Tablets forum

Question

What is the best tablet for business related work?

by ammosman / July 24, 2011 5:13 AM PDT

Hi all,
I work in a production facility and a majority of my day is spent away from my desk either in meetings or out on the production floor. While I am on the floor I get a lot of questions I am not able to answer because I cannot access my email (Microsoft Outlook), sharepoint sites, SAP etc. This causes me to have to take notes, walk back to my desk and then follow up with the person later on. This creates a lot of wasted time in my day.

I also use SAP heavily. I was wondering if there are any tablets that are capable of doing a remote desktop back to my office where I could then use SAP on the floor. If I was able to do a remote desktop it would probably be the best for me so I could keep all files on one computer and only use the tablet to link to my office while on the floor. I would assume a tablet could not support having its own SAP program therefore I am pursuing the remote desktop.

So my question is there a tablet capable of remote desktop connection which is reliable and able to use SAP through the connection? I would assume most any tablet could connect to sharepoint sites or Microsoft Outlook so my biggest question is being able to use SAP. I also have a laptop but it does not work well on the floor because I usually do not have a place to set it down to work. This is why I am pursuing the use of a tablet.

Thanks for your help!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best tablet for business related work?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best tablet for business related work?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Why not a tablet PC?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 5:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
What is the best tablet for business related work?
by marine159 / August 15, 2011 11:32 AM PDT

You could also try the ASUS EP-121 which is a Windows 7 tablet. I have one that I use both for home and work which provides more versatility and flexibility. Only disadvantages are its weight of 2.6lbs, battery life of 3.0 - 3.5 hours and of course the price of 1199.00 for the 64gb version which I recommend. I comes with a leather cover, and Bluetooth keyboard with pen for writing.

Collapse -
Answer
best tablet for remote desk top
by jimboleo / August 11, 2012 9:53 AM PDT

I saw this post and thought I'd answer even though I am a year late. I have been using "jumpdesk" app on my ipad, my iphone and my acer mini to get work done on the fly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.