Computer Help forum

General discussion

what is the difference between reboot and restart?

by GeorgeCant2010 / August 5, 2010 9:49 AM PDT

I use Vista and the options are
"restart"
"shutdown"

so which one of those would suffice for "reboot"?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what is the difference between reboot and restart?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what is the difference between reboot and restart?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Restart
by dolittle / August 5, 2010 9:52 AM PDT

restart. reboot = the same

Collapse -
restart and reboot
by jw1ls5n0129 / August 7, 2010 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Restart

if you download a program it could come up with after you may have to restart your computer and you just click the start and then the restart , if your mouse stops or the like then you reboot by the machine by pressing the button and wait till it restarts . that's how I would say . cheers.

Collapse -
IMHO...
by Willy / August 5, 2010 9:53 AM PDT

Restart is a reboot. You can shutdown then do a cold start/boot, meaning apply power-ON.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
so....
by GeorgeCant2010 / August 5, 2010 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: IMHO...

which is best to do after installing or uninstalling a program?
just hit restart?
Or shutdown the PC. Wait a minute, then turn it back on?
Or does it not matter which way you do it?

I know when I install Windows update, after they install I'm prompted to hot the restart button

Collapse -
(NT) Yep, Just Hit Restart IF Asked To Do So
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: so....
Collapse -
thanks Grif
by GeorgeCant2010 / August 5, 2010 10:10 AM PDT

That works for the windows updates.
But what should one do if say they installed or uninstalled a program?
Shutdown and then turn back on? Or just hit restart?
Or are they basically the same thing if you shutdown and then turn back on after a minute?

Collapse -
I mean
by GeorgeCant2010 / August 5, 2010 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks Grif

IF I installed a program or uninstalled a program. Should I hit restart? Or shutdown and then wait a minute and then turn the PC back on? Or is it the samething essentially?

Collapse -
I'll Say It Again...Just Hit Restart IF Asked To Do So
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I mean

Although the resetting of files and registry is much the same whether a restart or a full shut down is performed, they are not the same thing as a shut down actually turns power off to items like the hard drive, etc. A restart allows the power to remain on and is a little less tramatic to the power supply and other running parts.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
yes it does
by GeorgeCant2010 / August 5, 2010 10:46 AM PDT

still not clear on one part though.

When installing or uninstalling a program (like lets say adding or deleting a game or say adobe flash player), does one need to restart the PC after the program finishes installing or uninstalling?
and if yes, should one hit restart? Or totally shut down and then power back up?
I mean this for instances when NOT prompted to restart

Collapse -
I'll Say It too...Just Hit Restart IF Asked To Do So
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: yes it does

If some item asks for a restart, do that.

I guess you could power down if you wanted but why not do what it asked?

Collapse -
(NT) I have heard you should
by GeorgeCant2010 / August 5, 2010 11:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
mean heard you should ...
by GeorgeCant2010 / August 5, 2010 12:45 PM PDT

restart even if the program doesn't ask you to

Collapse -
Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 10:09 PM PDT

Many find the extra time annoying. Your choice here.

Collapse -
Reboot and Restart
by christy / August 5, 2010 9:51 PM PDT

It seems that "Reboot" involves a complete power shutdown... whereas "Restart" does not. Sometimes, when you install a program [Windows update ] or make changes to the system [system restore, or make changes to display properties], the OS restarts itself, or it asks you whether you want to,or not... but you do not need to push the start button. Id this a reboot or a restart ? Is there a difference whether the computer completely powers down, or not ?

christy

Collapse -
Here is the definitive answer . . .
by Coryphaeus / August 5, 2010 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Reboot and Restart

Installing, uninstalling, Windows updates, etc., make changes to the registry. After the above procedures have been done, Windows wants the PC to run with the new registry entries. Since a restart, reboot, power off/on all make the PC clear chaches, clear RAM, and force a new registry read, the choice is yours.

Make sense?

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks
by GeorgeCant2010 / August 14, 2010 10:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Reboot & Restart
by Rich D. / August 6, 2010 10:43 AM PDT

christy, You are correct. The post that said they are both the same is wrong. Re Start will shut down your pc but not kill all the power. A Re Boot will shut the pc down, power and all. Usually a Re Boot has to be started mnually. Hope this answers your question.

