Audio & Video Software forum

Question

What is VLC for? ? use Win Movie Maker to watch movies?

by midela / March 29, 2012 10:25 AM PDT

Hi out there!
I noticed that my laptop came with something called VLC, it looks like is for playing media.
I really don't understand their instructions.
Can I use this to watch my movies in my laptop?
Also, how can I use win movie maker ( Win 7 ) to watch movies in my laptop?

How can I do this with my laptop, wireless router, and HDTV?

Thanks everyone!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is VLC for? ? use Win Movie Maker to watch movies?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is VLC for? ? use Win Movie Maker to watch movies?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
VLC
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 29, 2012 9:35 PM PDT

VLC is just a replacement media player. Nothing special except it does have it's own codecs that enable it to play media that other media players will not.

Can you use it to watch movies? Yes, normal and HD, but probably not Blu-ray.

Why do you want to use Windows' Movie Maker to watch movies? It edits movies like those movies you record with your digital movie camera.

How to use VLC with your laptop? Just play them.

How to use VLC with a wireless router? If the laptop is connected to the internet via the laptop, then you watch movies via your internet browser.

I don't have an HDTV so I can't answer that one, sorry.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Whatching movies with HDTV.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 29, 2012 9:44 PM PDT

Just tune the TV to the broadcaster (like CBS, BBC) that broadcasts the movie you want to see. But your cable provider might offer movie-on-demand using a box also. You don't even need a laptop or wireless router for that.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks so much, But.....
by midela / March 30, 2012 1:36 AM PDT

Hi!
Thanks for your answer, BUT, perhaps I should explain my self, more clearly.
What I am wanting to know is, how can I watch my own movies, that I have saved in my laptop, on my HDTV?

In other words, I have a movie saved in my laptop. I do not want to sit huddled around my laptop, watching it on a little screen. I want to comfortably watch it on my HDTV.

How do I do that with a wireless router?

Do I have to buy something to "connect" the laptop to the TV? Or, is there a way of doing this, without having to purchasing something?

Something I DID discover, on my own, last night, was how to burn a movie to disc, using my Win 7 DVD maker!
YAAAY! One point for a determined "Newbie" Grandma! It actually works!
However, I CANNOT figure out how to get it to burn, in "wide zoom", which uses the entire TV screen, rather than "full", which only uses about 2/3's of the screen.

Anyway, I hope you can continue to help me!
Thanks again!

Collapse -
Re: movies
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 30, 2012 5:45 AM PDT

The three usual ways:
1. Turn your laptop into a DLNA server (your TV needs to support DLNA via the router, either wired or wireless).
2. Connect the hdmi out of your laptop to the hdmi in of your TV (using a hdmi cable) and play on the laptop.
3. Copy the movies to an external harddisk or USB stick and see if the TV can play them from those devices.
One of them might work good enough for you.

Kees

Collapse -
WoW! Good Ideas!
by midela / March 30, 2012 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: movies

Hi!

Thanks so much! I can't wait, until I have free time in a day or so, to try these ideas!
I'll let you know how they work out!
Thanks for the brainstorming, for me!
You are wonderful!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.