PC Applications forum

General discussion

What is the best movie-editing program for PC's?

by nickclark567 / October 16, 2006 7:25 AM PDT

I am wondering what is the best software for editing movies on PC's, and what are the system requirements?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best movie-editing program for PC's?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best movie-editing program for PC's?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ford, Chevy, Cadillac?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2006 7:32 AM PDT

While I think highly of CINELARRA http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3 you may have meant to offer more details about what operating system you like to use.

If it's Windows then we have Sony Vegas and some film schools are stuck with AVID. I won't note all the addins for Vegas or Avid.

Bob

Collapse -
What about Magix Movie Edit Pro 11?
by nickclark567 / October 16, 2006 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Ford, Chevy, Cadillac?

What do you think of Magix Movie Edit Pro 11? That's what i'm using on my Acer Aspire 3003WLCI laptop with Windows XP Home SP2 (if those specs help).

Collapse -
The Yugo?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2006 8:57 AM PDT

It works (sometimes?) but you really should try out better stuff like Sony Vegas.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by nickclark567 / October 16, 2006 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: The Yugo?

I really like Magix, but I'm open for suggestions. Is there a free trial I coul download?

Collapse -
What makes Sony better?
by nickclark567 / October 16, 2006 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: The Yugo?

What additional features does Sony Vegas have? And does it support Chroma Keying?

Collapse -
Yes, there's a demo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2006 10:40 AM PDT

Also demos are over at ulead.com as well that are worth a look (more the Chevy class.)

Since there are web sites about Vegas, Ulead and demos are free, let's let the demo answer specifics.

Bob

Collapse -
Which Vegas?
by nickclark567 / October 16, 2006 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, there's a demo.
Collapse -
Compare the prices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2006 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Which Vegas?

One is found around for 99 bucks the other is more like what you pay for pro packages.

Just so you know I don't duplicate web content.

Bob

Collapse -
I Went With Vegas
by JohnChod / October 19, 2006 11:30 PM PDT

I downloaded and checked out demos for a few different products. I ended up getting Vegas Studio + DVD Platinum. It's relatively inexpensive but provides what I want to do and did not have an inordinately steep learning curve.

Of course, it depends what you need to and want to do. This package would be fine for home use and I'm even going to use it to attempt to produce some training videos for my company. There are certainly more complex tasks that this version won't handle. You need to look at all of the versions and find the specific things that you are interested in and base your choice on that. Price may be a concern as well.

Look at the product comparisons and download and try the demos.

One additional word - I was very interested in being able to add a narration soundtrack to a video. Some of the cheaper software, including Adobe Premiere Elements, does not allow you to record a soundtrack while watching the video. This made timing horrendously difficult. Vegas Studio + DVD will play the video track while recording your narration.

Collapse -
Vegas is great, but........
by cntg_chris / October 20, 2006 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I Went With Vegas

one critical subject hasn't been discussed. The original post person didn't state what he mean't by "movie on PC" but I'll take it he means he used Windows Media Edition which when copied onto the computer, it converts the file to MPEG. MPEG is a highly compressed format.

Now, when you start editing this movie and reconvert it to its final format, again MPEG, for either making a DVD or downsizing for IPOD or PSP, your RE-COMPRESSING this file.

Bottom line.....you've made a third generation conversion which means you've degraded your movie to almost a VHS quality.

Best bet: When recording to your computer (to MPEG), in your video edit program, immediately convert you movie to AVI format. Work in AVI (add effects, fades,etc.) and when you're ready to convert to a DVD, IPOD or PSP, let the program convert. This way, you've eliminated one degradation.

BTW, Sony's video editing programs, for the $, are the best bet.

My 2

Collapse -
Vegas for LG & Mad Dog cd/dvd write record and Nero, Roxio
by jocaan / October 20, 2006 1:41 AM PDT

I'm having a bit of a problem converting my Sony Hi8 that I transferred to my hard drive in copying to DVD-RAM. I may be doing something wrong, I'm new at this but the bundled software that comes with LG or MaD Dog do not work-I'm always asked to format and the recordings do not show on the disk when I finish.
Would Sony Vegas be good software to transfer to DVD-RAM with these two drives?
Thanks, Frank C.

Collapse -
Re: Vegas for LG & Mad Dog cd/dvd write record and Nero, Rox
by cntg_chris / October 20, 2006 5:36 AM PDT

jocann,

Why on Earth would you use a DVD-RAM disc? Your computer's CD/DVD-RW won't record to RAM discs.

