Laptops

General discussion

What is the best laptop for gaming?

by EEaglefan / February 20, 2007 5:21 AM PST

I have a large budget so please do tell...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best laptop for gaming?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best laptop for gaming?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well, since you said...
by steve749 / February 20, 2007 6:06 AM PST

You have a large budget, check out VoodooPC for one idea.

Regards,
JB

(Who likes his VoodooPC PC)

Collapse -
VoodooPc
by EEaglefan / February 20, 2007 9:26 AM PST

It looks gret but it does exceed my budget: mine is more like 4.5k, the thing is i need at least an 2.2ghz CPU, 2 GB of RAM huge hard drive and great graphics cards, im trying for a 17". I was looking at the Dell M1710 and the Alienware area-51 M5790 though the m1710 has limited HDD space, and the M5790 has a weaker graphics card

(im going to college for Architecture, very demanding programs)

Collapse -
Alienware, etc
by StargateFan / February 20, 2007 10:01 AM PST
In reply to: VoodooPc

Alienware has a bad reputation for quality of machine on arrival and support there afterward. THey also have very weird support policies when it comes to hardware. So many people on this forum will tell you to stay away from Alienware.

The Dell m1710 is an impressive machine but I have a few other suggestions. Starting with Dell I would take a look at the XPS. THey are more high end systems built specifically for multimedia heavy users. Other then Dell I would like into Asus. Specifically the Asus G1 Gaming System. This particular laptop has a high end graphics power, combined with great processor power this machine is also a great pc. However to get these high end features you must find a model that has the all the high end compnents built in because ASUS doesn't build the machine around your specs.

The last machine I would look into is from a computer manufacturer that I am really onboard with. And that is Sony. I feel that Sony has great machines, they last long, they have strength and reliability and they are stylish. Definately look into the higher end Sony Laptops. Good Luck

Collapse -
sony notebook
by EEaglefan / February 20, 2007 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: Alienware, etc

I looked at the notebook and it looks good i like the service options and overalll it seems to be a good deal, ive never used one so i have no personal experiance, i will definatly consider it.

thank you

Collapse -
No Problem
by StargateFan / February 20, 2007 11:36 AM PST
In reply to: sony notebook

I have used a TX series model intensively. It is a really great system. Again with the great multimedia features you can still go with an extremely lightweight notebook or one of the more heavier ones, which is usually more geared to your needs.

Collapse -
archetecture...
by madmaisa13 / March 13, 2007 3:43 PM PDT
In reply to: VoodooPc
Collapse -
by JackTheCrow / February 20, 2007 11:57 AM PST

I would definately have to say the Executioner by Killernotebooks.
here's a review: http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/notebooks/kn-executioner/

The executioner is probably the Fastest gaming laptop in the market right now. It's a Sager 5760 variant so it's build solid and stylish (looks much better than the xps or most other laptops).

The killernotebooks variant comes with modified heatsinks so their overclocked 7950 gtx's are faster than other gaming laptops'. Plus, their customer service is said to be legendary since they deal with such a small group of people.

Collapse -
gaming laptops
by EEaglefan / February 21, 2007 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: ...

Thanks for the help the exicutioner looks great, yes i do need a laptop i is a requirement for the program if i had a choice id go with a PC

Collapse -
Killernotebooks
by EEaglefan / February 22, 2007 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: ...

How do you create the custom skin

Collapse -
by JackTheCrow / February 22, 2007 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: Killernotebooks

If the custom skin option is selected, they will call you for details. Or upon order, you can talk to them directly and discuss exactly what you want. I hear they are very good about talking to their customers, and I would have to say Killernbotebooks are the best out right now for those who are willing to pay extra. Just forget you even heard about alienware and carry on with your life.

Collapse -
by ultimateguy / February 20, 2007 12:58 PM PST

If I were you I would just get a desktop PC. Gaming laptops tend to get very hot and suck battery power like crazy.

So unless you absolutely must have a portable laptop and a bulky AC brick, I would spend the money to get a desktop PC that has even better specs.

Collapse -
Fastest Latop on the planet... so far...
by Perthos / February 21, 2007 7:15 AM PST

Well if you want the fastest laptop out there yet... and have a 4.5k budget... Look at Sager laptops, Voodoo PC is basically a rebranded fancy looking Sager. Currently the fastest out there is the NP5960. But be warned, its a beast! 20" Display, and 2 Nvidia 7950 GTX's in SLI.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html

Unfortunately, as of now, the fastest processor out there that can handle the heat and overall load of those SLI cards is the AMD x2 TL60, a Dual core running at 2.0GHZ. This is the only downside and bottleneck of the system... (besides how freaking huge it is.)In a perfect world the NP5960's processor should be a Intel Core 2 Duo. But the C2D + SLI setup does NOT exist... yet. Alienware I think will be bringing that setup in the Late March/ May time frame. However you dont need to look far to see a host of people from forums that dont trust Alienware and think their customer service and build quality is crap. I've read some serious horror stories about Alienware... Anyway... look into Sager/Clevo Resellers such as PCTORQUE, Hypersonic, Xotic PC and such... but I can for a fact say that right now, the NP5960 is the fastest laptop on the planet...

