Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

What is the best FREE Anti-spyware out there?

by cindersga / February 19, 2008 5:01 AM PST

I am looking for some free anti-spyware/maliousware programs. I have the free AVG one and I purchased Fix-It 8.0. My kids are always on MySpace and iTunes and they both seem to screw-up my computer and make it very slow and unresponsive. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks. Cinders

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best FREE Anti-spyware out there?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best FREE Anti-spyware out there?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are many recommendations
by roddy32 / February 19, 2008 5:43 AM PST
Collapse -
Free Spyware
by cindersga / February 20, 2008 11:36 PM PST

Thank you Roddy. Cinders

Collapse -
no such thing as a best free antispyware
by alice_b0wie / February 19, 2008 8:17 AM PST

i would say a-squared free is one of the better choices. and if you're using avg antivirus, i'd throw that in the trash and use avira anti virus. if you want to purchase an antispyware, which is better than piling 10 free ones on your hard drive that do absolutely nothing, spyware doctor is one of the better ones. unless you have an old outdated computer that runs the old outdated XP. i found that spyware doctor out performed norton antivirus. spysweeper is another good one, it's about $10 less, but i'm sure someone will respond with all the free antispyware programs. i've found they're all outdated and really haven't kept up with the new malware.
id rather spend around $100 for a top of the line security suite and one of the best antispyware programs than take a chance on having my identity, bank accounts, credit cards, etc. taken over and lose thousands. to me, free isn't the way to go.
i really didn't answer your question, sorry. but out of the free security programs, i'd chose avira antivirus and a-squared free, and zonealarm firewall. after 4 years of this i've settled on my security. i run windows vista home premium, i use kaspersky internet security and turned up most of the settings. i run spyware doctor in real time with it and spysweeper doesnt start up but does a daily scan. i have a-squared free i run once in a while, window washer that cleans on start up and perfect disk that defrags and cleans up once a day. this could all change tomorrow if i get bored, but for now my computer runs perfect. another recommendation is bit defender 2008 internet security. $40 is an excellent price...

Collapse -
Free AntiSpyware
by cindersga / February 20, 2008 11:53 PM PST

Alice - I did just install AVG so what I hear you saying is ditch it for the free a-squared right? Also, I do have an older computer and I do have XP. So, since I have both of those obstacles you are saying that spyware doctor won't work??? I'm not against spending money to protect but, I have been told why buy when you can get it free. I'm not computer savvy but, I do want to protect what I have. Okay you purchased Kaspersky internet suite, spysweeper and spyware doctor right? These all work together??? You also use the free version of a-squared and is window washer and perfect disk free also or are they part of you paid products? What all does bit defender 2008 do? I am really ignorant at this so I know there will be lots of peeps out there laughing at me right now.

Collapse -
Alice was dead wrong...
by pro2go / April 12, 2009 7:32 AM PDT

As is true of anyone "in the know" about todays home computer technology. Simply stated, use peoples' opinions, try different programs and decide for yourself. People like Alice talk in "absolutes". As we all have seen, AVG Free 8.5 has taken the lead over not only being the most effective free anti-virus/anti-spyware software, but has been rated by several very reputable review sites as being incomparable.

Should you use a second or third layer of anti-spyware? Sure. One day these people will stop mucking about and put all pernicious programs into one category and stop creating "suites". When that day comes we will know that the developers who stop using "we need this for that, and that for this" have knuckled down and made the smart choice for the future. What do I mean? I mean that the creators of Operating Systems such as Windows, Mac, Linux etc. will create their own pre-installed "all-in-one" security program that will cost us all a modest fee per year to fund the updating of the innoculations.

So. Having said that, we are all fair game for "this is for that, and that is for this, marketing. But always keep in mind that a person who tells you outright DO NOT USES AVG or any other program with such passion, they are usually very naive about security and the Internet in general. Am I naive? NO! Am I absolute about my opinion of others? Absolutely! lol Meaning-----read, research and test and allow the "absolutists in computer technology" to voceferiously try and direct to or away from a security program----pride goeth before the fall. As I said, AVG Free 8.5 came out after this person told you to stay away from AVG----they are eating crow now. lol

Collapse -
Fix-It 8.0?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 8:21 AM PST

Cinders..

Is the Fix-It 8 you referred to the same as Avanquest's "Fix-It Utilities 8 Professional"? (I don't see just Fix-It Cool On the outside chance it is the same one you bought, it's described as being integrated with anti-virus and anti-spyware tools. The only reason I mention it is because if you have AVG (Anti-Virus) and Fix-It 8 Professional it would mean you have two A/V's installed. Something that's not recommended and could cause a problem, if you have both running at the same time.

