TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What is the best way to connect speakers?

by Esw88 / February 10, 2008 3:23 AM PST

I have an ONKYO 605 and Polk Speakers.

The speakers have spring clips.

What is the best way to connect the speaker wire to the 605 and to the individual speakers?

I am referring to the type of "connectors", if any, or just bare wire.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best way to connect speakers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best way to connect speakers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
nothing beats bare wire
by jostenmeat / February 10, 2008 5:16 AM PST

just twist the strands first. Every once in a while, if you please, strip new bare wire. Like twice a year maybe.

Collapse -
Unless you are heavier into sound than it seems like, just
by NM_Bill / February 10, 2008 7:19 AM PST

some inexpensive braided speaker wire from Home Depot or where ever, will do just fine. Any nicely positive attachment method is fine. Do just twist the bare wires. That should do it for you repectably. If you are nervous to spend more money, I won't stand in your way. But I sincerely feel you won't need to.

If some day comeds when you get several thousand bucks of speakers, then go ahead buy those nice bulky banana clips.

Collapse -
Me,Myself and I
by dinox64 / February 10, 2008 10:57 AM PST

Bought a enough wall plates for behind the cabinet for 5.1. And speaker wire off ebay to run inwall to them. Bare wire connections inwall. Between those and my AVR I made my own jumpers using banana plugs connecting them. I also did the same where it came out of the wall for my sub. The connections on the back of my reciever seemed really close and I was afraid they may touch each other and ground. Plus too it was a lot of fun making and building my setup. Everything bought off of Ebay. Can I hear a difference? Probably not with my ears. Especially now that I have tinnitus in my left ear.

Collapse -
dinox64, don't take this as medical advice, but I used to be
by NM_Bill / February 10, 2008 12:03 PM PST
In reply to: Me,Myself and I

bothered by tinnitus. I can not guarantee any ONE solution, but here are a few simple ideas: Make sure ear wax build up is not a cause. Also, make sure you do NOT cause impaction with Q-tip swabs.

Life changes along the way for me included: Taking reasonaly priced supplements as simple a good multi-vitamin that includes zinc, B12 & niacin.

I also have a lot of years of taking blood pressure prescription. And, also with me, I now take Gabapentin (Neurontin.)

Also, after all too many years, got completely off nicotine. (Avoiding nicotine is specifically mentioned.)

Just thought I'd mention these rather simple things.

As to things like banana plugs, I did get thme for the first time when getting my long time dreamed for expensive speakers. I too, feel they are not likely to make you hear a difference. The plugs do seem hefty & appear to be a length extender where they see oh so close a jumble at the rear of the receiver.

Collapse -
how long have you tinnitus, and how bad is it?
by jostenmeat / February 10, 2008 2:25 PM PST
In reply to: Me,Myself and I

I might recommend custom molded "musician" earplugs. Something like $60-100. Price is not the factor, its the person making the mold. These will/should have these tiny, tiny removable pieces... so that you can adjust how much db protection you want. Swappable. They offer flatter EQ, but not totally flat, though way better than the typical kind. I never bought them, though Ive always wanted a pair, but for the affordable ones I see in store, I prefer the orange Leights. IIRC.

I have no idea if it makes any difference, but when I have a bit of ringing in either ear, my natural instinct is to plug my ear pretty firmly till it goes away. Im sure it does absolutely nothing, but I always do this for some reason.

Drive with the windows up. Plug your ears when nearby jackhammers and ambulances. Won't hurt in slowing down the whole aging process I guess.

Collapse -
by dinox64 / February 11, 2008 11:08 AM PST

For a while, I have no idea. It's in my left ear. I use to think it came and went but I guess I ignore it mostly. I use to walk around the house trying to decipher which electrical appliance was giving off the high pitch squeel and would never find it. That's when I realized it's in my head. I've read some on it and it seems they attribute it to a lot of things audibley but aslo to things like caffiene and stress. So go figure. I was a telephone man for many years,lineman now for past 8 years. Having a handset to my ear and always having a speaker smashed against my head probably didn't help. Funny thing is I do well on hearing tests. Might just be the test tones are at different frequency than the ringing. I am one of few guys now that wears ear protection when working.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.