Collapse -
So you want the Fastest laptop??
by Perthos / February 21, 2007 7:17 AM PST

Well if you want the fastest laptop out there yet... and have a 4.5k budget... Look at Sager laptops, Voodoo PC is basically a re-branded fancy looking Sager. Currently the fastest out there is the NP5960. But be warned, its a beast! 20" Display, and 2 Nvidia 7950 GTX's in SLI.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html

Unfortunately, as of now, the fastest processor out there that can handle the heat and overall load of those SLI cards is the AMD x2 TL60, a Dual core running at 2.0GHZ. This is the only downside and bottleneck of the system... (besides how freaking huge it is.)In a perfect world the NP5960's processor should be a Intel Core 2 Duo. But the C2D + SLI setup does NOT exist... yet. Alienware I think will be bringing that setup in the Late March/ May time frame. However you dont need to look far to see a host of people from forums that dont trust Alienware and think their customer service and build quality is crap. I've read some serious horror stories about Alienware... Anyway... look into Sager/Clevo Resellers such as PCTORQUE, Hypersonic, Xotic PC and such... but I can for a fact say that right now, the NP5960 is the fastest laptop on the planet... and the biggest lol

Collapse -
Sager
by jrivers52 / February 22, 2007 10:32 AM PST

you prefer the Turion over Dual core ?

Collapse -
Your are so wrong about that computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by Lmor21 / November 2, 2007 7:19 AM PDT

Read this off of a review that i copied from Notebookreview.com.

Gaming

Then came the ultimate test of all times, which failed, miserably. That's right. The test failed miserably. I installed Flight Simulator X on the machine, maxed out the settings, and started the game. It was a slide-show. Extremely disappointing, needless to say, after a near 5 grand investment, dual SLI video cards, and this beautiful 20" screen. My only consolation is that - to date - there is no machine on the surface of the planet capable of running Flight Simulator X, out-of-the-box, with reasonable performance. Perhaps when the dual core patch is released things will look better. Or perhaps if this laptop had a Core 2 Duo processor, things might have been better too. Right now the performance on this laptop with its all-so-mighty SLI video cards is actually slower than my Alienware Core 2 Duo 2.33 with its humble ATI x1800 video card, offering only 256 MB memory. I believe this highlights how this system is truly under-powered by its Turion X2 processor, running at 1.8 GHz. In a way, bad design choice, and in fact, what a waste of GPU power. Perhaps it was the NVIDIA chipset that prohibited the usage of Core 2 Duo on this platform, but I'm pretty sure if the newest Core 2 Duo 2.33 with overclockability to 2.5 was on this machine, results would have been a lot better.

Unless you own one and can vouch for it.

Sorry to burst your bubble!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Why?
by jmanjohns2 / February 23, 2007 3:35 AM PST

Out of curiosity, why the urge for a Laptop? Honestly, unless you are in school or go to a lot of lan parties, there isn't much reason (IMHO) for a laptop. You can build or buy a nice gaming rig more powerful than the very best gaming laptops for half the price.

If you insist upon a laptop however, I would be inclined to get something with SLI. You could look at the Sagers, also check out Hypersonic. Hypersonic is really only a rebranded Sager (which is itself a rebranded Clevo), but they have a great reputation for customer service with boutique buyers (people who don't mind spending a fortune for the same product with "better" service ;-). Personally I don't like Alienware, but if you want something special looking for that kind of money (I would) then maybe thats for you. Tech wise, all three, the Hypersonix AX9, Sager np5960, or the Alienware m9700 (or if you want to waste money the mALX) are pretty similar, so it comes down to price and how comfortable you are with the reputations (or lack thereof) of the different brands.

Collapse -
why
by EEaglefan / February 23, 2007 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: Why?

Im a student... therefore it is neccasary

Collapse -
Why Laptop
by EEaglefan / February 28, 2007 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: Why?

I am in school

Collapse -
Gaming Note Book
by mr. stephan / February 24, 2007 4:30 AM PST

Buy from Dell and you are a fool, I have priced there PC's and you can get the same thing anywhere for 2k less!

Collapse -
by JackTheCrow / February 24, 2007 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: Gaming Note Book

Actually, dell's e1705 probably has the best price to performance ratio out of all the gaming laptops. a fully loaded e1705 equipped with a 7900gs for something around 1400$ can easily preform on par with systems 2K more. I know mine does, anyway.

Collapse -
17 inch
by madmaisa13 / March 13, 2007 3:49 PM PDT

As stated previously I do not recommend a 17 inch laptop!!!

...however If you plan on getting one I would recommend the alienware aurora m9700 or a Satellite P100-S9772; also "asus" laptops are also great! however their graphics cards do not perform as well as others (in the 17 inch ranges)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.