn't be happier! After the subscription on the pre-loaded version in my new computer ran out, I purchased Norton Internet Security 2006. Thought I was going top-of-the-line. But my new dream system became my worst nightmare! I had to wipe everything and start over. After doing that it is as good as new, but I spent a lot of very miserable time. Money and time wasted! Symantec should pay me!

Collapse -
For every Norton Horror Story there are many good stories
by steve11375 / February 4, 2006 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: DUMP NORTON

I personally used Norton 2003 on an old Windows '98 machine, used both 2004 & 2005 on an XP pro machine, everyone cries resources/live update, I almost never had a problem, I loved Norton A/V software. A friend needed to update her software (using Norton), just for the heck of it, I uninstalled Norton (she is not some power user, does basic E-Mail and a google search every once in a while) and installed AVG FREE. Well AVG FREE was so good on her puter when my Norton A/V came do, I also uninstalled Norton & AVG FREE is doing a GREAT job on my computer as well.

So Norton is not so AWFUL if U don't want to spend $30 on an upgrade AVG looks really good.

Steve

Collapse -
I used to like Norton too!
by jimichan / February 4, 2006 1:08 PM PST

Sorry if I came off like a rabid ranter. My new system was just rendered almost useless when I upgraded to the Norton Internet Security 2006 and I guess I'm still a little grumpy. After a system restore, and a return to the 2005 that came with the system, everything's great.

I would still recommend staying away from the 2006, though!

Collapse -
For every Norton Horror Story there are many good stories
by sgjohn / February 6, 2006 12:36 AM PST

What is AVG?

Collapse -
Google Search reveals this...
by glenn30 / February 6, 2006 1:01 AM PST
Collapse -
NORTON INTERNET SECUITY 2006 - EXPENSIVE PROBLEMS
by newmike / February 28, 2006 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: DUMP NORTON

I too have encountered serious problems as a result of trying to upgrade to Norton Internet Security 2006 ? indeed my problems have been worse as I could not use System Restore. With Norton 2006 failing to install I followed Symantec?s troubleshooting pages ? including sending them an e-mail with a copy of my Settings as per their online instructions to which they have failed to reply. I then found I could no longer access secure web sites (usually ending up with blank screen) and certain Microsoft features would not work, e.g. Help and Support, Search, new User Account, System Restore. Also found on some non secure sites hyperlinks would not work. Similarly certain online e-mail systems, including CNet, would not function when clicking on 'Submit' - the screen remained the same.

I followed, as far as is possible in view of limitations referred to above, Microsofts 'How to troubleshoot situations where you cannot complete MSN sign-up or connect to SSL secured (128-Bit) Web sites by using Internet Explorer in Windows XP' and 'How to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages with Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 2'. In the first of these re Cypher Strength appearing as 128 bit did not appear - it was blank

Having spent

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.