Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

What is the best Browser?

by bryanwellander / September 22, 2004 7:27 AM PDT

Hi,
I am wondering what you all think is the best web browser.
This is opinions not necessarily facts.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best Browser?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best Browser?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Strictly opinion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2004 11:31 AM PDT

I use both the latest Mozilla and Firefox.

Before someone pans that, consider that the kids machines don't have shortcut to IE and I've forced the use of Firefox. Some screams the first day as we added flash support but consider the results... It's been over a few months and scans with Adware/Spybot come up empty. Go figure.

Worthy of mention is AMAYA since it's a "standard" over at http://www.w3c.org

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Strictly opinion.
by gearup / September 23, 2004 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Strictly opinion.

But I agree 100%. Firefox is terrific and I too never find anything with AdAware or Spybot since using it!

Collapse -
by Rob Bond / October 21, 2004 11:24 PM PDT

I have the same results. When I used IE, I used to have upwards of 100 or more bugs a day when I would run Spybot/Adaware. I have been useing Firefox for about 6 months now and have not had even one bug the whole time. I find it amazing that an simple open source browser can achive this, while the might M$ has security issues almost daily it seems. I also like the full Mozilla browser, but mainly use Firefox. I would recommend it to everyone.

Peace,

Rob Bond

Collapse -
by freerollerjr / October 22, 2004 1:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Strictly opinion.

I also found that Firefox is safer and , most of the time, faster than IE.....I get a lot of bugs from the update site....I downloaded SP2 and it bundled a lot of junk and changed my search engine....Such a pain....

Collapse -
by lbier49 / October 22, 2004 9:01 AM PDT

Been using firefox for several months and agree with all the advantages it has over IE. Wish they would come up with a means to use/integrate the yahoo toolbar. Anyone know if someone is working on it.

larry

Collapse -
by LondonSmog / November 28, 2004 4:07 AM PST

Firefox is an amazing browser. Mine came bundled with a "mega" search bar, it is google, yahoo, dictionary.com, amazon, and many others grouped together. By changing the icon from one search logo to another, it functions as that particular toolbar... so yes, Yahoo is searchable with Firefox.

One thing that hasn't come up thus far is Opera. If FireFox helps to prevent spyware and tracking cookies from a system, Opera tries to ADD to the problem! I tried it for a day, the free version, and was absolutely amazed at how much damage that little browser did! Every page I visited planted cookies, well the browser did, in order that it could target adverts to what I was looking at... okay, but it was also recording my browsing habits in a file that kept getting bigger and bigger and it was opening processes that it shouldn't have been messing with. Haha. After that experience, I added a redirect on my website (http://www.deadrabbit.org) when it detects an Opera browser, urging the visitor to switch to something like FireFox.

Collapse -
Problems uninstalling Opera Browser
by danielm / July 25, 2005 8:55 PM PDT

I was wondering if you could help me. I've been trying to remove Opera since I've been using Firefox. Whenever I try to remove it is says that the installlog file can not be found. I've tried re-installing but it doesn't work.

Collapse -
Another way to uninstall opera (or any other program)
by spiderman11007 / June 30, 2007 5:59 AM PDT

You can try to download ccleaner. After you download it go to tools (in ccleaner) then go to uninstall; look for opera browser then wipe it of your computer.

Collapse -
If I run Opera
by Dragon / June 17, 2008 1:32 AM PDT

I'll click Tools; Clear private data, every time.

Collapse -
Mozzila AND Firefox?
by bengerszewski / June 6, 2008 11:10 PM PDT

isn't firefox made by mozilla? and firefox being their only browser? just thought i'd clear this up.

Collapse -
Not their ownly browser...
by John.Wilkinson / June 6, 2008 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Mozzila AND Firefox?

Firefox is by far their most popular browser, but they used to deliver the Mozilla Suite (targeted more towards developers and power users, some called it simply 'Mozilla') and currently work on both SeaMonkey (Mozilla Suite's replacement) and Camino (a special Mac OS X-only version).

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
RE: Mozilla AND Firefox
by imnottellin / October 13, 2008 7:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Mozzila AND Firefox?

Firefox mozilla and seamonkey are ALL different browsers, but you are right they are all PROGRAMED by mozilla, they are not the same, Firefox is better, seamonkey is in it's early stages but it looks like it will be a promising web browser IN THE FUTURE.

