Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What is the best free pop up blocker out there?

by cmlmich / October 21, 2005 12:59 AM PDT

Could someone let me know which free pop up blocker is the best? Thanks for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best free pop up blocker out there?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best free pop up blocker out there?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For me, it's Mozilla.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2005 1:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Will it work if I use IE though? N/T
by cmlmich / October 21, 2005 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: For me, it's Mozilla.
Collapse -
I think so...
by glenn30 / October 21, 2005 7:14 AM PDT

Although I use Firefox 1.0.7 which is a Mozilla family member Adblock works great with it. There are no conflicts having two browsers installed at the same time. I use IE only for Windows Updates since it is required. Right now I am viewing the CNet page free of adds and receive no popups.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
by gopherit912 / April 15, 2006 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: I think so...

CNET has Pop Ups?

I hadn't noticed. Actually I use a Combination of the Mozilla Browser, Google Toolbar, and Yahoo Toolbar all offering Pop Up Protection. So actually I haven't noticed any CNET Pop Ups. lol.

Collapse -
Small Edit
by gopherit912 / April 15, 2006 10:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Wait

I realize there is also a Mozilla Browser so I mean Firefox in my other post. lol. Just Thought I'd get it straight. I also Have SP2 but I doubt Microsoft supports Firefox so I probably don't get much usage out of it.

Collapse -
It's NOT free but it's VERY Good
by steve11375 / October 21, 2005 7:33 AM PDT

Hey cmlmich,

I know you asked for FREE pop-up blockers, well XP pro SP2 is very good at killing almost all pop-ups. I've been using another product from my Windows '98SE days which is excellent also & you might consider. It's PopUpCop..WWW.POPUPCOP.COM it's NOT free but an excellent program with updates.

Collapse -
Cmlmich, My Favorite...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 21, 2005 9:40 AM PDT

..is the HOSTS file...If you don't know what that is, please read the link below. Basically, it's a text file which is placed on the computer, (Not installed" like other programs) which blocks most advertising/spyware pop ups and prevents the browser from visiting "banned" sites.:

How To Use A HOSTS File

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by da1e_e / October 27, 2005 8:22 PM PDT

my favorite is the one that comes with the google tool bar .. easy too use and configure .. and it allows an over ride easily too if you want it.

Collapse -
Google and...
by mr_djamigos / October 28, 2005 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: google

I also use Googles toolbar with pop-up blocker. It works well. I also have Internet Explorer's on too. It's not as good but between them, I rarely get any pop-ups.

Collapse -
Free Surfer mk ll
by Tattoo4 / October 27, 2005 8:44 PM PDT

Free Surfer is free, and it has worked great for me, and I am fussy. Do a search in Google for it, I think you'll be surprised how well it does.

Collapse -
Lots of options available
by mess_enger_guy / October 27, 2005 8:51 PM PDT

There are lots of options available for free pop up blockers. First of all if you are using Windows XP SP2, it provides an automatic pop up blocker with IE 6. But I've seen some sites playing tricks and inspite of the pop up blocker they are able to pop up windows. The pop up blockers provided with Google toolbar and Yahoo toolbar are pretty good I think. With so many free options available, I think theres hardly any need to pay for some pop up blocker, these pop up blockers also serve very well.

Collapse -
Best Popup blockers...
by flight_simmer / October 27, 2005 10:56 PM PDT

In my opinion, if you need a popup blocker you should try Panicware's Popup Stopper (either free or the companion toolbar). On my Windows box, anytime I run IE6, it has the Popup stopper companion toolbar running. You can customize it so it only takes up 3 small icons on your IE toolbar space, however it isn't free. The free popup blocker they offer works pretty much exactly the same, except it runs in the system tray and doesn't include a toolbar. The good thing about the free version (and pro as well) is that it works for Firefox and Netscape as well, and it is pure freeware - No spyware or adware. If you run XPSP2 and popup stopper, you won't have ANY popups unless you have spyware that affects both. Another alternative to popup stopper would be to switch to the recently free Opera browser, or the ever popular Firefox. Both include popup blocking for non-XP systems, and they don't cost anything as well. If you install Firefox or Opera and you still get a lot of popups, I would suggest seeking some spyware scanners to alleviate the problem.

Collapse -
NoAds is great
by ebloch / October 27, 2005 10:58 PM PDT

I have been using the free NoAdsfor several years with great success. It is available at http://www.southbaypc.com/NoAds/

You select the URLs you want it to kill. It is completely flexable and supports Internet Explorer, Firefox, Netscape, and America Online.

Collapse -
Firefox + Adblock + Filterset.G Updater
by donniebnyc / October 27, 2005 11:23 PM PDT

With these three installed I never see a popup or an ad. Best of all, with the updater it's set-and-forget. And it's all FREE.

Collapse -
Yes it's Mozilla
by BTapscott / October 28, 2005 1:24 AM PDT

I installed virus and popup blocker, after popup blocker to no avial. I even tried installing a new version of Internet Explorer all to no avail.

I was about to reinstall the operating system out of frustration, but tried installing Mozilla as a penultimate resource.

It worked perfectly with a little help from Google.

Collapse -
I like google
by jynx / October 28, 2005 1:58 AM PDT

Goggle's the first one I've used. I'm happy with it and the price is right - free. I still get about 1 pop-up/week, almost always of the type that looks like it's from Microsoft. <shrugs> Dunno if it is or not and don't care. I rate pop-ups right up there with marketing calls - don't care who they're from, I didn't ask for them.

Collapse -
best pop-up blocker
by Fred bouchard / October 28, 2005 11:50 AM PDT

Mozilla and it's little brother Firefox, which actually outperforms mozilla since it's a lot cleaner and acts like BOTH the IE and Netscape browsers. Pop-up blocking is automatic in BOTH and they're much easier to configure.

Collapse -
Not So Much a Blocker but Rather a Route.....
by tobeach / October 28, 2005 2:44 PM PDT

dis-abling: Many Pop ups are coming via Messenger & Outlook Express's back door messenger channel. Answer is disabling both. You can use "Shoot the Messenger" or Adaware has 2 add-ons available at their site which will (when added to AdawareSE kill both accesses. Can't remember last time I saw a pop-up. Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
free one is at analogx.com
by mmmark / October 28, 2005 6:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
by JWskiman / October 28, 2005 9:22 PM PDT

Agree 100% - Mozilla is great.

Collapse -
not quite
by russ666 / October 28, 2005 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Mozilla

i am a mac-head (imac g3 OS X 10.2.8). using mozilla suite (1.7.11). i get NO popups (true) since i have them blocked in preferences but still am getting the occasional pop-unders. any suggestions?

Collapse -
I noted how to fix that at ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2005 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: not quite
Collapse -
Best pop-up blocker = Firefox or Mozilla
by SysGoddess / October 29, 2005 1:52 AM PDT

My subject line says it all although if I'm forced to use IE for any reason the Google toolbar used to do a pretty good job. Now, for the most part however, if I have to use IE on a site I run it through a proxy on our network that filters out most of that crap before it ever hits the workstation.

Collapse -
Pop up blocker
by DanielII / October 29, 2005 7:39 AM PDT

I've been using pop-up blocker from www.panicware.com for a few years now and I love it. The only time I get pop-up's is if I turn it off and forget to turn it back on. And it's FREE.

Collapse -
by benedictkhoojr / November 20, 2005 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: Pop up blocker

Google Toolbar's built in pop up blocker. Superb, Free and i don't have to go to the google to start my search. It's already there!

Collapse -
Best free pop up blocker...
by Larry38 / April 16, 2006 3:14 AM PDT

I like Firefox and Opera.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.