Camcorders forum

General discussion

what is the best camera for filming in night clubs?!

by Jersey CI Girl / October 22, 2009 10:44 AM PDT

help please! ok i have been researching this for months and i am still no closer to an answer.
i would like to spend under

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what is the best camera for filming in night clubs?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what is the best camera for filming in night clubs?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thank you for
by boya84 / October 30, 2009 1:07 PM PDT

having a healthy budget and doing research. Your list is good... I hope the mic budget is a different bucket.

Before I go to far, which Mac? Is there an available firewire port? How much RAM? External (non start-up) hard drive has how much available space? What CPU?

According to the exchange rate I found, your

Collapse -
lowlight performance
by Jersey CI Girl / November 2, 2009 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you for

hay thanks soz that list was in a bit of a panic i have done much more research since then mainly looking at the difference between 3ccd and cmos.
the mac i currently have is a macpro 17'' 2.8GHz intel core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card. i am currently looking at what is a better deal a mac pro or an imac as a static machine to take the brunt of the editing the laptop was only ment for work on the go.

Been looking at the JVC GY-HM 100U

it says its not the best in lowlight but clips i have seen show its ok but i have found none of it used in a club environment which is annoying as its the perfect size and spec for the job. but i want to see what it does before i buy.

Canon HV40
looks pretty good for a consumer/prosumer cam still not to sure havent spoke to anyone whos used one yet

i think what iv boiled down to is that i love my pro cams the PD170 i used to borrow was awesome but i have to think logically. For the price of one pro cam i could get a couple of consumer cams for specific jobs and have many camera angles at once. Also in a club environment even the smaller pros will probably be to big i cant get into the crowd with them. i think a decent pro will be a latter investment but thank-you for shortening my list i did realize after looking at it that i had but down in panic a load i had already crossed off. In reality i need good audio for interviews which i think the JVC will provide due to the two channel xlr inputs and good low light performance which i think the canon does better. please if there is one camera out there that does both and is small i would give my left leg.

As you know what you are on about i wonder if you have any info on the two above and a recommendation for mic, headphone and tripod. i have been recommended already to get a 3 level fluid head tripod and a 'road (spelt wrong i know) mic'. any other info you can give?

Thanks for all and any info

Collapse -
I guess I need some more clarifications...
by boya84 / November 2, 2009 11:20 AM PST
In reply to: lowlight performance

and I hope to provide some, too.

First... what you said:

"macpro 17'' 2.8GHz intel core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M"
A MacPro is a tower - so no 17" measurement. That sounds like an iMac.

"Better" (mac pro or an imac) depends on your requirements and budget. The current crop or iMacs can import HDV at real time (or better than real time - when I get to doing other stuff while importing, it may get a few % points behind real-time - then catch up. The current MacPro will do the same, the advantage for the tower will be render time whether titles, effects, DVD or computer readable video files.

The current crop of MacBook Pro laptops will also do real-time importing - and will have the same advantages of an iMac and the tower will still have the same advantages for rendering.

I have not used a JVC GY-HM100. Its specs look good - but that is all I know. It is not tape based, so expect all the same archive issues as with other flash memory or hard disc drive - but at least it does not use anemic AVCHD.

Check the lens filter diameter and imaging chip size. The single CMOS Canon HV40 is a fine consumer-grade camcorder. But it IS a consumer grade camcorder. 43mm lens filter diameter, small imaging chip. Compare that to the 72mm lens filter diameter and 1/3" imaging chips of the prosumer/pro cams. Bigger is WAY better and needed for capturing well in low-light environments. With most of the controls accessed via menu (not on the outsidide of the camcorder) and the small lens and imaging chip and the 1/8" (3.5mm) audio-in jack, the HV40 is purely a consumer cam and nowhere near prosumer (like the Sony HDR-FX7).

Mics:
What is your budget?

RODE makes good stuff. I like Shure, Audio Technica, AKG and Sennheiser better.

Headphones:
Sony "Professional" full muff are common.

Tripod and head:
Bogen Manfrotto... but it sounds like you are heading down a path there...

Collapse -
research update
by Jersey CI Girl / November 14, 2009 10:40 AM PST

hay oops soz i ment i have a macbook pro and those are its specs. Looking to invest in macpro tower for the upgrading capability's new imacs look great but need something i can almost future proof. i know nothing will ever be future proof but i figure the tower can be upgraded as the parts do. only thing on imac that can be upgraded really is the graphics and memory. only have the money once for a long time so figure i can save in the long run wiv a macpro tower. what do you think of my reasoning? am i on the right track?

As for cameras delved into this research at a slightly obsessive rate, need to stop lol.

Realized finally never gona get everything i want in one so i need two.

At the moment biggest issue is filming for my promo's in nightclubs think i have decided on a DSLR canon 7D. Haven't found any footage yet of it used in a full on nightclub with all the lights and lasers yet if you find one by chance please tell me. I understand its DSLR and not a video camera so i know my limitations especially with audio. but from what i have found out i think this could give me the best image and clarity in this environment. Your opinion on this would be gratefully received especially if you know of a vidcam that could do better.

Actual vidcam if i can afford it aswell i think i might go for the JVC due to the specs for its size mainly. unless someone else comes out wiv a better spec in that size range before i spend. This kit will be used for doc work and we all know for this work size is a real issue. Not to stresses about the tapes issue anymore as i think have the patience to make an archive, this theory as yet has to be tested. lol

Thanks for all your info it really has helped me clarify my search.

any new ifo you know on the JVC would defiantly love to know.

Collapse -
I am not aware of any "technology" that is future proof.
by boya84 / November 15, 2009 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: research update

Your MacBook Pro can deal with current high definition formats. When those change, we'll need to understand the computing power required to deal with the new stuff. At this point, I see "ultra high definition" (Red One and Scarlet and Silicon Imaging - among others) and 3D rendering requirements. If you don't see yourself going there any time soon, then your MacBook Pro is good for now. The biggest difference I see is that a tower will be a bit faster rendering while editing and exporting to video files or burning a DVD. But "future proofing"? Nope - I don't see it. Consider adding an external monitor to that MacBook Pro. Yu can re-use the monitor on a computer later. You will also want external hard disc drives to store the video project files. These can also be re-used with another computer, later.

Canon 7D is a good rig - but may mean carrying an audio field recorder (Zoom H4, M-Audio, Edirol, Fostex, Tascam, Sony and others).

http://vimeo.com/7369075
http://vimeo.com/7361969
http://vimeo.com/7138374

For the short and mid-term, I'll be sticking with my FX1.

Which JVC interests you? I don't know much about them, but the only ones that would make my short list are in the GY-HM series or GY-HD series...

I don't understand your comment about "Not to stresses about the tapes issue anymore as i think have the patience to make an archive, this theory as yet has to be tested"... if you don't use digital tape, how are you planning to archive the video you capture?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.