Collapse -
Re: What is the best Browser?
by vipergg / September 26, 2004 11:41 PM PDT

Mozilla and the latest Netscaoe 7.2 version which is based on Mozilla 1.7.2 code .
runs great , tabbed browsing , builtin popup blockers .

Collapse -
FWIW I like...
by glenn30 / September 27, 2004 12:45 AM PDT

And use IE for Microsoft updates only. Been using Mozilla l.7.3 for a while and recently installed Firefox 1.0PR. I really like Firefox for speed and lack of annoyances. After tweaking cookies to my liking the software seems very nice. I note that the final non-preview release is expected next month.

I suggest at least trying it... right now I have three browser. Will always keep IE for updates and either Mozilla or Firefox depending on future experience.

So try them and see what you like. Best of luck!

Glenn

Collapse -
delete IE??
by janielee7 / June 28, 2008 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: FWIW I like...

Should I get rid of IE if I am using firefox...

Collapse -
No...
by John.Wilkinson / June 28, 2008 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: delete IE??

Internet Explorer is needed by Windows Update (Windows XP and earlier), some websites, and a list of third-party programs (including the auto-updaters used by many internet security applications) in order to function. You can set Firefox as your default browser (it''ll automatically prompt you to do so), but it's strongly recommended that you do not attempt to remove Internet Explorer.

John

Collapse -
IE
by Grizzlybear1968 / July 28, 2008 1:19 AM PDT

Never delete Internet exploer,; although you may not want to use it you will need it for windows updates plus if you completly delete IE your computer may Crash

Collapse -
pika in da house
by pika523 / August 31, 2008 10:20 AM PDT

Well I think you should keep IE dormant by if you have Windows XP to go to the start menu and select "Set Program Access and Defaults" and select custom and press the down arrow. Them select the Browser you are currently using and select it as default. And as fastest Web Browser
I use Safari Browser.

Collapse -
Keep it.
by ExoKiller4 / October 12, 2008 1:59 PM PDT

You may need it for IE only pages, or for the use of IE tab.

Collapse -
Firefox
by JLP / October 8, 2004 4:51 PM PDT

Currently the best browser is Firefox. Right after it come Mozilla, Opera and Konqueror. Internet Explorer is the worst by far.

Collapse -
Re: Firefox
by timwerx / October 12, 2004 6:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Firefox
Collapse -
About Firefox...
by cnet1234 / August 5, 2005 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Firefox

So what do you do when it locks you out of your "profile" and it says "this profile is in use"?!

Collapse -
Profile in use...
by John.Wilkinson / August 5, 2005 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: About Firefox...

I have experienced this a few times...it can be pretty frustrating. It is a glitch that sometimes occurs in Firefox where it does not completely close after you press the X or go file->close. The remaining ''part'' continues to access your profile (Firefox uses profiles so that multiple users can use their favorites and preferences on a single Windows username, but by default, there is only one profile per Windows username), and won't let it be accessed by Firefox when you launch the program again.

You didn't mention your OS, but in Windows XP you can press ctrl+alt+del and under the Processes tab, select firefox.exe and press ''end process.'' Then just launch Firefox again and everything will be back to normal...until the next time.
------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure why this happens, but I've had much success on a permenent fix if you're willing to give it a try. First uinstall Firefox by using add/remove programs in the control panel. Next, delete the folder Firefox was installed to (usually c:\program files\firefox 1.0.x). After that, you'll have to delete your profile:

In Windows XP, go ''local drive:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles.'' You should see a single folder with random leters/numbers followed by .default...open it. Then copy BOTH ''Bookmarks'' (html file) and 'bookmarks.bak'' and paste a copy in your My Documents folder. Then delete the entire folder and reinstall Firefox.

The final step is to put your favorites (bookmarks) back. To do this, MAKE SURE Firefox is COMPLETELY CLOSED. Navigate to the new ''.default'' folder (will most likely be a new series of numbers/letters) and delete BOTH the ''bookmarks'' and ''bookmarks.bak'' files there. Then copy your backed-up bookmarks files (the two you copied to your My Documents folder), and paste a copy of them in the ''.default'' folder. Close the folder and launch Firefox...your bookmarks/favorites should be listed and the errors should be nonexistent.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. During this process, don't cut-and-paste...copy-and-paste only. That way in case something goes wrong, you'll still have a copy of your two bookmarks files saved in your My Documents folder. After the process is done, it's best to keep those copies as backups in case something ever happens to your bookmarks in the future.

