Phones

Question

What is the best smartphone for me?

by arddi2007 / February 27, 2012 6:23 AM PST

I am a huge fan of smartphones and so far I've been using Nokia E71, which is not that satisfying for me.

What I am looking for is a touch screen phone that meets the following or approximate specifications:

A screen of at least 3.5 inches, preferably more.
Runs Android (2.3 and up) but open to other OSes as well.
Has at least a 1 Ghz processor. (or less if it performs well)
Is unlocked and works with any international GSM (may even be a rooted phone and not factory unlocked, it's fine with me)
Has at least a 5 MP camera.
Has a good looking interface.
Costs about, preferably less than $300.

I know, $300 is too little for those specifications but I've done way too much resource these days and so far I've narrowed down my choice to Samsung Galaxy S Captivate i897. It's almost perfect for me, I was about to purchase it but its not-that-fabulous interface kept me from doing so.

I hope that I am not asking for much, I am willing to buy a new, never used phone on eBay, as long as it's from a trusted seller (because I have a US shipping address).

The reason why I don't want to spend more than $300 is because, as protective as I am for my possessions, it may sometimes be hard to take care of not scratching the phone and so, therefore technologies such as Gorilla Glass are a big plus for me.

I am not looking to buy a phone for my business (I am a student in high school) but as long as it has plenty of great apps, I'm fine with it.

Is there anything you can recommend to me? Thank you very much for your time!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best smartphone for me?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best smartphone for me?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I was a little confused about that interface.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2012 8:55 AM PST

I've used a few too many Android units and what interface are you writing about? That is, when I start with my Android phone I start by deleting everything on the home screen and then adding what I use. The interface belongs to us?
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Don't buy a used rooted phone
by Pepe7 / February 27, 2012 9:54 AM PST

That's merely setting you up for a disaster. Buy something unlocked or locked but new. You should be the person who roots the device and adds modifications of your choice. Buy from a trusted retailer whenever possible. Ebay is still shady IMO and E for phones. Amazon link to the handset you mentioned-
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Captivate-Android-smartphone-Unlocked/dp/B004B9QNJS

If $300 is your top end, I'd say the Captivate could suffice, although to be frank it's a 2 yr old model. The S2 is a much better piece of hardware, albeit very pricey. You may want to flash it to a more customized ROM since in general the earlier Sammy handsets running 2.1 or 2.2 were nothing stellar and were plagued with bugs/issues. YMMV. To me at least one of the more challenging aspects of working with Android is how different it can behave on different handsets. Frustrating at the same time perhaps.

As Bob suggested, you work with Android and you can customize the crap out of it. This is honestly more your generation's forte than mine ;).

The Android marketplace has something for everyone. You'll find plenty of great stuff there, much of it for free too.

I'm not quite sure why you aren't going for a simple handset upgrade. Are you with a U.S. carrier now? Might be a better way to obtain a much newer and snapper dual core, Android powered handset for less $$ (Think, Samsung Galaxy S2, etc.).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.