E-readers

General discussion

What is next for e-Books?

by jgreg7 / June 29, 2010 2:11 AM PDT

Are e-books becoming obsolete? I have been searching for a reliable method to manage my e-books, but most of the e-book forums I have looked in, have not had a new post in years.

I started reading e-books with Microsoft Reader on my Pocket PC back in 2000. My MS Reader library has 138 books in it. In 2005 I switched to eReader format (eReader.com) since the MS Lit books were being discontinued. My eReader library now has 171 books in it. When I retired my Pocket PC, I changed to an iPod touch with the eReader software on it. This works very well.

I am now facing the next round of obsolescence since my preferred supplier of e-books ? Fictionwise ? appears to be going out of business (well, at least they have discontinued all of the authors I normally prefer). Apparently all of the e-book suppliers seem to think once you read a book you then throw it away.

However, occasionally I like to go back a re-read some older books. Kind of like listening to your favorite songs over again.

I tried to buy e-books from Barnes and Noble (who incidently claimed compatibility with the eReader software), however it does not seem possible to read these on my eReader software, they want me to download yet another reader ?BN eReader?.

In looking to find a suitable source for e-books, I have found there are many competing readers, eReader software, and book formats. It seems like everyone wants to try to be different. I have a considerable investment in e-books, and now it seems will be obsolete very soon based upon the whims of the e-book industry.

So, to my question? What next? I would like to have a reader that can read any of the e-books I already own, and to be able to purchase more e-books in a compatible format. Is there a common format that all of these books could be converted to so I can continue to read them? (like MP3 for music?).

If so, how do I convert my existing e-books to the new format?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is next for e-Books?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is next for e-Books?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Topic vesus content.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2010 2:31 AM PDT

Your topic is what's next but in your post you want to convert what you have. So let's cover both.

1. What's next is the same story we saw in the land of MP3. I expect ebooks to decimate the printed book business now that ereader hardware has matured.

2. Given newer readers handle unprotected PDFs with some ease that's what is next for those that don't want to be locked down. But the publishers and authors know this is a sure way to never see a dime for their works.

3. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20006383-37.html in short iPad. Let me add that my kindle books showed up without a fuss and no need for conversion.

4. In conclusion, you appear to want PDFs.
Bob

Collapse -
I don't mind paying, but I want to keep what I buy....
by jgreg7 / June 29, 2010 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Topic vesus content.

Thank you for your reply.

To get around all of the proprietary music file formats, I still buy the CD and convert the music to MP3. That gives me portability as the playing devices become obsolete. However, that plan does not work so well with books?.

As for PDF, how do I convert the books I purchased to PDF? They all seem to be in a secure file format.

As for the iPad? while this is a great device, however I prefer my iPod touch for portability. Do the Kindle books require a specific program to read them? Or can the be read using commercial software such as adobe? I am trying to avoid yet another proprietary software.

I started reading e-books with Microsoft Reader on my Pocket PC back in 2000. My MS Reader library has 138 books in it, which I can not access since I retired my Pocket PC (and my e-book supplied stopped selling in the MS Lit format). I now have 171 books in the eReader format (eReader.com) that I would like to be able to access.

My goal is to have a single library, accessible from a single software.

Collapse -
Your goal, their goal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2010 3:22 AM PDT

Frankly, ask them for a reader for your machine. I found one person that would not try any suggestion. Very odd fellow.

Anyhow, just like what you discovered in the CD/MP3 solution you want to migrate to a more open solution like PDF.
Bob

Collapse -
Not Another Format
by jgreg7 / June 30, 2010 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Your goal, their goal.

Thank you for your response.

Barnes and Noble has a reader for my iPod touch, however, what I want to avoid is having to build a new library in yet another format.

This puts my library completely at the mercy of the whims of the book seller when they decide to upgrade, or do away with their reader. I already have 138 books in the Microsoft Lit format that I will never be able to read again unless I buy them a second time.

I do not mind paying for the book once, but then I should be able to keep it, and convert it to another format when I need to.

Is there any way to convert these secure books to another format? Or obtain a reader program that supports multiple ebook formats?

Am I the only person that sees a problem with the current system? It seems that wherever I look people are simply converting to the device of the day.

Collapse -
PDF is not another format.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2010 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Another Format

It's the same one I used for over 10 years. I hear you but I avoided this (almost) with the Kindle being the exception. The Kindle is sadly going away and we'll get the ipad which gets us the few books we picked up on amazon without fuss.

Yes, it feels like the VHS, CD, MP3 story all over.
Bob

Collapse -
try this one
by juno4x470 / June 19, 2011 10:57 AM PDT

the program is "Calibre" .....Google it . it will convert several formats to the one you might need. Watch the tutorial video...
I love it
I know your message is a year old but...maybe someone will be able to use it...even now, I do

Collapse -
What's Next?
by ottista55 / July 21, 2011 2:26 AM PDT

I disagree that e-books will completely decimate the book industry, although it clearly will have major changes. I don't think it will entirely sink like the music industry is in the midst of doing. The next big thing, though, may be more interactive experiences using new tablets and e-readers. Most things out like this now are too gimmicky, but the possibilities, especially for non-fiction works, are basically endless and endlessly promising.

Collapse -
In the news. Borders closes up shop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2011 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: What's Next?

At what point do you call it decimated?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.