Computer Help forum

General discussion

what is mrvlUlusgtracking

by mrbobbyd / October 27, 2008 2:05 PM PDT

hello; I've been trying to find what mrvlUsgtracking is. All I can find is that It's from Software Informer but no one will tell what it is please help and should I delete it. I also tried Google but no answers.Thank you ,Bobbyd

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what is mrvlUlusgtracking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what is mrvlUlusgtracking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The elusive function of mrvlUsgTracking - Does ANYBODY know?
by wmyers822 / May 6, 2010 6:39 AM PDT

I too see the program mrvlUsgTracking in my "Add/Remove Programs." I know I did not download/install it. I'm not experiencing any problems or performance issues. Just curious. My curiosity was piqued by the use of Usg Tracking in the name. I first did a Yahoo search. Then I did a Google search. Then I did a Wikipedia search. Results were strangely ...elusive or smokey. Not a very technical description, but then neither was the content of any search returns very technical. The extremely sparse results from all of my searches pointed to either Marvel, or Software Informer. If my search results weren't very illuminating, Marvel's and Software Informer's information was positively chilling. Not one word about what this product does. Just that it is used by customers. Who? For What?
Good enough reason for me to uninstall it. Which I did. If it is a virus or trojan or malware, I don't know what it did or continues to do.
One last word...I did a CNET search, because I rely on CNET for a good bit of my technology information. The results were exactly like everything else I saw. Nada.

Collapse -
Thanks Grif. Two examples of what I am talking about
by wmyers822 / May 7, 2010 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: I Find This From CNET

Thanks Grif for offering those two sites.

The CNET site only says that it's developed by Marvell and used by alot of software and hardware vendors. It then offers an answer to the wrong question. It suggests some speculative registry hacks or a remove and watch what happens approach. The question is not HOW do I remove this. The question is SHOULD I remove this. What is it?

The Google site offers a non-review review from Software Informer, telling us that it is used by over 31,000 users and it will be reviewed by an "informer" soon. Software Informer's "review" doesn't mention what the product is or what it does.

By the way, Marvell doesn't have a web site. So I guess that adds a secondary question, at least for me: How and who installed a piece of software on my PC which is developed by a software developer who doesn't have a web page and won't disclose what their product is or what it does. But they do offer it for download.

This is my first post to this site. Thanks for all the good posts and next time, I'll keep it shorter.

Collapse -
Whether To Remove Or Not Is Your Choice
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 7, 2010 9:03 AM PDT

And Marvell DOES have a website where it explains its various products. Unfortunately, it doesn't list all the subprograms/drivers that are installed with their software. Here's the link:

http://www.marvell.com/

Have you checked your computer in C:\Program Files to learn the where it came from, etc.? (Check "readme" files and such.)

But nothing is more suspicious than a website that says so little about it's own software.. Personally, I'd remove it simply because the title refers to tracking.

As best I can find, the program monitors usage and a common installer of such is Hewlett Packard printer software plus Marvell networking products.... None of the sites I found indicate any problems when the program was uninstalled. And as stated in the header, it's your choice to remove or not..

Sorry, but it appears a number of programs install the tracker and only you can determine exactly where it came from.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Removal of Mrvlusgtracking....
by cupcax / November 7, 2011 6:28 AM PST

Hi,

I removed this program successfully from my computer. I'm having 'NO' problems.

Collapse -
mrvlUlusgtracking is a gift from your HP Printer
by justusderdv / August 10, 2011 6:54 AM PDT

I don't usually take the time to give my two cents, but I couldn't find the answer to your question anywhere on the Internet and I hope the next guy finds this. I keep my laptop ultra stark when it comes to Programs. So after I installed an HP printer we bought for travel, I immediately went to Control Panel to expunge Bloatware. Sure enough, there it was. And, perhaps more importantly, after uninstalling mrvlUlusgtracking, the printer still works fine. So there you go.

Collapse -
It is published by Marvel and ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 11, 2011 5:19 AM PDT

used by multiple hardware and some software manufacturer's. For instance the D-Link network Installation Package and Marvel Wireless cards use it.

You might want to look around your computer and peripherals to see what might have used the marvel software. Try a search of your computer for mrvl*.* and see what you find and where you find it to get a better idea. You could also look in your registry at the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall key then look at the mrvlusgtracking sub key to see if you can find the application path and other information pertaining to it.

Alternatively, uninstall it and use the computer until you find what doesn't work that used to then re-install it if necessary - this empirical solution would be my last and least favored recommendation and only for the adventurous.

It just sits there and creates a log file, so leaving it in should not hurt anything.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.