Best bet is to use DVD-R/W or DVD+R/W discs. That way you can erase after viewing.

Sony or any other video editing software won't record to RAM discs.

Like others have said, download and use the trial video editing software to see which suits what you're going after.

Some editing software have eye-catching transitions, others are better at all-around editing, which might include added sound control and manipulation of each track.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
To RAM Or Not To RAM
by jocaan / October 20, 2006 11:14 AM PDT

Both the LG and the Mad Dog advertise on the box that they read and write to DVD-RAM.
I've read several evaluations of DVD-RAM where it has been tested as the best video recording medium. Ostensibly it is supposed to be the easiest medium to drag and drop and has one or two other features that escape me at the moment-its supposed to perform just like a hard drive or floppy disk.
To me all that seems to simplify what choice one should make.
Panasonic and others are sticking with DVD-RAM compatible set top recorders where you would almost completely be recording video. Since I have quite a few (40 or so) family VHS tapes and Hi-8 tapes video quality is important to me.
I do agree testing some of the others is a good idea and hopefully I will get a chance to do it. Some of the other software mentioned in the Top Ten do indicate they record to DVD-RAM.
Right now I uninstalled and reinstalled all my ATI software-All In Wonder 9600 XT. I'm having audio problems on the TV section at the moment and have a support ticket into ATI.
I'm mentioning this because my Roxio software that came with the Mad Dog has an Import feature and I got the bright idea that the reason Roxio is not copying correctly is because I did not use Roxio (through ATI)to import the Hi-8 tape to my hard drive, I just used the ATI directly.
Thanks, Frank C.

Collapse -
File types
by jocaan / October 21, 2006 1:26 AM PDT

My file type for the video transferred to my hard drive is .VOB . Before I transfer this video to a DVD, what are you saying, should I change the file type, or are you just concerned with the editing and final quality phase?
How do you change the file type?
Does Roxio, Nero, ULead, Sony, Pinnacle, etc, have different file types?
Thanks, Frank

Collapse -
D best...
by Serpent...: ) / May 3, 2007 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: File types

Hey guyzz,
Wht r d best video , audio and photo editin softwares available....

Its like i wanna make a short movie o my frends nd family im jus startin 2 make a movie and i dun noe anythin, ill learn usin d software....
I wanna create d best so i wanna do each part usin d best software in each....
I have a dual core pent4 , 80gb hdd nd 256 ram....
I also want a web site wher i can download music 2 insert em durin special scenes [emotinal]...
Ur help wud mean a lot 2 me....
I wan 2 gift my work 2 my near ones....

Plzzzz Help Happy
THANK U

Collapse -
Home Movies: I chose Pinnacle over Sony.
by phausm / October 20, 2006 1:01 AM PDT

I also tried a few demos before committing. I found that Pinnacle Studio Plus (www.pinnaclesys.com) had more features that I would use, was easier to learn and offered better support . Plus it was a few bucks cheaper than the comparable Sony product.

Bottom Line, I would agree is to look at a few and try the one or ones that look best to you before buying.

Collapse -
Pinnacle bugs
by dknapp / October 20, 2006 10:48 PM PDT

But how buggy is it? I have tried Pinnacle products over the last 4-5 years and all of them drove me crazy with bugs and crashes. Go with Adobe Premier Elements and your time will be well spent.

Collapse -
2nd that - Pinnacle Bugs
by psxdns / October 23, 2006 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Pinnacle bugs

The only way I was able to get Pinnacle to run stable was to run it "stand alone", that is, with no other programs running on XP Pro. I also had to tweak some settings to get the program to run smoothy which conflicted with other apps. It's a powerful program, but not worth the hassle in my opinion.

I've chosen to use InterVideo WinDVD Creator for basic editing as it's stable and easy to use.

Collapse -
Pinnacle latest version is by far the best
by reinabelle / October 24, 2006 3:58 AM PDT

Make sure you are using the latest version of Pinnacle Plus 10.6
You have more FX, more Transitions and more Titles than any other similar programs without paying high price and without having to shift to high gear professional hardware.

I strongly recommend it if you are a serous amateur...

Collapse -
I have Sony and Ulead VideoStudio
by dboanca / October 20, 2006 3:11 AM PDT

I have both Sony Movie Studio software and Ulead VideoStudio9, they are both fairly close in price. The Ulead software is more up to date but that's because I prefer it over the two and have been updating it and only use the Sony software when the Ulead has a problem reading the file format (pretty rarely).

