Storage forum

Question

What is sfs file system?

by Magic-wand / December 10, 2012 7:59 AM PST

Why could WD Raptor 6G/s 500G Hard Drive only be partitioned as dynamic disk?

How do I partitioned it as basic disk?

This is a brand new disk but the disk ID shown as "sfs file system."

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is sfs file system?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is sfs file system?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
When a disk is new, out of the box.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 1:29 AM PST

I never use the file system it comes with. You can google what the SFS file system is, but why bother if we are going to use the file system of our choice?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
You needs state what?
by Willy / December 11, 2012 4:12 AM PST

If you have no need for SFS setup go woth the typical PC NTSF or Fat32 is you need it. Overall, doing this on the initial install, etc., will also set your HD for your usage needs. No need to over do this, just format(initialize) from your PC.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Typically, the hard disk ID should be 'empty'
by Magic-wand / December 11, 2012 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: You needs state what?

Thanks.

The problem is: only dynamic partition is available, basic partition is not allowed. I think the reason may be regarding to the existing of sfs system. However, the drive or its critical information will probably be destroyed if I remove the sfs system by using any harddrive tools.

I cannot choose between dynamic and basic partition under Windows or any other systems,
only dynamic partition available. This is the first time I face such problem.

Collapse -
That's news to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 10:53 AM PST

For decades I've removed all the partitions on new drives. Can you find a document to support your worries?

Bob

Collapse -
I just didn't understand...
by Magic-wand / December 11, 2012 1:31 PM PST
In reply to: That's news to me.

The ID of brand new hard drives usually 'empty' but this one is 'sfs system'. There must some tricks in it.
I don't know what will happen after it is removed or modified.

Collapse -
This would be the first time ever.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 1:35 PM PST

I can imagine folk that haven't done this before could get scared. Frankly I'd not give it any thought and prepare the drive just like the thousands before it.

Again, are you reading some web page about this or are you thinking this up?
Bob

Collapse -
Seems odd...
by Willy / December 14, 2012 1:53 AM PST

As Robert stated, you can under normal circumstances just format and be done with it. If there is some special firmware that came with this HD and "restricts" its operation to only work as SFS, then either this was shipped(label) wrong for again it fits the needs of a special device/equipment. One I can think of are DVR or media drives or maybe CNC machinery setup or unique OS or setup. If you brought this brand new, then return it as having in SFS defeats typical PC setups. But, unless as i stated it's "locked-in" in some way, it can be re-formatted. If this is what happens then return it. It could be some other problem besides SFS causing issue. if you can't use it, return it because too much time passes. Googling states it has Amiga as a setup or simple OS tasks.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.