PC Applications forum

General discussion

by ronalds173 / February 4, 2008 8:05 AM PST

I am not sure this is being posted in the correct forum but in going through my ADD/REMOVE folder I found a program (and several add-ons) for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. In checking this out, all I could find out is that it appears to be for programming. I don't do any programming so I don't believe I need it for anything. However, I am somewhat reluctant to delete it without getting more info. So, if someone can tell me what it's for I would greatly appreciate it!

Discussion is locked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WHAT IS MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK 2.0 & WHAT IS IT NEEDED FOR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2 links
by PudgyOne / February 4, 2008 5:18 PM PST
Collapse -
by ronalds173 / February 5, 2008 1:09 AM PST
In reply to: 2 links

Thanks for the quick response! I will definitely be keeping it.

Collapse -
.net 3.5 is also available
by Dango517 / February 15, 2008 3:50 PM PST
Collapse -
Net Framework 2.o
by Schwartz1 / February 15, 2008 9:46 PM PST

I am not sure but I belileve Net Framework has something to do with Microsoft Office. I had trouble with Net Framework and removed it from add/remove programs. I have had no trouble with office not performing as it should

Collapse -
I did not see anything
by PudgyOne / February 16, 2008 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: Net Framework 2.o

listed that it was needed for Microsoft Office. Under system requirements, for Microsoft Office 2007, it doesn't say that it is needed.

The statement was made that it is needed for some programs to function properly. Most of these programs will state if net framework is needed.

Collapse -
I think you don't need it
by Rising Aquarian / February 18, 2008 2:01 PM PST

if u are not intersted in programming, i think you don't need it at all. Deleting it will not affect your other programs unless you yourslef have developed some programs using it.
So you can delete it safely if it's not so.

Collapse -
Microsoft.NET Framework
by Donald McLeod / January 20, 2010 9:22 AM PST

I am not a programmer. Can I uninstall all versions of the program without causing me any hard?

Collapse -
by John.Wilkinson / January 21, 2010 3:30 AM PST

Some programs require the .NET Framework to function. Thus, you can only uninstall the .NET Framework if you know you do not have/use any programs that require the .NET Framework. If you're unsure, it's best to leave it installed.

Collapse -
.NET Framework requirements
by somrscov / March 10, 2011 2:13 PM PST
In reply to: Perhaps...

I tried to install Driver Detective and it said I needed .NET Framework 2.0. to install. Is there a similar program out there that doesn't need that program? It's kind of big for a dial-up user, and I'm getting low on system resources.

Collapse -
Why do you need Driver Detective?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 12, 2011 6:38 AM PST

If you have any problems with drivers, go to the makers site (the makers of the hardware that it) to download the latest version.

Collapse -
Driver problems
by somrscov / March 12, 2011 1:47 PM PST

I bought a used IBM NetVista computer and it came with XP Pro. It doesn't seem to have the correct device drivers. I have several devices in Hardware Manager with the yellow question marks. One being my VGA. I've tried a flat panel and a regular monitor, and can't set the resolution or the color quality higher that 8 bit. Also my Display Adapter heading is missing under Device Manager. I've tried downloading and installing device drivers for both types of monitors to no avail. My vanilla 56K modem is also not working, but has a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager. I thought Driver Detective would help me out. I didn't get any XP CD's with my PC. I don't know if it's a BIOS problem, XP problem, driver problems, or hardware problems. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Collapse -
You need graphics card drivers...
by John.Wilkinson / March 12, 2011 2:18 PM PST
In reply to: Driver problems

You need to reinstall the drivers for your graphics card, not a particular monitor. You need to identify the graphics card that's installed and visit the manufacturer's website to download the latest version for that card. (IBM's website may offer a direct download if you search for your model number; likewise for your 56K modem.) Windows XP and hardware problems are also possible, but you can rule out a BIOS issue.

Collapse -
Driver Problems
by mystical pippin / March 13, 2011 1:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Driver problems

somrscov - it sounds like you may need drivers but also more than that. Since you're dealing with an older OS (XP-Pro) you should get help from Microsoft.

here is a link to device drivers for XP

.Netframe is an essential systems execution software. It's needed to install some programs and/or run others. Plus Microsoft uses it for some functions on their sites. I think you're getting a message that says to install the 2.0 service pack - if so, you're going to need that - there's no getting around it.

AND IT SHOULD NOT BE REMOVED. There may be a problem with it but that can be fixed. The only time you should remove it is if you're installing a newer version - immediately. Make sure you get that service pack 2.0 or IF you're hardware can handle it download the current version of .Netframe

Here is .Netframe Link

here is link for XP How To's

You may need to install drivers for your graphics card like John said but it could also be the graphics card itself since this is an older, used pc. If I were you, I would be pretty mad at the seller unless he/she informed you of all these issues - because selling a pc that doesn't run properly or at least have all the components and drivers it came with - is BOGUS.

Make sure you have the correct SERVICE PACK installed you will most likely need to have Service Pack 3 on there but you can find that out at link above.

Finally, Make sure you have a legitmate XP OS installed on your pc. If you don't then GET YOUR MONEY BACK.
Good Luck

Collapse -
But if you want to download .Net 2.0
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 12, 2011 6:42 AM PST
Collapse -
Should work according to ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 12, 2011 6:44 AM PST
Collapse -
by sgulati89 / April 8, 2010 8:35 PM PDT

Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 is a system software and is part of windows operating system and it is integrated in Windows Vista and Windows 7 because all the latest softwares that are desinged for windows are most probably based on it and they will not get installed without this for example Kodak All In Printer Software.

It is not only used for programming however it provided programming codes for managing these softwares and if you are using Windows Vista and Windows 7 please never ever try to remove this because it can crash your operating sysytem also or if you are using windows XP, I would suggest you not to remove it.

Sourav Gulati

Collapse -
WIn7 64-bit - - .Net Framework vs Microsoft Office 2007
by 1SG-Bud / November 8, 2010 3:10 AM PST

Thanks for your knowledge and guidance. Perhaps you could educate me on an "Error 1935" when I attempt to install Microsoft Office 2007 on a Gateway NV78 Laptop running Windows 7; a 64-bit system.

I verified that .Net Framework is installed with netfx_setupverifier.exe. It verified all 3 versions as being installed. Sadly, I listened to poor advice and had uninstalled the .Net Framework so I could reinstall Office 2007. Now, I'm stumped... My goal is to reinstall Office 2007 but the Error 1935 is tenacious. Of course, to exacerbate my problem, Gateway did not provide any software media of any sort with this great laptop.

How can I eliminate this 1935 error and reinstall Office? My grateful thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Re: Office setup 1935
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 13, 2011 5:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Microsoft.NET Frameworks 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 all installed - WHY?
by EvolvingScene / April 21, 2012 11:01 PM PDT

Hi, having read most of the threads, I am still wondering why all these versions - Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 SP2, (185MB) Framework 3.0 SP2 (179MB), Framework 3.5 SP1 (28MB) all have been automatically installed in my laptop (XP), and whether it is safe to uninstall all but the latest version? I am seriously short of disc space.
Thank you all for your contribution.

Collapse -
Here it was always safe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2012 12:34 AM PDT

I can always reinstall if it is required.

Collapse -
Agree with Bob
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 22, 2012 4:59 AM PDT

but if you are short of disk space you will need to find other solutions. Uninstalling .Net Framework is unlikely to give you more than a few Mb of hard disk space.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.