A lot of "if's" ... but thought I'd ask "just in case"..
Carol

Collapse -
There are many choices Cinders see list.
by darclew3-2215827575258062 / February 19, 2008 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: Fix-It 8.0?

There is Spybot S&D v1.5.2, another is Ad-Aware 2007 v1.0.2.6 and there is one from Comodo BOClean 4.25 Anti-Malware. Their lastest firewall, Comodo Firewall Pro, has the other built in it. All four are on my computer. For the Updates for Spybot and Ad-Aware 2007, they are here in this forum listed so you won't miss those but Comodo's automatically updates and the Firewall will tell you there are updates available.
Another that is free on a trial basis is Grisoft's AVG Antispyware and it has Grisoft's AVG free Antivirus and that automatically updates. I am planning to purchase the AntiSpyware from Grisoft. There are many choices. Darrell

Collapse -
Choices
by cindersga / February 20, 2008 11:58 PM PST

Will these work with the Avanquest Fix-It-Utilisties 8.0 professional that is installed on my computer?

Collapse -
Yes 8.0
by cindersga / February 20, 2008 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: Fix-It 8.0?

Yes, you are correct. So I need to ditch the AVG and maybe use something else or do you think Avanquests 8.0 is good enough for anything that would come my way?

Collapse -
Fix-It 8 Pro and AVG running together not recommended..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 21, 2008 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: Yes 8.0

Cinder..

"More is better" doesn't hold true in the case of running two A/V's at the same time. The same with firewalls. It could very well be why you've experienced a slowdown. (Not necessarily, but it could be) Read THIS post. It's a simple to-the- point explanation of why it's ill-advised.

"So I need to ditch the AVG and maybe use something else or do you think Avanquests 8.0 is good enough for anything that would come my way?"

If you paid for it, I would wait and see if you get any responses to the post where you asked about it. I'm not familiar with it at all. Only on a personal note, I tend to shy away from software which proclaims to "do it all". If reviews make a difference to you, here's one. When making your decision, I would also look into the quality of their "support", considering how little I found out about it. It may seem like an insignificant consideration now, but won't be if you run into a problem in the future. (FWIW .. I see Avanquest has a small forum, but fail to find a sub-forum for Fix-it)

Best of luck to you..
Carol

Collapse -
More is better...
by cindersga / February 22, 2008 1:34 AM PST

Carol thanks for your wealth of knowledge and websites. I have printed out the post since it is 15 pages long to go over and study. I appreciate all help as I am so computer illiterate. You are right I have not had much support from Avanquest. I asked them several times about my pattern files being out of date with this 8.0 and couldn't get them updated. Finally, without any word from them, my pattern files were updated. Surprise Surprise!

Cinders

Collapse -
FixIt Utilities uses the TrendMicro ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 22, 2008 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: More is better...

antivirus and anti-malware.

Both are relatively easy on "system resources" and other than the large size of the signature updates have no real "cons" to hold against them.

If you already have them installed use them. If, after using them, you don't like them for some reason download ANY of the freeware AV products such as Avira or AVG or Avast then DISABLE or uninstall the Antivirus services FixIt provided then (after disabling or uninstalling) install the free one you want to try. If you don't like it try another until you find one YOU like and are comfortable with - what others swear by you might well end up swearing at!

Collapse -
You're quite welcome, Cinders..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 23, 2008 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: More is better...

Cinders..

You'll find many of the members willing and eager to help. Don't ever hesitate to ask a question, no matter how 'silly' you think it is. We've all been there at some point.

When you said you had AVG and Fix-It, I should have made sure you meant AVG anti-virus and not AVG anti-spyware. If it is the anti-virus you have installed, you're going to have to make a choice between the two. For the time being, what you might try doing is disabling Fix-It. Enable AVG and see how you feel about it in comparison to Fix-It. (There's no need to uninstall either yet, as long as both are not running at the same time) Once you make a choice, uninstall whichever you don't wish to use. If for some reason, you should decide you no longer want Avanquest's Fix-It and you bought it within the past 90 days, according to their website there's a money back guarantee. (Scroll down to the bottom of the page) Both have their advantages. In the end, it's going to have to be your choice. Please remember whichever you choose, it's imperative you keep current with the updates.

Lastly, at CNET's Computer Newbies Forum, there's a long thread title "A Few 'Tips' For Computer Newbies" at the top of page. It contains a wealth of information. (I'd think twice about printing it out, as you did the other. If you thought that one was long .. this one will be printing all night!)

