Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

What is the best speech recognition software out there?

by mirzahat / May 31, 2007 8:41 PM PDT

Hi,
What is the best speech recognition software out there?

Regards,
Mirza

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best speech recognition software out there?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best speech recognition software out there?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Even the best is so-so. Try..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2007 1:30 AM PDT

Get the package that comes with a microphone. That's a key element for the best performance.

Titles? ViaVoice and Dragon Dictate.

Bob

Collapse -
?
by mirzahat / June 1, 2007 1:50 AM PDT

is this really the case that the mic is so cruical?

Collapse -
Yes, it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2007 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: ?

I decline to open a debate about this given the fine articles out there.

Bob

Collapse -
Little information
by PudgyOne / June 1, 2007 5:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
E-Speaking
by Shiselster / June 8, 2007 2:45 PM PDT

try e-speaking at google. great software

Collapse -
My experience with speech recognition software...
by StevenOracle / June 8, 2007 9:11 PM PDT

Over the last four years I have experimented with SR packages for: (1) Voice to text (V2T)dictation generating short documents such as emails and letters, (2) voice control (VC) of applications, (3) V2T dictation of longer documents, (4) V2T generation of technical documents involving mathematical symbols, equations, and blocks of equations. I have to say that the results were disapointing, until recently. Previously, VR features were just cute and geeky but of no long term usefulness. But, I kept trying, and now for applications 1 and 2, and sometimes 3 the latest generation of SR is a useful working tool for my content creation needs. Specifically, Windows Vista has a powerful SR capability, and for XP I have gotten good results with Dragon and e-naturally speaking. Good results require committment to do all of the training, and ... careful proofing. More on 4 later...

Collapse -
dragon naturally speaking
by maggiedev / June 9, 2007 3:49 AM PDT

my daughters laptop is set up with dragon naturally speaking, the newest version. she is a total quadriplegic so cannot use a computer in the traditional sense of the word. every bit of research i did trying to find compatible software for her boiled down to dragon naturally speaking. you don't have to train it to recognize your voice anymore as in older versions. it is a life saver and helps create normal things in her changed life. if it works for her, it would work for anyone. i highly recommend it. in all fairness, i am not familiar with any other program.

Collapse -
software for speech recognition
by duineog / June 10, 2007 12:19 AM PDT

I have been using Dragon software for a number of years now and I find its latest Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 to be absolutely brilliant. I very rarely have to make any corrections to my dictated script and even when it is necessary it is done very easily. I watched the video from youtube and it must have been about five years old. NaturallySpeaking 9 works brilliantly for me both in dictation and in control of the mouse. It is necessary to decide what you were going to say before you start speaking. If you mumble then the computer will you get confused.

I would be lost without it.

Collapse -
voice recognition
by justusgod / June 12, 2007 5:18 AM PDT

that would be your gf

Collapse -
voice recognition
by duineog / June 14, 2007 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: voice recognition

I do not understand the last posting. " That is your gf"

Collapse -
Dragon Isn't worth the price.
by warmlight / December 10, 2007 11:32 AM PST

Hello Mizat,

and sorry about your daughter's situation. I have had two versions of Dragon; Dragon 9. "preferred" my current. In all honesty, I can't bring myself to ever recommend this program. Unless you want to add to your daughter's frustration, please reconsider. Although you do have 30 days to return it. Also, you only receive one free tech support call, then after that NUANCE, the company that owns the rights, charged $19.95 per incident for phone calls and/or $9.95 for tech support via e-mail. Some bargain, huh?

Collapse -
Another piece...
by demum / April 6, 2008 8:25 PM PDT

For Windows Mobile devices you can try www.personal-secretary.com
This is voice operated organizer. And yes, the performance depends on the quality of built-in microphone.

Collapse -
Wave To Text - powerful English speech recognition software
by tlachta / July 22, 2009 7:59 PM PDT

A useful English speech recognition software 'Wave To Text v5.2'. Help you convert your voice to text in real-time, while the program's wizard enables you to convert your Windows Audio WAV files (speech recorded) offline.

http://www.111download.com/product/wave-to-text-v.html

Collapse -
Dragon
by The_Architype / July 15, 2011 10:25 PM PDT

Everyone will have their own opinion, as of 2011 I would say that Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 is leading the competition of voice recognition.

www.dragonrecognition.com

Collapse -
Dragon Naturally Speaking
by complexity0 / July 26, 2011 2:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Dragon

I tried the windows one that is built into Vista/Xp, it's no good. I'd say dragon naturally speaking is the best one as well.

Collapse -
Dragon
by SentinelPrime / July 26, 2011 2:33 PM PDT

Hey I just bought a copy off that site, a friend of mine had given me the link after he demonstrated how it worked on his desktop. It definitely got me hyped so I just had to get one too Laugh

Collapse -
hey
by complexity0 / July 29, 2011 3:06 AM PDT

I've installed it on a few peoples computers and it's definitely great.

You should write a quick little review here after you play with it for a while.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.