Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

what is Nintendo up to?

by Sandman-ivan / October 18, 2010 8:18 AM PDT

has anyone heard anything about Nintendo working on a main console?

i know they have been updating there DS. Expect for the extra wiimote items i have yet to hear anything like a updated system.

it just seems Nintendo isn't trying too hard with the Wii lately, wile the other systems has at lest updated there whole system at least once, Nintendo isnt doing to much.

with the new interactive game play (like PS3's Move) now coming out the Wii doesn't seem like a competitor.

even when i had my old Wii it felt like a updated Gamecube.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what is Nintendo up to?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what is Nintendo up to?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nothing much
by Jimmy Greystone / December 4, 2010 1:40 AM PST

Nothing much. None of the major console makers are. And while Sony and Microsoft have managed to slim down their consoles, the Wii is essentially already about as small as it's going to get. Most of the physical dimensions are dictated by the size of the optical game discs. There's only so small they can make the thing.

And really, people keep buying the Wii in droves. Maybe not quite as briskly as a couple years ago, but they're still selling pretty well, so why disrupt the gravy train with a new console until sales start tapering off a bit?

They are undoubtedly working on a successor to the Wii, but are in no hurry to bring it to market. But the Wii is really aimed at a completely different market from the PS3 and 360. It's aimed at the casual gamer, who just wants to pick up a game, play it a little while, and that's it. The PS3 and 360 are for people who are a bit more serious about their gaming. It sounds to me like you just are expecting the Wii to be something it isn't.

Collapse -
well
by Sandman-ivan / December 4, 2010 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Nothing much

that gravy train has many stops. i mean there trying to make bundle packs because they dont want to drop the price. there sales keep falling and they know exactly why, but they are too afraid of fixing the big issues like adding HD technology to there system, or add DVD/BluRay player, improve the community/friends controls, independent HDD(able to swap memory (not counting the SD cards)).

i mean there is a lot of things they can do. hell if they even do one of the things i list they can bump up the price and sell more units they have all year.

Collapse -
Except
by Jimmy Greystone / December 4, 2010 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: well

Except that consoles are supposed to be fixed platforms. Developers are supposed to be able to rely on the fact that the hardware will not change significantly.

Microsoft and Sony could have easily put in faster CPUs, more RAM, you name it, but they don't and won't. Otherwise you ruin the consistency that is the primary selling point of a console.

Nintendo chose to create a simple game console, not some bloated do-everything media convergence device like Sony and Microsoft. They aren't going after the same market segments really, though after seeing the huge untapped potential that Nintendo found with the Wii, all of a sudden Sony and Microsoft had to come out with their own Wii-like add-ons. Now about 5 years later, they're finally coming out.

Nintendo has been laughing all the way to the bank these last 5 years. Their competitors were taking it on the chin with each system sold, while Nintendo took a much more conservative approach and had a system that was profitable from day 1. The high price of their competitors helped drive sales, and allowed Nintendo to keep that high initial price much longer. They haven't had to redesign the console to weed out inefficiencies, because they designed the thing with no inefficiencies to begin with. To this day, it still makes the "slim" versions of the PS3 and 360 look pretty pudgy. All it was ever intended to be, was an upgraded GameCube, and that's what it does beautifully. It was never intended to be this end all game console, and frankly I'm betting Nintendo was fully expecting to have a replacement console out by now, but the fact that Sony and Microsoft are in no rush means they don't have to be either. Nintendo is sitting on an absolutely MASSIVE cash stockpile for a company its size. And frankly, console sales have been down across the board. There's a worldwide recession going on in case you hadn't noticed.

The crux of the problem for you, is you are stuck thinking about things as a zero-sum game. You just cannot seem to wrap your head around the idea that the Wii was never intended to compete head on with the PS3 and 360. Nintendo learned its lesson with the GameCube, and decided to forge its own path. They happened to strike gold in the process, tapping into an absolutely huge market no one knew existed.

From what you've said, the Wii isn't the console for you, so don't concern yourself with it. Enjoy your PS3 and/or 360. Why do you need other people to validate your opinion? Isn't it enough that you like something? Go play your PS3/360 and don't worry about what Nintendo is or isn't up to.

Collapse -
personally
by Sandman-ivan / December 4, 2010 7:53 AM PST
In reply to: Except

i do like the wii, but really only for the very small list of there good games. and it makes for a good all Nintendo system.

but i had a wii and had to sell it off and now im planing on getting a PS3

Collapse -
So what's the problem?
by Jimmy Greystone / December 4, 2010 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: personally

So what's the problem? Get a PS3, be happy, and let people who have a Wii be happy with that. I enjoy my 360 for some of the games unique to it, and my PS3 for the same reason. I don't have a Wii, because like you, there are very few games that interest me. Still doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of people out there very happy with their Wiis. I say let them be happy, what's it to me? Let people with no lives debate which console is best, I'll be over here using whichever system has the game I want to play at the moment.

Collapse -
its just
by Sandman-ivan / December 4, 2010 1:43 PM PST
In reply to: So what's the problem?

well im not trying to make this into a huge fight that it seems your seeing it as.

im just trying to see of Nintendo is willing to give an close to outdated system a update.

Collapse -
Like I said
by Jimmy Greystone / December 5, 2010 12:09 AM PST
In reply to: its just

Like I said, they're not trying to compete head on with the 360 or PS3, so the first thing you need to do is stop looking at it as a 3-way battle royal. Sony and Microsoft went one way, Nintendo went another. It's like trying to say that the Toyota Camry is an outdated car because it can't compete against a Formula 1 car on a race track. They're designed with very different goals in mind.

You can thank/blame Microsoft and Sony for this. They spent so much money on their respective consoles, that it's taking them more than the traditional 5 years to recoup those costs, and Nintendo can simply ride the wave.

It costs a lot of money to market a new product, so why spend all that money when sales of the existing product are still pretty good and your competition isn't doing anything to apply any pressure? You have to think like a business, and businesses are very single-minded. They want to make money, end of story. That is their whole reason for being. Every action they take is financially motivated. Either maximizing profits or minimizing losses. The sooner you come to grips with that, the sooner things like this will start making sense.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.