Cameras forum

General discussion

What is the min. size for 4x6 print?

by ksteil / September 19, 2006 11:48 AM PDT

I ordered a few 4x6 prints of images that I had cropped a bit. I was disappointed with the results, because the prints were cropped further by the processing lab.
I would like to avoid this in the future. How can I assure that the prints will come back the way I intended? Are the dimensions important, or the file size, or do I need to stay within a particular ratio?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the min. size for 4x6 print?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the min. size for 4x6 print?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The actual pixel density (ppi) doesn't seem to be a factor.
by Kiddpeat / September 19, 2006 1:04 PM PDT

150 or more ppi should produce good results.

The photos do have to be cropped to a 3:2 ratio (i.e. 6x4) if they are not already in that ratio. Once you have the 3:2 ratio, there are at least three approaches:

1. Ask for borders. This will insure that no further cropping is done.

2. Resize the image to at least 1/8 inch smaller than 4x6. This means that one dimension will be more than 1/8 inch smaller. Add white area to the image to get it back to a 4x6 size. You can then ask for borderless, and, in my tests, very little of the image will be lost.

3. Find out the exact number of pixels that Costco uses for its 4x6 prints. Size the image to that exact pixel count. Have Costco make the prints, and tell them what you have done. You don't want their equipment to resize the photo. Costco does this. I don't know if anyone else does.

Collapse -
Try Picassa
by jmelgar / September 20, 2006 4:50 AM PDT

Using Picassa (free software from Google) You can crop you photos (6x4 ratio option) in a easy way. Later, you can export, resizing the image at 1024 pixeles. The minimun size I suggest for good 6x4 prints is 1200 x 1600.

Collapse -
4x6 image size
by ksteil / September 20, 2006 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Try Picassa

thank you both for your prompt answers to my dilemma.
I'll try this out as soon as I can - it looks as though I should be able to handle this now.
I have an account with Snapfish and had ordered prints out of an album I had created on their site.

Again, thanks - Karin

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.