Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What is this type of virus or condition?

by Thereason437 / August 31, 2013 10:31 AM PDT

There is a sort of virus or random acting condition where sometimes when I am on the internet and typing, all of the sudden the page starts turning black and the screen gets smaller for like 10 seconds. Why the heck is this happening.

By the way, I love this forum and it's advice. It's given on buying the right hardware and software. I can't wait to share my opinions here.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is this type of virus or condition?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is this type of virus or condition?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I am trying to find out
by Thereason437 / August 31, 2013 12:05 PM PDT

I do not know if it's a virus for certain. It may be something that just happens because the computer is old and doing funny things.

Collapse -
Monitor?
by mchainmchain / August 31, 2013 2:39 PM PDT

Is this a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor? Or is it a LCD (Liquid Crystal Display)?

How old is old?

Collapse -
About 9 years
by Thereason437 / August 31, 2013 9:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Monitor?

The computer came out in 2005 and it is a (Cathode Ray Tube)

Collapse -
CRT
by mchainmchain / September 1, 2013 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: About 9 years

Issue you see is likely a hardware issue with your monitor then. This would especially be true if it also does this when not online, given the age of the unit. You should hear some type of intermittent sounds from the CRT as it resets internal settings as it changes and reverts back.

Try this monitor on another system. Does it do the same thing there?

What is the make, model of both the system and monitor? Using a built-in video card or add-on video card?

If you had a virus or other malware, you would know. System performance would take a hit, and your a/v should tell you.

Collapse -
Nod to CRT issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2013 4:53 AM PDT

I've seen that as CRTs start to fail. 9 years was a great run. I would not feel bad about that.
Bob

Collapse -
virus scan
by lucas185 / September 6, 2013 12:44 PM PDT

I think its is a worm, try doing a scan with both malwarebytes antimalware , and avast 2013. or mabey avg. if that fails here are some super powerful antivirus. super anti spyware, combo fix, malware bytes anti rootkit, and tdss killer

Collapse -
Details always helps
by Willy / September 7, 2013 12:01 AM PDT

Considering you already posted that this is a 9yr. old CRT monitor it leans that the h/w saw better days. Further, on some websites the font(text) being used is generally more mixed and you're old CRT can't keep up thus getting old. As the others posted follow that advise and see if it happens offline. A decent test is using the DXDIAG tests. At the run button, type DXDIAG and check results.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.