Collapse -
Now that I have totally confused the issue..
by GeorgeCant2010 / August 9, 2010 11:25 AM PDT

sorry all. I was just trying to find out if it is good practice to always click restart afte installing/uninstalling a program, even if not prompted to do so.

What I seem to be finding out is that it is not necessary to "restart" if not prompted to. But that some suggest doing it anyway

So I guess its just personal preference on "restart" or not (unless specifiaclly prompted to do so)

Collapse -
Re-boot = restart.
by andygawg / August 7, 2010 1:34 AM PDT

As other posters have mentioned re-start and reboot are the same.

However, in the pre-vista/w7 days, I read that during a complete shut down the OS performs a view extra "housecleaning" tasks. This is not required for udates/adding/deleting progams as a reboot or re-start are designed for those tasks, and will often fix minor bugs etc. too.

Admittedly, this is something I last checked up on over a decade ago, so I am ready to stand corrected!

Collapse -
Difference of HOT and COLD BOOT
by mjd420nova / August 7, 2010 2:18 AM PDT

That's the term used to completely reset everything and if your desk top has a switch on the power supply and not the front panel. Turning the switch or unplugging from the wall outlet/power strip, a shut down that removed the AC from the source is a cold boot. Often power outages create these faults and it doesn't get time to close any files, stop any processes or do an orderly shutdown. This resets the power supply and all devices or power going to the cards or motherboard, drives and even fans. Once power is restored, the power supply should not start but soft touch or front panel push buttons will activate the start process as a portion of the P/S was supplying a 5 volt logic to use the low voltage switches common throught most desktop case regardless of manufacturer. Then the rest of the power supply turns on and the unit starts. A RESTART can just be a WARM BOOT and reset the logic to restart. A general rule is that if the software installation completes with a request or offering a restart to do so. Otherwise it wouldn't be necessary until convienient. If I see that it loads some drivers for certain hardware, I will elect to cold boot and be sure there are no incompatablity issues with other programs or hardware.

Collapse -
Restart -Quicker-Less ware & tear.
by Bernard1937 / August 14, 2010 9:11 AM PDT

The main reason for the RESTART function is to make your hard drive (and a few other parts) last longer and the real main reason it's quicker. The hard drive is spinning. If you choose SHUTDOWN, all electricity is turned off to all hardware items. The hard drive shuts down, stops spinning, and goes into park mode. The hard drive will now have to go through a self test/reset before it starts up again. Other hardware items may have to do a self test/reset also. If you choose RESTART the electricity is never turned off, the hard drive does not stop spinning or go into park mode. In both RESTART and SHUTDOWN, the software OS should complete an orderly "software OS shutdown". There may be times when you want to do a SHUTDOWN instead of a RESTART because some hardware part is not acting correctly. In most cases a REBOOT is referring to a "software OS restart", but sometimes it's used to mean either a Soft or Hard boot.
RESTART = Software OS Shutdown and Software OS Startup (Power is already ON) (Soft/Warm Boot)
SHUTDOWN = Software OS Shutdown and Power Turned Off (Hard/Cold Boot)
START = Power Turned On and Software OS Startup
(OS=Operating System such as Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Unix)

Collapse -
what is the difference between reboot and restart?
by andybaber2000 / August 14, 2010 9:35 AM PDT

Simply put, a restart is a reboot. When you restart, the computer shuts down almost everything as you can tell when you see the POST test just before the Windows Logo. Personally unless I am shutting down for an extended period of time I just restart. My reason for that is it is less stress on the hard drive and power supply. I know hard drives are cheap now, but, if you ever had one fail for no reason and lose all your data why take the chance. Just my opinion. Wink

Collapse -
Cool, thanks all
by GeorgeCant2010 / August 14, 2010 10:19 AM PDT

Thanks to everyone.
This whole issue came up for me in regards to if one needs to always restart after installing or uninstalling software, regardless if the software says to do so.
Sounds like generally, just hitting the restart options is what is needed.
I know when windows updates get installed, the prompt is to "restart" and it seems when I hit that, it doesn't completely shutdown, but just restarts. So I guess if that is what they do via the prompt, then that should suffice
What I found from that is that half the people say you should restart after installing/uninstalling software, and half the peopel say you do not need to unless directed. So I'm still stuck on that one

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.