Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Resolved Question

What is is fastest browser?

by xguy03 / September 8, 2011 8:06 AM PDT

I already have Google Chrome for one browser and the other is IE9 which is slow and crashes a lot. I read Cnet reviews and it was the editor's choice. After reading user reviews they seem to be experiencing the same problems. I also read Firefox 6 is a top choice but after reading user reviews, they weren't too good. I have windows 7 64 bit and could have sworn I had IE8 which I loved (before the pc crashed), but went to download it and it didn't mention it was for windows 7.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

xguy03 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is is fastest browser?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is is fastest browser?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by xguy03

Collapse -
Speed. Pure speed, nothing but?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2011 8:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: Lynx
by xguy03 / September 8, 2011 11:08 AM PDT

Thanks for the link but couldn't find if it's compatible with Windows 7 64 bit.

Collapse -
I don't think you would like it anyway
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 8, 2011 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Lynx says "Lynx is the text web browser".

That seems to say no graphics, no rich content.

Chrome is fast. Firefox is fast. But with both and probably with all browsers, the more add-ons you use the more work the browser has to do.

What have you tried so far?

Collapse -
by Flatworm / September 9, 2011 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Lynx

Lynx is the old University of Kansas text-based web browser for VT100 compatible terminals. Sure it's fast. It doesn't employ actual graphics.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2011 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Lynx?
Collapse -
Re: IE8
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 8, 2011 9:36 PM PDT

You can't download IE8 for Windows 7, because Windows 7 already comes with it. The only regular way to lose it is that you did the upgrade to IE9.

It's easy to go back to IE8. In Control Panel, uninstall IE9 and you will have IE8 again. But slowness and crashes generally are caused by add-ons you installed or malware that installed itself, and all of those will be taken over by IE8 once it becomes active again. If you remove those you'll see IE9 is quite reliable and quite fast. Let's say: as fast and reliable as Firefox 6 and Chrome.

Collapse -
RE: Browser
by xguy03 / September 8, 2011 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: IE8

Mark I think I tried all. I didn't like the format on firefox- too much stuff.

Kees B, Shortly after I posted Yahoo popped up and I tried the "new faster Yahoo and E9". So far it is pretty fast.

Thanks for all the help!

Collapse -
Chrome and IE9...
by Doh_1 / September 9, 2011 11:28 AM PDT

I'm an old-line Firefox user, but I've given up on Firefox now that they've stopped supporting old versions and are going through new versions so quickly...Chrome at least is self-updating, and is relatively fast and secure. I also use IE9, and find that also to be fast and secure. I don't know what people here are talking about with slowdowns with IE9, it always seems fast to me.

Collapse -
firefox good
by mmorpgplayer / September 9, 2011 5:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Chrome and IE9...

I like firefox, it can supports

Collapse -
all online browser
by mmorpgplayer / September 9, 2011 5:12 PM PDT
In reply to: firefox good
Collapse -
It's not over 'till the fat lady sings....Opera
by olygenius / September 10, 2011 4:41 AM PDT

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Opera!! I first started using it for my phone, then later for the desktop. LOVE IT!!! From what i've read it's either on par with chrome or in a close second. i highly suggest reading up on it. one of my fav. features is the "mouse gestures," which allow you to; go back, forward, home, etc. by holding down right click and sliding mouse in a direction. or, hold cntrl and click will instantly bookmark. CHECK IT OUT!!

Collapse -
you can turn to avant browser .....
by yogayoga111 / September 18, 2011 5:39 PM PDT

You can turn to avant browser
It is more stable than chrome and use less memory.
Try it

Collapse -
by xguy03 / September 18, 2011 11:22 PM PDT

Thanks guys for all your help. After installind and uninstalling OS and Adobe Flash, I finally- accidently found my problem. My Active X filtering was checked so now I can play video. Blush

Collapse -
Other Factors with Browsers
by oceanguy2821 / September 19, 2011 10:20 AM PDT

I think one has also to factor in other problems that affect browsers such as any applications that use bandwidth and run in the background. These applications could include antivirus software that self updates, network monitoring tools, and sometimes malware.

Collapse -
What about SlimBrowser?
by oceanguy2821 / September 19, 2011 10:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
I just downloaded Slim Browser
by Chigal48 / September 19, 2011 10:08 PM PDT

It seems to be a skin over IE. But it is fast. Time will tell if it's reliable.

Collapse -
I had to disable and uninstall Goog Chrome
by Chigal48 / September 19, 2011 9:40 PM PDT

Bad for my computer....slow....and kept crashing.

Collapse -
Pale Moon
by Lance B / October 10, 2011 1:42 PM PDT

Pale Moon is the fastest I have ever used.

Collapse -
Chrome is very fast but it takes too much CPU. I think good
by bella2011111 / December 5, 2011 4:14 PM PST

Chrome is very fast but it takes too much CPU. I think good browsers which are both more stable and faster</div>

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 4:18 PM PST

Maybe it's fast, because it makes effective use of the CPU? Do you prefer a browser that uses less of the CPU so is slower?

Collapse -
by xguy03 / December 5, 2011 9:37 PM PST
In reply to: Re: CPU

I've had Google Chrome for quite a while and love it. It is my fastest brower yet and think I'll try Pale Moon and Slim Browser which both I've never heard of until now.

Collapse -
Depends on the user and the computer
by talks_44 / December 30, 2011 4:01 AM PST

Chrome and FireFox are the top choices in my mind, after that would be Opera and then Safari

Collapse -
I prefer Firefox
by foxmetrics / December 31, 2011 1:07 PM PST

I always use Firefox. It provides many useful feature. It is best according to me. I am working in SEO field for which it provides many features such as pr viewer , dofollow etc.

Collapse -
Have you tried a combination of chrome/firefox/ie?
by mousseauchocolat / January 9, 2012 4:21 PM PST

Try Avant Browser pre-alpha 108, a tri-core browser. Grin you'll see a big advantage on it.

Collapse -
Speed Test shows Pale Moon to be the fastest.
by Lance B / April 23, 2012 9:54 AM PDT

We now do browser speed tests in our shop once every three months. In the last three tests Pale Moon has won each time. The difference in speed isn't huge but it is noticeable. Browsers like Lynx and Avant also do well but in the last year or so have slipped behind Firefox. In the same time frame, Chrome has gone from always finishing in the top 3 to not even making the top 6. Even IE beat it in the test we did. Opera has also dropped the ball it seems in the last year.

Our tests are done on 10 vastly different machines.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 23, 2012 9:18 PM PDT

Is Lynx now a full fledged GUI browser or is it still a Text Browser?

If it is still a text only browser then I am surprised your tests show it is now behind the full graphic interface browsers of the others.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.