Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Question

What is this in my USBs when i plug them into my pc?

by anthonasr / April 17, 2013 11:38 PM PDT

One day I plugged my USB and I didn't find any of my files.
I went to "Tools >> Folder options >> View >> Show Hidden files and folders, unchecked the Hide extensions, Unchecked the Hide protected operating system files"
and here I see an Icon as my Drive (in other USBs as a folder) without any name or label

I right click on the icon, I can't find any delete and if I click on "Properties" nothing shows up.

If I double click on it, it opens another window showing my USB files that were supposed to be directly in my USB.

Is there anything I can do to delete this virus from all my USB and external HDD I plugged into my pc and had the same problem.

I checked my pc for any viruses or something, it didn't show anything. I'm not sure if it's a virus or anything in my PC making this folder icon show or if it's from the USB drives i'm using, but as i used to plug all my usb before and never showed anything untill now any usb drive i put in my pc it does the same !!!

Thank you a lot

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is this in my USBs when i plug them into my pc?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is this in my USBs when i plug them into my pc?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That sounds more like a folder security app.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2013 11:56 PM PDT

Due to folk asking for security on USB drives some do exactly that on some machines. As autorun has changed over the years this autolaunch of the security is failing for most. So as presented it does not sound like a virus but some security on the drive.

I tend to format the drive and skip such features.
Bob

Collapse -
The more I think about it, the more it sounds like security
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2013 12:15 AM PDT

Too bad the make/model of the drive is not available.

Collapse -
Answer
USB issues
by Willy / April 18, 2013 12:12 AM PDT

Sooner or later you'll bump into some USB issue. If what Robert suggests maybe a security app type failure or use that got hosed, then its some other USB issue. The plain fact, USB tend to not last as a permanent storage. I suggest you try the USB device on another PC and check results. If it works elsewhere retrieve whatever. Once files are gotten then re-use the USB device by formatting, etc.. and return to use.

This problem is probably all due to improper "dismount" of drive -OR- spike surge if left attached and then do a PC power-ON to include just sitting there attached to the PC. It is a weak link as electronics are minor and fall victim to outside forces. Also, if frequent use of the USB device is the norm it may lose the contents as it reshuffles the FAT to attune to contents, NOT the formatted nature of the device but file table. Let's NOT forget that ESD/static is still a problem and can easily do damage to "handled devices".

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I will see if formating will work!!!
by anthonasr / April 18, 2013 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: USB issues

i hope the format will work on it i will try.

but what made me think of a virus or something is that once i pluged my usb memory it showed like this so i said maybe the usb has been infected because i use it on many laptops.

then I plugged another usb and same thing happened.
Then I plugged my external HDD and here's the same action going !!!
that's why i'm wondering !!!

anyway i will try my memories on another pc and try to format them then let you know what happens.

Thank you for your time Blush

Collapse -
Virus scan?
by Willy / April 18, 2013 10:07 AM PDT

Use your AV to scan the USB device. You can usually point to a "removable media" location, depending on what AV you use. Otherwise, it will default to some HD, just point to another storage media aka, USB storage to prove it is/isn't a virus, trojan, etc.. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Nothing worksed at all !!!
by anthonasr / April 19, 2013 7:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Virus scan?

IWhen i first plugged the USB on a different PC, the files were still inside this unnamed file so I copied the the file to another safe pc and i formated the USB and my External HDD, then i plugged them in the same PC and it showed nothing again.

When I re-plugged the usb drives to my pc, same problem showed again.

And i already tried two anti-virus and none of them showed a thing in my pc !!!

Any ideas please!!

Thank you again

Collapse -
Nothing worked at all !!!
by Maya459 / April 19, 2013 8:21 PM PDT

I think there might be virus problem and that might have corrupted your USB.

Collapse -
Answer
USB having virus infection
by dj079 / April 22, 2013 7:55 PM PDT

It is for sure that your USB is having virus infection. Scan it with an antivirus that you might be using. A complete scan will allow you to see the virus infection. And if your antivirus is not able to detect the virus infection then it is time you should change your virus. You can use Norton, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avast or Avira. There are many options available, but these are some of the trust worthy names.

Scan your USB and if the virus is still not detected from your old antivirus program then update your antivirus to check any other infection in future.. and for now you can format your USB to get rid of the virus.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.