How To

Resolved Question

What is the best method for downloading free movies safely?

by jameshefnermorris / July 16, 2011 4:07 AM PDT

What is the best method for downloading free movies safely?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best method for downloading free movies safely?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best method for downloading free movies safely?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by jameshefnermorris

Collapse -
Avoid Torrents and pirate sites.
by mrmagill / July 16, 2011 6:03 AM PDT

This is a subject I have spent considerable time on, as I am a school teacher and our classroom does not have Internet, which would keep me from sharing some of the great content that is online with the kids. First, as I said, stay away from anything mentioning torrents. A torrent program is two-way, you're downloading while uploading to others at the same time. Torrent programs are inherently risky because of the access level they need to your system to function. There is nothing inherently "insidious" about this, it's just the way they work.

Collapse -
Good advice about torrents and such
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 16, 2011 6:25 AM PDT

But am I mistaken? I thought YouTube held the Copyright on all the video content uploaded to their web site.

Mark

Collapse -
Downloading YouTube Videos, legal or not?
by mrmagill / July 17, 2011 8:11 AM PDT

The answer to this question, directly from the YouTube Terms of Service, appears to be "Sometimes."

Collapse -
I didn't see a 5B
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 17, 2011 9:17 PM PDT

That's strange. In that link you provided I can't find a Section 5B

I can find section 5

5 General restrictions on use

and then 5.1, A to M followed by 5.2 to 5.6

I have heard mention about YouTube offering a "Download" link or similar, but have not seen it myself. But I have to ask, if YouTube does make certain content downloadable, why the need for any 3rd party apps?

YouTube's Terms are an absolute minefield, and the lawyers would have an expensive, (at your expense), field day reading through and analysing those terms. For example;

5.1.C. you agree not to access Content through any technology or means other
than the video playback pages of the Website itself, the YouTube Player,
or such other means as YouTube may explicitly designate for this
purpose;

5.1.M. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast,
display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other
purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective
licensors of the Content

Personally I would stay away from such contentious issues.

Mark

Collapse -
I'm starting to agree with you. :)
by mrmagill / July 18, 2011 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I didn't see a 5B

Here's a little bigger snip, and from the link I provided earlier: <quoting>

Collapse -
Safe Video Content
by ZacColbert / August 15, 2011 10:28 PM PDT

I mainly use Channel 4's on demand service, it's safe and reliable, I've never got a virus and I protect my purchase by using a prepaid card. iTunes's service is also very good, the films are high quality and reasonably priced.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove possible spam link on 08/17/2011 at 2:13 PM PT

Collapse -
Answer
There's none.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 16, 2011 4:27 AM PDT

Illegal sources tend to be unsafe. Do it at your own risk or don't do it.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.