Computer Help forum

What is the best os for my newly aquiered old desktop?

by _Windows_Man_ / January 27, 2013 11:22 AM PST

I recently purchased a computer at a yard sale, (working but hard drive swiped clean) . . . an HP Pavilion 6830.
Hardware includes: Intel Celeron 700 MHz processor, 20 GB hard drive, integrated graphics (Intel 810L), 2 usb ports, and the max. of 512 MB ram.
It's designed for Windows ME which is no longer supported and I was wondering what would be the best os for such a beast. I also added an ethernet card but I still don't know hardware and driver specs of it. I have two Windows Xp disk but would prefer something that automatically detects drivers during install. Please help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best os for my newly aquiered old desktop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best os for my newly aquiered old desktop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Learn mode
by Willy / January 27, 2013 11:53 AM PST

Well, check the HP support website and find your model# PC and note down all the specs. You're windows is XP for now and ever as that's as far as it will go. Add all the ram it can handle and probably increase HD size maybe to 80gb or better, if you like. Sorry, when it comes to OS installs you need to provide the drivers and HP support should have what came with the system. Otherwise, know what is present and find the proper drivers for that product, XP drivers. Its not that hard overall, but you do have to assure you're getting the right ones. If you're willing to spend $, then consider that this will be better spend on a true P4(2.4ghz or better) or even dual core if you find one.

If you like check out the use of Linux OS, such a Ubuntu. Use the live version that runs off the CD in order to get a feel for it.

IMHO, you may have picked a too old of PC other for playing and getting to know more, education in the making. I just think you're not going to get a hot PC out of this other than for learning. Check your local Craigslist or eBay for other offering. Craigslist, you can put search or request if possible. Also FreeCycle maybe active in your area, post there too.

tada -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
Ubuntu sucks and I just want something cheap to do "stuff"
by _Windows_Man_ / January 28, 2013 6:13 AM PST
In reply to: Learn mode

I've tried Ubuntu on a good system(3gb ram and Pentium D, 70gb HD) it sucked. I know to skip on any other Windows newer than ME but my sister had one just like it just larger HD and this one reminds me of when
I used to play webkinz on that beast. It's a memory and I like it, it helps me to remember my "childhood" even though I'm still a child. Would you happen to know if an old version of Mac would run on this machine because I've got some old floppy disk with games on them and really want to play them, but they only work on Mac. I know nothing about Mac and it would be great to know some specs.

Collapse -
I see little leeway
by Willy / January 28, 2013 11:43 AM PST

Plain fact, you're not going to run Mac s/w on a IBM type PC. You could run Linux and that may get you to a Mac side. However, you find Linux not good enough. Like I stated you're not going to go far other than s/w like win9x or Me, but XP is applicable though on the low side. If you want see what s/w can run, then look at the s/w requirements, it should be well spelled out.

Besides Ubuntu, there are many Linux OSes out there, maybe even Lindows could work, or Konnix, etc. Linux d/l OS websites should give a list and you can try them all and they're free, usually. Some of these Linux run on "live CDs" which can give an idea of the look and feel of them, check it out. google for free OS or Linux downloads.

Otherwise, you need to look at used Mac PCs to really on that side. ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Given the rather low end PC. Skip Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 1:29 PM PST

Try a few of the Linux OSes as they are free and you rarely have to hunt down drivers.

Collapse -
Most Linux suck but. . .
by _Windows_Man_ / January 28, 2013 6:19 AM PST

Zorin, I've use it my Dell E520 which is a rather decent computer but will Zorin even run on such crappy hardware?

As I said to Willy though is that Mac could be nice but if you know a lot about Linux could you get me some proof that Linux doesn't SUCK!

Collapse -
Then run a windows from the days the machine was out?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 6:27 AM PST

What's stopping you from running an OS that fits the PC in question?

Or just being patient. Example at link.

Your PC is 8 times faster and twice the ram. So what's stopping you?

Collapse -
Re: recently bought a PC
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 6:29 AM PST

That's a nice machine to run Windows 98 SE on, if you still have an installation CD. But, indeed, Windows ME is an option also.

The price of such a machine must be negative. That is, the owner doesn't find the time to bring it to the recycling and pays you to do that.

Collapse -
The fee near Boston, MA, USA for that was 55 bucks in 2010.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 8:09 AM PST

I don't want to know what it is today.

Collapse -
You can buy
by itsdigger / January 28, 2013 8:28 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.