Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Question

What is widdit.com ?

by N.T.Gray / December 14, 2012 8:47 PM PST

I'm having some issues with my Dell desktop running Win7, and it seems to be related to something called widdit.com. I frequently find a page loading endlessly, and in the lower left corner a box will say "loading widdit.com" or something similar. What is it, and how do I get rid of it? AVG 2013 Free, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Malwarebytes all find nothing when I scan with them.

NTG

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is widdit.com ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is widdit.com ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
here's a link about removing widdit
by itsdigger / December 14, 2012 9:01 PM PST
In reply to: What is widdit.com ?
Collapse -
Answer
Scans
by pgc3 / December 14, 2012 9:33 PM PST

When you do you scan, specifically with Malwarebytes are you doing it in Safe Mode With Networking? If not, that is what you want to try.

Collapse -
Answer
Did You Check Your Add-Ons?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 10:06 AM PST

NTG..

Have a look at your add-ons. If you don't see it listed, check to see if you have the Ask Toolbar installed. Temporarily disable any add-ons you can't readily identify, to see if it makes a difference. Some have found the culprit to be in their Programs folder listed as "Complitly".

What is it? http://www.widdit.com/help/Eula.aspx

At many of the sites I visited where users found it to be problematic, a rep (or the like) from widdit appears "singing its praises". Perhaps, you'll find the same will happen here. wink

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Negative
by N.T.Gray / December 16, 2012 10:19 PM PST

I can't find anything in my add-ons that points to Ask or Complitly. Anyway, I get the same symptoms in Firefox and in IE, so it appears to be something in my PC, not just in my browser. My laptop does not show any of these symptoms.

At this point I would just like to know more about widdit. I am beginning to suspect that it may be a legal, but extraordinarly rude, commercial program. I do NOT want to go to the widdit web site and get removal instructions, as a supposed representative of the widdit company(?) invites people to do. So far I have found three different forums that have been discussing widdit, and the widdit rep made an appearance on two of them, but overall I didn't get enough information from those forums to answer my fundamental questions. And I'm afraid that going to the widdit web site will simply download a whole slew of additional spyware onto my machine. That's why I'm hoping to find an outside source, such as an anti-virus program or a knowledgeable PC user, that knows how to kill widdit. And why I want to know more about widdit itself.

NTG

Collapse -
I Agree..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: Negative

- I am beginning to suspect that it may be a legal, but extraordinarly rude, commercial program.

I agree. According to what I've read it is legal. Where the "legal line" is drawn remains to be seen.

- I do NOT want to go to the widdit web site and get removal instructions as a supposed representative of the widdit company(?) invites people to do.

- And I'm afraid that going to the widdit web site will simply download a whole slew of additional spyware onto my machine.

I didn't access the removal instructions provided by the so-called rep, despite the fact WOT (and other site checkers) deems the site to be safe. I copied the below from Widdit via Google's cache. As an added note, had you read their removal instructions, I doubt they would have been useful. (You already checked your Programs and add-ons without success)

- At this point I would just like to know more about widdit.

I don't know how much information you gathered from the sites you visited, but according to Widdit:

Widdit provides Browser and Application add ons ("Add Ons") that enables users to receive website information and search and browsing enhancement, such as search autocomplete.

What is Widdit?

Widdits is a clever search autocomplete service, which helps you perform quicker more accurate searches and get new search ideas as you type.

The Widdit Add-on

The Widdit Add-on is a useful browser add-on that displays unbiased, independent search suggestions and tools when typing into any search box on the web. Widdit empowers users by exposing them to better search suggestions, while also introducing alternative destinations of interest. The Add-on maintains user search habits when browsing other websites, simply making search easier and quicker, while producing improved results!

Widdit For Websites

Widdit automatically gives users search suggestions based on what they have typed - as they're typing. Suggestions are based on your website's content to significantly shorten search time and make it more effective. Once added to your site, suggestions improve and adapt based on actual searches conducted by your users. Simply copy/paste our html code and integrate Add Widdit to your website and give your users a faster way to find what they're looking for. '

Elsewhere: 'Widdit Suggested Terms or Personal Search Completion is similar to the Google suggestion terms which suggests relevant phrases and terms to users while they are typing in a search box. Search completion is displayed under the search box and dynamically changes as you type.

I couldn't find anything more specific. Or helpful, for that matter. Sad

In your original post you wrote of (widdit-related) pages loading endlessly. Nothing about search suggestions (or auto complete) as described above. Could it be it came bundled with something you recently installed? I found those who were able to remove it, were able to identify where it came from. (i.e. Widdit, AutoComplete Pro, Crossrider, Complitly, etc.) Did you check all the "search" settings on your system?

You asked how to 'kill it'. You can give Rkill a try (immediately followed by MBAM without a restart), but I'm not convinced it's going to find the offending culprit. Definitely worth a try, though.

Have you tried scanning with HitmanPro or ESET's Online Scanner?

I don't know of one specific scanner, which addresses it. (It doesn't mean one doesn't exist). There's a long list of diagnostic tools used at the malware removal forums - one of which may be of help.

Best of luck..
Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.