Mac Applications forum

General discussion

What is the best way to back up iPhoto?

by grimgraphix / December 1, 2006 6:37 AM PST

keep in mind I'm talking about using an external dvd burner hooked up to my iBook.

I have Toaster 6 Lite along with Popcorn on my G4 1.2 ghz iBook running OS 10.4.8 and have the iLife 05 package.

Do I drag and drop using the burning utilities or does iPhoto have a back up feature that I have missed reading about.

As always... thanks for any help. Happy

grim

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best way to back up iPhoto?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best way to back up iPhoto?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How about using Backup
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 1, 2006 7:06 AM PST

You can get it with a .Mac account.
Go for the free trial period and you get to keep Backup even if you do not renew.

Or,

Just drag the iPhoto library from your Pictures folder and drop it onto a DVD

P

Collapse -
Thanks Peter
by grimgraphix / December 2, 2006 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: How about using Backup

In the past I have dragged parts of the iPhoto library onto CD-Rs for back up purposes. I was just not sure if that was the approved way of doing things or if there was a method built into the program that I was unaware of. Now that I have the DVD burner, I am re-burning pics by complete year for convenience sake... getting rid of the 3 and 4 CR-Ds that were previously required (on average - I have about 2 1/2 thousand pics per year to archive for family and friends).

thanks again!

grim

Collapse -
Two methods
by dazlug / December 5, 2006 4:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks dazlug
by grimgraphix / December 6, 2006 11:26 AM PST
In reply to: Two methods

nice link... very informative.

grim

Collapse -
RAID 1 will make if safer
by outaru / August 25, 2008 2:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
24x7digital PhotoCopy
by 24x7digital / December 30, 2008 3:24 AM PST
Collapse -
Time Machine?
by rd55127 / January 16, 2009 1:19 PM PST

I have an external HD thru my AirPort Extreme Base Station that uses Time Machine to do the backups. This will provide you with a "dynamic" library that will create hourly backups. If you use DVD's or CD's you will have to run frequent backups to ensure recent photos are backed up. Leopard has Time Machine built in so might as well use it and not worry about having to schedule manual backups.

Collapse -
Time Machine w/o Time Capsule
by kaitlynkiwi / May 16, 2010 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Time Machine?

Can you use Time Machine for an external HD that isn't made by Apple?

Collapse -
Certainly you can
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 1:38 AM PDT

Time Machine is completely agnostic when it comes to the hardware it uses.

I use Seagate, Western Digital and Maxtor external drives with Time Machine

P

Collapse -
not elegant but . . .
by wespj--2008 / January 16, 2009 3:28 PM PST

The quick and easy way I backup is simply by copying the whole of my "Pictures" folder to an external hard drive. It might not be the most automated system but it is simple and effective.

Collapse -
What I am doing
by RSkelhorn / September 26, 2010 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: not elegant but . . .

I have been a user of Iphoto for quite a while now. The main issue I have had, is the fact that I take a lot of pictures on my DSLR Nikon D80, so, most of my pics are around 6megs or so in Jpeg, larger if I take RAW shots, and obviously the problem increases if I store JPEGS and RAW shots in iPhoto.

I'm no professional photographer, just a father with a camera, and a lot of pictures Wink

So anyway, my iphoto library grew to 36Gigs. I had been using Mobile Me to backup my iphoto library. This is very easy.

If you go to your Pictures folder, you will see the iPhoto library. If you back this entire file up, and if your computer dies.. you can replace your backed up file with the one that will be installed when you have your fresh iphoto installed. When you replace the old file and then open iPhoto wha bam it is just like old times.. and it keeps all of your albums, events and such.. if you just copy your photos out you will spend the next few days working on your events.

Since my iphoto library is so large, uploading 36 gigs once a month~ish was silly, and burning this large of a file is also silly...

I converted to Aperture. Aperture 3 is just like iPhoto with some nice additions... Folders. I created 4 folders. 2006 photos, 2007-2008, 2009, 2010. I can then add "projects" which for all intensive purposes are "events" in these folders. You can export folders! So, I exported the 2006 folder in a smaller format picture (high enough for printing but small enough for storage) There is a setting to preserve the folders and subfolders in their names, so when you import again, it will keep your organized "projects".

After exporting these 4 chunks, I compressed them, it seemed to decrease the file size by 20%. Now my entire backup is in 4 chunks. Now, I just upload the 2010 folder once a month~ish, because I can split this with Aperture. My compressed library with conversion is around 4 gigs.

I like iPhoto, but Aperture if you can afford it is really the way to go, especially if you take a lot of photos. If your iphoto library is under 10gigs and you are on broadband or have a 16gig thumbdrive, just move your iphoto library over and you are set.. if you are me (30gig+ library), get Aperture.

(If some info here seems redundant, I am more posting it for google searchers. I had spend many evenings searching the best way to back up my photos, hopefully this info will help someone)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.