I prefer the Ulead software over the Sony mainly for two reasons: the Ulead has a much more rich selection of transition effects (I like to make movie and slideshows) although they may have added better transitions to the Sony software by now. The Ulead also has a much easier learning curve and ease of operation than the Sony brand, for some reason Sony always seems to pick very cumbersome software manufactures for it's OEM products. Although I have two VAIO desktops and love'em.

That's a great tip from the Review_Guy about first converting the mpeg to AVI format, I have not tried that and have been scratching my head on the quality problem for some time know, their's so much to learn about video compression and formating it can be daunting.

I vote for trying the demos, I would try the Sony first.

Here's a couple of links for reviews.

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/index.php/taxid;1090983977;pid;1305;pt;1

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/pid;1054;taxid;1090983977;pt;1

Collapse -
Best Movie Editing Program
by harley2ride / October 20, 2006 7:04 AM PDT

That all depends on your needs. For some people, using Windows Movie Maker software (free), and one of the many free softwares which can covert files to dvd format, can make movies that suit them just fine. If you want to to a little more than that, look at Ulead Studio, Pinnacle (can be pretty buggy on some systems), Adobe Premiere Elements, or Vegas Movie Studio. There are numorous others (see www.videohelp.com), but these are the main players. For semi-professional to professional level, you need to look at Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas 5 or 6, Avid, etc. It comes down to how much control do you want or need, and how much stuff do you want the software to automatically do for you. The higher end softwares, all have a very steep learning curve, and require hours of tutorials and playing, before you can ever think of making a decent movie. But if you want that, it is a lot of fun being able to have all that control and seeing a nice finished end dvd.

Collapse -
PC Based Osciloscope
by haren9 / October 21, 2006 4:31 AM PDT

I want to use my pc as osciloscope. Please advice me how can it possible, and how many prise of its hardware devise.

My E-Mail Address
haren9@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Just wondering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2006 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: PC Based Osciloscope

"What is the best movie-editing program for PC's?"

is the topic. Why put this here?

As to oscilloscopes, that's too vague. Tell more about the bandwidth and number of channels.

bob

Collapse -
Mixing two video sources
by integranet / October 23, 2006 10:58 PM PDT

Has anyone ever tried mixing two video sources with an external audio source? I recorded an event on two digital camcorders and have a separate digital audio recording. I'd like to switch back & forth between the two camera views while keeping it all synched to the external audio. Any ideas what may work? I noticed with Sonic & I believe ULead that if you add a transition it screws up the synch to an external audio source.

Collapse -
Actually I've seen this work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2006 11:42 PM PDT

The "film editor" sits there and shifts the video left and right until they get it right. If you were expecting the software to get it done for you then I see where you could be less than happy.

Bob

Collapse -
Shifted Video
by integranet / October 24, 2006 12:05 AM PDT

Yes, it actually changes the time when you add the transition - the video now takes longer to play than it did. Since it pays no attention to the external audio, they are now out of synch. Very aggravating when you had it right, then the transitions play their own game with the time.

Collapse -
My film editor didn't seem aggravated about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2006 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Shifted Video

Just sat there and worked on it.

Bob

Collapse -
Do the audio later
by nickclark567 / October 24, 2006 5:34 AM PDT

You could just mix the video and then sync the audio, unless you really need the audio to mix the video.

Collapse -
Two Video Sources with One Audio Source
by integranet / November 3, 2006 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: Do the audio later

Actually the two cameras recorded two views of someone playing the piano. The separate digital audio track is critical - the two videos need to always be exactly synched to it. I would rather pay more for the right software than fight every scene transition to stay synched.
With over 90 minutes of play, I don't want to switch views just a few times. So I'd rather have something that can help me keep them synched once I start.
I was hoping someone made software (that wasn't priced in the stratosphere) where I could synch all three, then choose back & forth sections from each video, defining the transitions between them, without losing the synch to the audio.
Does this make sense?
Thanks.

Collapse -
D best
by Serpent...: ) / May 3, 2007 12:17 AM PDT

Hey guyzz,
Wht r d best video , audio and photo editin softwares available....

Its like i wanna make a short movie o my frends nd family im jus startin 2 make a movie and i dun noe anythin, ill learn usin d software....
I wanna create d best so i wanna do each part usin d best software in each....
I have a dual core pent4 , 80gb hdd nd 256 ram....
I also want a web site wher i can download music 2 insert em durin special scenes [emotinal]...
Ur help wud mean a lot 2 me....
I wan 2 gift my work 2 my near ones....

Plzzzz Help
THANK U

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.