PC Hardware forum

General discussion

What is the normal temperature a computer should be at?

by Algo / December 9, 2003 11:53 PM PST

I'm just curious what is the normal or safe temperatures, in celcius, for a computer to be at? What should the BIOS, or maybe a utility, be reading?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the normal temperature a computer should be at?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the normal temperature a computer should be at?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:What is the normal temperature a computer should be at?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2003 12:15 AM PST

"I'm just curious what is the normal or safe temperatures, in celcius, for a computer to be at? What should the BIOS, or maybe a utility, be reading?"

Bear in mind that the common answer is that if you are sitting in the same space as the PC and you are comfortable without fans blowing at you, then a properly made PC will be just fine.

Today, many machines are being bolted together without testing for proper cooling. The numbers you ask for vary widely according to what exact unit you have. No one can answer your question yet.

But when I suspect a heat issue, I remove the case cover, inspect the fans for what I think is full speed, then point a fan at the inside parts to see if the problem vanishes. If it does, then we look for fixes or if need be, new motherboards and other parts.

WHAT?! You exclaim! New motherboard? Yes. Put in these words into http://www.google.com BAD MOTHERBOARD CAPACITORS What I'm seeing is that such boards with bad capacitors don't tolerate heat as well as boards with normal capacitors. It's a shame the industry stumbled so badly on this one.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:What is the normal temperature a computer should be at?
by Algo / December 10, 2003 12:58 AM PST

Well I think in my other posts i've already said most everything that I have in my computer. When I first turn it on it's about 30 degrees celcius. After a few minutes it goes up to 40 or 43 degrees celcius. I only test in the BIOS screen, so it could be more when the OS has loaded and everything. Like I said in another post I still have to get a fan so that I can put the plastic thing on that redirects the air to the processor.

Collapse -
What other post?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2003 1:24 AM PST

When making a new post, you are starting a new "thread." No one will remember much of any history you may have.

In short, many CPU's can go well past 75C, but you didn't take the clues or hints that I dropped about this being something you should include in your post. Sorry if I was just dropping the clues. Let's look at this Tip: you see with every post:

"Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

In the future, think about what information you supply so others can give you some solid responses. Mine will have to remain fuzzy because the actual CPU model was never revealed.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:What other post?
by Algo / December 10, 2003 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: What other post?

Ok. I just assumed you would know what I meant since you've answered about 3 other posts i've had in the last few days in this forum.

The computer model is an hp pavilion 7936.

Collapse -
Fishing lesson then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2003 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: Re:What other post?

Your CPU temperatures can be found by going to the common CPU maker's web sites such as:

http://www.amd.com and http://www.intel.com Manuals and datasheets can be downloaded and read.

This is a skill you should develop as well as using http://www.google.com to search out more about what products you need such technical details.

As to your other posts, those are "other" posts and what's in those posts mean little to this one.

Happy fishing,

Bob

PS. I must be getting too vague still. I asked what CPU you had and you gave me some HP computer system number. I'll try to be less vague with you in the future.

Collapse -
Re:Fishing lesson then.
by Algo / December 10, 2003 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: Fishing lesson then.

Your tip stated that I should give out even more information, so I gave out my computer model number, which on the HP site has alot of stuff about that particular model.

Collapse -
Did you catch your info?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2003 2:18 AM PST

I did ask for what CPU you had, but you handed out the HP model number. From there I would have to look at www.hp.com to find out what CPU you have, then off to www.intel.com or www.amd.com to download a PDF or see if they have a chart with your exact CPU listed.

But I decided it would be too much work for me to do all that. Instead, I gave you the power to go do all that and be more self-supportive. Some will take offense at this, but fishing lessons are much more valuable than handing out fish.

Bob

Collapse -
FAN on high RPM of 4000 RPM = 0
by El Shaddar / April 15, 2010 10:26 AM PDT

WINDOWS XP MEDIA CENTER VERSION 2005 SERVICE PACK 3
INSPIRON 640ME1405
Genuine Intel(R) CPU
T2050 @ 1.60 GHz
798 MHz 1.99 GB of RAM

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.