Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

What is the difference between Wallpaper and Screensavers?

by Bron / January 6, 2005 4:40 AM PST

Hi,
I'm new to Wallpapers and Screensavers can you tell me what the difference is please?

I want to put a favorite film star on my desktop ( i think i'm correct in saying as a screensaver )the photo is from an official website, i hope it is safe to download it to my desktop?

Thank you,
Bron

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the difference between Wallpaper and Screensavers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the difference between Wallpaper and Screensavers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
difference
by glb613 / January 6, 2005 5:12 AM PST

Wallpaper is the picture or background you see when you start your computer.

A screen saver runs when your computer is idle. The length of time your computer needs to be idle before the screen saver starts is determined by the user.

Both can be found through the control panel then display. Or you can right click on an empty spot on your desktop and select properties.

Collapse -
Bron
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 6, 2005 5:12 AM PST

...are pictures that displayed on your desktop when you first start the computer. They can be a variety of different types of pictures but are frequently .bmp or .jpg files. You can even set you wallpaper/background as "None" if you choose. Depending on the default picture viewer on your computer, you can "Set as Wallpaper" pictures from the internet by simply RIGHT clicking on the picture, choose "Set As Wallpaper" or "Set As Background". These pictures remain on your desktop constantly and are beneath the various icons on the desktop.

Screensavers are small programs which activate depending on their settings in the Control Panel\Display\Screensaver tab. They can be a variety of things, such as animations, pictures, slide shows, etc. In order to create a screensaver, you can save the programs from various sites on the net, or, you'll need to have a Screensaver "creation" program.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you glb and Griff
by Bron / January 6, 2005 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: Bron

Thank you both, i think its Wallpaper that i want not screensaver.

I'm nervous doing something new so keep your fingers crossed Happy

Bron

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ok, Crossing Fingers...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 6, 2005 5:24 AM PST
Collapse -
Keep those fingers crossed Griff.
by Bron / January 6, 2005 5:42 AM PST

Ok here we go:)

Wallpaper is on desktop but its a bit blured, what did i do wrong?

I right clicked mouse on the photo and select wallpaper, is that correct?

Bron

Collapse -
resolution?
by glb613 / January 6, 2005 6:00 AM PST

It could be the size of the photo and the quality. Is it a picture you took with a digital camera? One you scanned? Downloaded off the internet? I have found that not every picture I've taken or tried to use makes good wallpaper. Sometimes it is as simple as the photo needs to be resized. Other times, it just won't work. More information will help.

Collapse -
Irfanview
by glb613 / January 6, 2005 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: resolution?

A really good free photo viewer/editing program is Irfanview. It also has an option to resize and set a photo as wallpaper. I think it does a better job than Windows.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Collapse -
More info glb.
by Bron / January 6, 2005 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: resolution?

The actual photo is a wallpaper from the official Marilyn Monroe website, the first photo that i clicked for wallpaper is perfect on the desktop the second one that i preferred is blured, hope this helps.

If i want to take it off the desktop what do i do? in case it will cause problems.

Bron

Collapse -
Just right click on the desktop
by roddy32 / January 6, 2005 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: More info glb.

and choose properties and then the desktop tab and you can change it any time you want. Make sure you read the rest of glb's posts about the color, etc. and Irfanview.

Collapse -
Bron
by roddy32 / January 6, 2005 6:06 AM PST

mentioned yet, you have to be very careful with any wallpaper or screensavers that you download from the net, just as you are now about smileys. ALWAYS read the fine print because many, but not all of them contain adware or spyware with them particulary movie star ones. This may be a repeat, I didn't read the other posts. Have fun and good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks Roddy you've set me thinking.
by Bron / January 6, 2005 6:21 AM PST
In reply to: Bron

Roddy, even though the wallpaper is from The official website is there a chance that it is not safe, how will i know?

Bron

Collapse -
That would depend on the
by roddy32 / January 6, 2005 6:48 AM PST

web site. I'm not trying to scare you, I just want you to be careful and ALWAYS read the fine print when downloading anything and if you are not sure, don't be afraid to ask.

Collapse -
Thank you roddy.
by Bron / January 6, 2005 7:12 AM PST

Roddy, the website is Marilyn Monroe.com, as i've told glb i went there a few minutes ago to check their privacy policy but dont understand it. I will run AdAware now before i shut down to be on the safe side.

Appreciate all the help, thank you for always being here when needed.

Bron

Collapse -
They appear legit but who knows. LOL
by roddy32 / January 6, 2005 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you roddy.

They are probably fine. I read their privacy policy too and it isn't very detailed but i did some quick googling and didn't see any complaints. Your idea to run Ad-Aware is a good idea though just to be on the safe side. Grin

Collapse -
you can't always tell
by glb613 / January 6, 2005 6:48 AM PST

Safe downloads from ones that contain spyware, viruses, etc. Have your antivirus up to date and running.

Like I posted earlier, some photos just don't work well. Try resizing the one that is blurry and see if it works better. If not, try to find a different copy.

Collapse -
All security is up to date glb
by Bron / January 6, 2005 7:04 AM PST
In reply to: you can't always tell

Yes i have AVG updated also Ad-Aware Spybot etc etc.

I was successful with the wallpaper, it looks fine. I've just been to the website to read their privacy policy, to be honest i don't understand it but it says they don't use cookies, all i know is that it is the official website. If it is best that i get rid of the wallpaper i won't be disapointed even though i am a big fan of Marilyn and NO i am not her age:):):)

Many thanks for your help with this i appreciate it.

Brona:)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) enjoy
by glb613 / January 6, 2005 7:21 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.