Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

What is the best overall small business web hosting?

by DooleyTyler / January 21, 2013 5:58 AM PST

Obviously this is like opening a can of worms as there are so many host with the features being to vast to compare...
As you read reviews you see how uncontent users are with just about every host.
Things i am looking for are:
*Quick uptime (i will activley be uploading new products)
*Web Design tools
*Email capability
*social media integration
*Overall functionality.
Any help greatly appriciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best overall small business web hosting?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best overall small business web hosting?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: What is the best overall small business web hosting?
by Sovereign Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 11:22 PM PST

> There are so many host with the features being to vast to compare

While hosts love to advertise features and whatnot, there's really only a handful of things that matter:

- Up-time: the availability of your website in a given year e.g. 99%.
- Response time: how quickly the site responds to requests e.g. 112ms.
- Backups: how often the host backs up your server and backup retention e.g. 1/day; 30 days.
- Support: how and when can your host be reached for support e.g. 24/7 via phone and email.
- Hardware specs: how much disk space and bandwidth you get e.g. 15GB/1TB.
- Software specs: what kind of control panel do you get e.g. cPanel.

> As you read reviews you see how uncontent users are with just about every host.

Unless you're paying a good amount for hosting ($50/mo) that isn't on a shared server (VPS/dedicated) or receive above and beyond incredible support, users usually don't take the time to write positive reviews. They only think of writing something when things go wrong. In some cases this resulted in poor handling of the initial complaint by the host, but in some cases users just want to rant. This is why you can always dig up negative reviews.

> Things i am looking for are

Quick uptime: For a small business website, up-time and response time are important.

Web Design tools: For a small business website that you expect to grow, I would advise against using such tools. You'd be much better off starting with something like WordPress or Drupal, depending on your requirements.

Email capability: Most hosts today offer the ability to setup email accounts.

Social media integration: that really has not much to do with the host, but rather how you build your website.

Overall functionality: that's pretty generic.

Lastly, there are several threads here on this forum that discuss a similar situation. Please take a look at the following posts and let us know if you have any more follow-up questions:

- Low cost hosting that offers support for multiple domains
- Which Web Hosting Site?

Collapse -
Has anyone tried "Webs" web design and/or hosting services?
by rfsmith71 / January 22, 2013 2:44 AM PST

This just seemed like the right discussion to throw this question out there. I'm exploring it as a result of my positive experiences with VistaPrint (Webs is a web hosting service owned(?) by VistaPrint). I've worked with Joomla! and PHP, but I'm looking for a quick solution as well. Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: Has anyone tried "Webs" web design and/or hosting servic
by Sovereign Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 9:33 AM PST

Just a couple things on companies like Web.

1. What Webs is offering is a service, not hosting. That means you create your website in their environment and it will most likely be very difficult to move, as you're creating your website with proprietary software and there's no easy way to really transfer that content. Keep that in mind.

2. Web employs a freemium model. That means they give it to you for free, but it contains advertising and you get very little features in return. As your website grows, you can add things for a small fee, but those things will add up. By the time you have all the basics, you'd be paying the price of a regular host, but you're still limited to their software.

That said, Webs might be fine for your requirements. Considering you had a positive experience with Vista Prnt and Webs is initially free, and even after that has a 30-day money back guarantee, you might as well try it if points #1 and #2 are not a concern.

Collapse -
Reliable Hosting services
by qrngoi / January 31, 2013 4:18 PM PST

There might be many hosting services out there, among the few I have tried are Bluehost, Hostwinds, Godaddy and others. However, I'm most happy with HostWinds..... why?

Just to share with all of you who are in search of a reliable and good support hosting company. I have been using HostWinds for approximately 3 months already and I'm very pleased on the support they gave me from the start until present.
I still remember I was rather non-technical savvy in hosting or IT related subject; whenever I require any technical advice, they are able to reply promptly. I still can recall that they have a setup/install service to help me get the hosting up and running! It only cost $10 but it helped me save all the trouble and time in setting it up. Otherwise, for those who are not IT savvy like me, you may also checkout their knowledgebase page under support on articles guiding you every steps on how to use the features. Very helpful!
Best of all, they have 3 amazing Guarantees aimed to hold us to higher standards of providing the best hosting possible for every client. Their 3 guarantees are as follows:
1. 60 Days Money Back Guarantee.
2. 99.9% Uptime.
3. 100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove promotional url on 02/02/2013 at 8:48 AM PT

Collapse -
charging for support?
by rerourke / April 7, 2013 1:44 AM PDT

Most web hosts i have checked out don't charge ten bucks for support - particularly in setting it up..This post actually sounds like it was written by a worker for the web host ( HostWinds) ...most customers don't say:

"they have 3 amazing Guarantees aimed to hold us to higher standards of providing the best hosting possible for every client. "...
Sounds like an owner of the company or reseller, etc..The person isn't using not ordinary language an novice website ..there are other clues too..i'd overlook this "answer" if you want a real opinion from an individual that doesn't sound like they are trying to sell the hosting...And if the service is so "amazing"- the standard guarantees mentioned by the poster aren't anything special...Keep looking - most hosts don't charge for support particularly when the "knowledgebase" the person refers to is so complete!! Sounds fishy to me...i personally don't like people that pose as novices to the internet that own a service, company, etc and use forums as another marketing tool..that's what i got from this..as for HostWinds..not a great value, service or features for the money and add-on fees.

Collapse -
What is considered good?
by HostMantis / February 7, 2013 1:16 AM PST

What one person may consider good may not be to another, so when it comes to web hosting it's hard to say.

When considering a web host, most experienced webmasters/designers suggest staying away from the hosts you typically find in "Top 10" lists when searching Google and instead get reviews regarding companies from reliable sources like WHT instead of affiliate sites that suggest hosts based on the highest bidder.

Collapse -
BSF FRP Industries
by santoshmane2 / April 7, 2013 4:56 PM PDT

The best hosting plan is the plan which contain all the following features like
Web Design
Web Hosting
At least 20+ email id
More space
Good Designing
Social Media Integration
24*7 Chat
all this thing who contain that is the best hosting plans

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.