Collapse -
best browsers
by jcjs333 / May 26, 2007 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Profile in use...

i just did 'iRider', 'Avant', 'Firefox' and 'Opera 9.21' and 'Opera' just edges out 'Firefox' which i used for awhile with Avant..whelp, to each their own..not going to go into the tests i ran but 'Opera' is a wee faster, doesn't hang or crash at sites like 'JoBlo's Movies' and can't beat the fun Widgets..i love the classic Windows 98 at look ... otherwise 'Firefox' is pretty darn close but , as far as i'm concerned , Opera 9.21 just edges all others out..years ago one had to accept Opera ads and pay for no ads but all is free and Opera , i think , is the best ... Firefox comes close..i don't think Opera is 'open source' though...john

Collapse -
addition
by jcjs333 / May 26, 2007 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: best browsers

forgot to mention..i'm about as unaware as one can get as to anything technical about computers..i just shared i've used IE, Avant, iRider, Opera 9.21 , Firefox and gave them all tiny tests mainly on speed, looks, hanging up, looks, features like Opera's cute 'Widgets', tabs and such...speed is essential for me and not to ever hang up...i rate Opera 9.21 1st and Firefox 2nd ... however, somebody mentioned there's 'no best browser' and i second that..i use Opera, Firefox and i'll put Avant back in pretty soon ... i never use IE directly or Outlook Express but i hear Avant is built on IE 6 not IE 7 but i just stay away from IE but i have all updates as soon as they come in...i have Outlook Express and IE insist on coming open sometimes when i connect to certain sites ... but i don't purposely use them...i have 'Sygate' firewall now Symantec owned and supported...i have 'Norton Anti Virus Corporate Gold' which constantly updates new engines and DAT files forever...i have 'Ace Utilities' which i couldn't love more but it does cost about $30 but it's way worth it cleaning out all old registries, files, shredding deleted recycle bin stuff which i thought didn't stay on your computer, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster, AdAware etc....all my browsers i use but Opera 9.21 the most..john

Collapse -
Best Browser
by gi0zgb / May 27, 2007 9:39 PM PDT
In reply to: best browsers

It's like the search for the holy grail, Opera is the fastest browser but has problems displaying pages on certain websites like Ebay for example. Firefox, some posts claim you don't get spyware with browser but I strongly disagree for I have found that not to be the case, nice little browser though. IE7, what can I tell you, better than IE6, slightly faster than Firefox in certain areas but Firefox has the better security. Safari for Mac is on par with Opera very nice browser, fast and pretty secure, the OS helps in this respect and so security rating my be a little misleading.
So my choice for Best Browser is Opera, not perfect by any means but it comes with great support forums and prompt action to address discovered security issues, they do not sit on their laurels.

Collapse -
i couldn't wait
by jcjs333 / May 29, 2007 6:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Best Browser

thanks..i installed Avant 11.5 RC3 and dumped all the rest...i just can't let it go..i won't even go into all it does that the others just won't do..it's as fast as any but works in all areas perfectly...little this and thats tick me off about Opera and Firefox but Avant, hands down, i'm sticking with...just too many reasons to go into...and probably 'to each their own thing'...john

Collapse -
Best Browser
by jortam20 / March 3, 2008 9:24 PM PST

I just downloaded Maxthon 2.0.8 as a browser and it is by far better than any other brower that I have tried. There isn't a single thing missing from the browser and the extras (there are a lot) are better than the extras on firefox and any other browser. I would go and try it because it is awsome. Another good thing is that it makes the internet connection faster. Go and get it now.

Collapse -
The glitch
by Dragon / July 29, 2008 7:11 AM PDT

Might be more to it than that, but I'm not the expert. After closing all FF windows, sometimes I run some program or other which requires FF to be closed. I get a message saying Firefox is still open. After running CCleaner, I'm OK. This is an intermittent problem, not one that happens every time.

Collapse -
FF not completely closing
by Dragon / August 1, 2008 9:18 AM PDT

I've had this problem occasionally. I tried running CCleaner just for the heck of it, and that worked. So it's cleaning something out that keeps FF "open."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.