Furthered good luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Made some changes!
by cindersga / February 24, 2008 10:26 AM PST

Okay Carol I did uninstall the AVG as I do have the Fix-It and it has been longer than 60 days. I did take in the forum on the antispyware/malware. I decided to install Spybot S&D which is very busy right now finding lots of serious threats. I also installed adaware and will run it after Spybot gets done.

Thanks for the hookup on the newbie forum. All this is so helpful to me. I may not understand it all but I am gleening so much. I'm trying to remember how I even found this site. I think I did a search for free virus/spyware/malware and came up with the MajorGeek site. I am so thankful for it! Thanks again. Cindy

Collapse -
Costs
by Willy / February 19, 2008 8:39 AM PST

Sometimes, it pays to buy good AV s/w in order to better protect your system. However, it does pay to observe operation as well. If kids persist in allowing some s/w to get through the defenses, it defeats the best protection you have in place. If you haven't already be sure that the kids accts. aren't 100% admin. privileges and only allow certain websites. Use the some s/w that does this via "nanny s/w" in order to better protect from malicious websites. If kids keep doing such, then cut/reduce access. Afterall, it can become a total failure if the wrong malware gets installed and it does happen regardless of good or bad intentions. So how much is your time worth if you have to correct or re-install OS s/w because of malware? The cost of commercial s/w in this light makes sense but pick freeware or shareware AV and check results and go from there.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Costs
by cindersga / February 21, 2008 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: Costs

I'm sorry ignorance here... What is nanny s/w and where do I access it? The problem I have is that my teens connect with each other through myspace and facebook. The cell phone and IM'ing are almost getting obsolete compared to these two vehicles. I dislike them both but my husband says let them use them. How can I let them use them and feel safe about what get's placed on my computer???

Collapse -
Nanny s/w
by Willy / February 23, 2008 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: Costs

Nanny s/w is the common name for any s/w that restricts certain websites or activity on the internet. Some of the better commercial firewall or internet security s/w provide similar results, however you have to review that, Norton or ZoneAlarm suite possibility. Also nanny s/w can be called filtering or parental controls s/w. Google away for such s/w to review or demo&trial. FYI - MySpace had some malware installed just by visiting a MySpace acct. that was infected, thus you needn'y even d/l anything, the attack already made it. MySpace has long corrected that but you see how malware can get nasty. sorry for the late reply

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Nanny s/w
by cindersga / February 24, 2008 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: Nanny s/w

Thanks for the explanation and I will check into it. Cindy

Collapse -
Avanquest Fix-It-Utilities 8.0
by cindersga / February 21, 2008 12:10 AM PST

This is what I have is it any good???

Collapse -
My 2 Cents....
by AtomosomotA / September 25, 2009 7:55 PM PDT

Up until about a year ago, the only protection I used on my computer was the Spybot/AdAware combo. I used these programs for almost 6 years without any problems and still use them once in a while, still, today. But things have changed. One day, I got a very bad virus on my computer. I went to use Spybot and to my surprise "Access was denied". AdAware worked but it found nothing. I started doing research, I downloaded AVG. I installed it, ran a scan and found the virus. I removed the virus..... Later the same day, out of paranoia, I ran another scan. The same virus was found again!! And not only that, the virus had installed a bunch of its little friends as well. I removed them with AVG.... Ran another scan... Removed them again!! They just would not go away..... I attempted to do some more research but, Internet explorer would not work. Access was denied! I went to run AVG again..... Access was denied to it as well.... Even in safe mode I could do nothing! It was horrible!! This virus rendered my computer useless... I went to a friends house and did more research. I found many different answers, many different ways to combat this... I ended up downloading about 20 different programs, (Combo-Fix, Dr.Webb, Hijack this, etc etc). Somehow, I hacked my way into the permissions and restored my privileges to use AVG again. Again I removed the viruses... I followed up with Spybot... and removed some more... I ran Iobit Antivirus and removed some more... Eventually, using many different antiviruses there was no more viruses!!! I was so happy and very proud of myself, it had been 5 days. The next day, to my horror, the viruses had created themselves again and now it seemed it was using AVG against me, Iobit showed that it had been infected, somehow altered, and yet again I was locked out of most everything. At this point the only thing I could do was to go back into safe mode and copy onto a flash drive as much of my files as I could fit before inevitably, after many days of stress, and lack of sleep, I finally broke down and reformatted my computer losing almost everything I had...

After I got windows all setup again I vowed that I would never let this happen again. I researched for weeks on this subject and found what works best for me.

