Computer Help forum

General discussion

What is running in the background?

by smurfette62 / March 2, 2011 5:58 AM PST

I have noticed what when I play Jewel Quest (through iwin.com) and Farmville (through Facebook), my computer starts continually running like it is trying to download something. When I open the Task Manager, it shows a process called iexplore.exe that runs continually and slows my computer down. Should I stop this process from running?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is running in the background?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is running in the background?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
All I can tell you:
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 2, 2011 6:04 AM PST

iexplore is Internet Explorer. Doesn't seem VERY unreasonable.

- Can you explain what you mean if you say "it's continually running like it is trying to download something". How exactly does it run?
- How much CPU does that iexplore.exe use while it's trying?
- What happens if you play these same games on another PC. If it's the same, I'd say it's OK. If it doesn't happen there it might be wrong?

Kees

Collapse -
I wouldn't just yet.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 2, 2011 6:09 AM PST

iexplore.exe is Internet Explorer. If that is what you are using to play these games then ending that process will close IE down immediately.

If IE is using up a lot of CPU usage time even when you do not play those games, then there may be a problem with IE, and if so the most common cause is IE's Add-ons.

However, seeing your post in the Spyware and Viruses forum about all the security apps you are running, I wonder if there are already conflicts in the background.

Some web games are very browser intensive though, so the CPU usage you are seeing in the Task Manager for ie when you play these games may be normal.

Mark

Collapse -
CPU Usage
by smurfette62 / March 2, 2011 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: I wouldn't just yet.

It shows the CPU Usage hangs anywhere from 70 to 80 and the memory used is over 120K. There are 11 of this same process running at the same time when I go into these sites. Right now as I am looking at it, it isn't running much at all. Right now it says there are 77 processes running and anywhere from 4% to 11% CPU usage. But if I go into Farmville or IWIN, it shoots way up.

I was wondering if it could be Spybot and WinPatrol that is causing this so once I uninstall those programs, I will see if it fixes it at all.

Thank you so much!

Collapse -
I could understand 11 entries
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 2, 2011 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: CPU Usage

of iexplore.exe if you are using a number of tabs in IE, or if you have a number of different IE windows open. That might be normal s well.

Also, 120Kb of memory is reasonable.

If you do not have numerous tabs or windows open and you still get 11 iexplore.exe entries, then that might be a concern.

But I'm with you at the moment, now you have uninstalled Spybot and WinPatrol, see how the system behaves now.

Mark

Collapse -
Internet Usage
by smurfette62 / March 3, 2011 5:59 AM PST

Mark,

Well, I did remove both of those programs as well as a "PC Cleaner" program I downloaded a while back. It seemed to have made my computer run with less "lag" time but I still get the running in the background when I open the games.

It could just be my computer.

I appreciate your help.

Collapse -
We're on the right tracks then
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 3, 2011 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: Internet Usage

Getting better, but could do more?

Have a read of Grif's post below, and tell us the specs of your system, in particular how much RAM you have and how what CPU you have.

Which Windows OS are you using?

Mark

Collapse -
Computer Info...
by smurfette62 / March 4, 2011 1:48 AM PST

I have Windows XP 2002. It is an Acer with 1.81 GHz and 512 MB of RAM. Used space is 22.9 GB and free space is 49.3 GB. Capacity is 72.3 GB. This computer is quite old (as computers go). Probably about 5 years or so. What do you suggest? A 12 gauge or putting it out to pasture? (grin)

Thanks!

Collapse -
LOL. Neither.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 4, 2011 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: Computer Info...
Happy

With 512 MB of RAM the system will struggle. Its amazing how fast an XP computer with 512 MB of RAM performs when it is first started, but over time the amount of software installed, and the large number of Windows Updates, and such things, and that RAM will begin to struggle over time. In particular as we add security applications to protect our computer from hackers, viruses and other malware, they all demand more from memory.

The 1.8 GHz processor is not fast, but there is little you can do about that other than installing a new motherboard.

However, adding RAM, cheap nowadays compared with what it was 5 years ago, and going up to something like 2 GB, will make an instant impact, and you will notice a difference immediately.

Adding RAM is not something I know much about, but I know you have to be careful what RAM is added. If you are resident in the US, Crucial.com will scan your system online and tell you how much RAM your system can take, and which RAM they recommend;
http://www.crucial.com/?click=true

Just fill in the details at the top, and let Crucial help you, "find guaranteed-compatible memory for computers and motherboards".

One other thing, the Yearly Clean out.

For a Desktop, Clean up your grungy PC

For a Laptop, Bob's post in the link below;
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-19681_102-3196452.html

Mark
Collapse -
iexplore.exe & CPU usage
by M4RiE / March 31, 2011 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: CPU Usage

If those are browser programs, iexplore.exe will show as running in the Task Manager. If you end iexplore.exe and your games close, you will know those are browser games.
If you uninstalled Spybot and WinPatrol, which are two separate and different programs from your games, you will have uninstalled important security protection for your computer, and should reinstall those right away.
danmeyer's post at the bottom of this thread includes a link to a great way to view how your computer is running programs, if you're interested in gaining a more comprehensive knowledge on that.
Good luck!

Collapse -
Sounds Normal...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 2, 2011 6:25 AM PST

Such games really use a lot of memory/resources on the computer and most of that goes through Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe) Truthfully, it IS downloading something.. All the data needed to run the game.

Add more RAM, a bigger processor, and more bandwidth and it will help the issue but that means money...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Process Explorer
by danmeyer / March 4, 2011 12:42 PM PST

There is a free utility program from Microsoft called Process Explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653. It is the Task Manager on steroids. With this program you can find out detailed information about any running task, which programs are eating up your memory or hogging your CPU, you can also see if a program has "memory leak" (a program running on your PC reserves some of your computer's memory for itself, and then loses track of it. The net effect is that the program loses the ability to release that memory for other programs to use. It can slowly eat up more and more of your system's memory until there's little left for any other programs). An excellent tutorial on how to use Process Explorer is here: http://media.ask-leo.com/ebooks/introtoprocexp.pdf by Leo Notenbloom.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.