This is my current setup:

1. Comodo Internet Security Suite Free (Firewall installed Only).
I found that the Comodo Firewall was one of the best Firewalls on the market and had been very reliable in ratings with many websites for the past few years. The rest of the Comodo Internet Security Suite although above average is not to par with many other Antivirus programs, but like I said the Firewall alone is Top Notch and allows you to decide if you want to let something in or not. This is usually done with guidance of course. A firewall such as this is a very important key in keeping your computer virus free. Used effectively it is all you need, but I wouldnt advise it.

2. Avast Antivirus Free
This in my opinion and many others is the best Antivirus program you can get free or not. Avira Antivirus though better at detecting viruses than Avast and AVG, scans your computer slower, is very unreliable at updating virus definitions, and is a bit heavier on system resources. But if I had to choose between Avira and AVG it would definitely be Avira for the Best protection and much lighter resource needs than AVG not to mention what AVG allowed a virus to do to itself... But I pick Avast over both of them!! Avast is very fast, very light on resources, updates itself automatically many times a day, and also on top of having the best (in my opinion) Virus detection next to Avira features real time protection for your computer and the internet, stopping almost anything that gets through Comodo firewall, (or that you allow through), dead, before it has any chance to hurt your computer.

3. I also keep a copy of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware handy just in case a trojan somehow slips through, because, (after the fact of course), I learned the virus I had was the dreaded Conficker Trojan and Malwarebytes is known to be able to destroy it.

Like I said, this is the best setup I have. There any many like it but this one is mine :). And I do strongly recommend it, but of course as you know there are many different opinions out there, and different setups work better for different people. So, be very picky!!!

Sorry for the long post, thank you for reading it and most of all, I hope it helps...

Heres a couple links for research (all free of viruses Happy
Firewall ratings: http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php
AntiVirus Performance Tests PDF: http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/performance/performance08a.pdf
An Antivirus Poll with common results: http://www.freewaremission.com/2009/08/best-free-antivirus-poll-report/
About.com: http://antivirus.about.com/

Collapse -
Your answer
by dancomedy / February 16, 2010 10:18 AM PST

Hi. I work for Comodo, a big Internet security software company. I like to use Lavasoft's Ad-Aware as a real-time shield and scanner, it is freeware www.lavasoft.com. I also use Malwarebytes as a manual scanner, it catches everything. I bought a license for Spyware Blaster and that runs in the background and stops most malware and spyware - it costs $10. Last, I use Avast for antivirus because it catches everything. Comodo's registry cleaner dramatically speeds up your computer by deleting registry key errors and other junk that wastes memory. It is also free wwww.comodo.com. The Yahoo! toolbar contains a very effective freebie also, Yahoo! Antispyware (little blue shield). Last bit of advice: Lock your computer and keep the kiddies off of it. They want to go on MySpace or whatever, let them save their pennies and buy their own laptops. It's YOUR computer, remember that. They are nothing but kids and, like my own teen, have no rights at all (lol).

Collapse -
to me,
by outgoinGSuck / February 17, 2010 2:48 PM PST

1. Spybot Search & Destroy - Firstly: the SDHelper and TeaTimer functions do help significantly in keeping downloaded spyware from actually rooting itself onto your drive. Secondly: the price is perfect. If you install Spybot as part of a multi-program defense, then definitely try this product.

and

2. Lavasoft?s Ad-Aware SE, Personal Edition - Their Ad-Aware product has won the trust of millions of users. Although it doesn?t have the nifty shredding and email opt-out lists of Spybot, Ad-Aware does perform realtime protection, and it auto updates its definition lists to remain current. Up until 2006, combining Spybot and Ad-Aware was the smartest (and the cheapest) way to defend your compute against spyware. Things are different now, because Number 1 below has set the high bar even higher for 2007.

Collapse -
Huh?
by putin-gma / October 12, 2010 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: to me,

Sorry, I'm not tech savvy, what is the "Number 1" you refer to that has set the bar higher since 2007?

Collapse -
This obviously is a ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 12, 2010 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Huh?

copy/paste job from some source from 2006 or 2007. The best you can do: skip it, don't read it, neglect it and such. It's irrelevant by now. Probably ALL other answers in this thread are more relevant than this one.

Jees

Collapse -
I think Advanced System Protector and AVG
by rosealison / June 29, 2010 6:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
My favorite
by kleddon / October 13, 2010 6:53 AM PDT

I have had great success with Superantispyware.com
and Malwarebytes.com. These are two great free softwares

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.